cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Trigger on BBC news.
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 19:12
I am disappointed in you Wickham, and this is for the first time ever.

Re. the 3rd. paragraph of your posting of 11.57 this morning. I don't confess to "have achieved much in my own life" but I truly believe that achievement in life does not solely rest in our own hands. Furthermore, IMO there is a wide divide between "criticism" and "abuse", and they should not be lumped together. The latter is totally unacceptable.

Also, whilst most contributors to this site will probably have played cricket in some form, be it in the back garden, school playground, local club or even to a perceived higher standard, I strongly suspect that very few of us have played the game at First Class level.

Does this not mean that every county cricketer of whatever team "has generally done much better than all of us"?

Is my ego fragile? Well, I think I know the answer to that, but others may disagree.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:06
This is the only way to answer your critics and that is with the bat, keep going PT.

Grockle (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:08
and what's thhe betting that the ultra abusive 14 year old thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread tonight. These idiots have no concept of degree and the memory span of a goldfish.

(Sm72)

nelliec (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:14
Superb knock Trigger.Game on

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:16
He will probably take the credit for it.

Edit - the fourteen year old boy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2017 20:20 by Mike TA1.

Wickham (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:24
CP - I did write "most free with their criticism". So, I am not, of course, suggesting that there should never be any criticism - but am suggesting that (in my view) some go too far, even if their comments don't descend into abuse.

Also, I didn't suggest that all those who haven't achieved much in their lives (which of us has?) make unreasonable criticisms or give out abuse - but simply suggesting that many of those who do abuse or criticise unfairly have achieved little themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2017 20:28 by Wickham.

AGod (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:25
We should, possibly, remember that he is only 14, however.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:35
Like a badly trained dog, it will be the owners (parents) fault.

Grockle (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:37
So he has time to learn the lessons he should now be being taught.

Wickham - one man's 'abuse' is another man's 'disagreement' as well. I doubt Peter is a delicate little flower but some do dislike any disagreement with their view and can cry 'foul' easily and immediately. Mr Trump comes to mind.

There is a whole spectrum of what could be classified as 'abuse'

I think it stated somewhere that Vaughan blocks anyone who disagrees with him - a little over the top perhaps.

(Sm72)

Germiston lad (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:47
Quote:
brt1919
There's an article on BBC site now. Vaughan is correct of course, but what a poor poor response his is. He's a pundit, so he benefits from Pete & others being on social media & all the extra info pundits would never have got years ago. The solution is not to ignore the abuse or turn phones off, but educate kids better to have just a tiny bit of respect for others who are doing their best & accept that only ne team can win, & players do not deliberately lose a match (yeah I know a tiny % have).

Vaughan was not correct. The point he missed was that this was a private message to Trigger.It was foul and unrepeatable.

Vaughan's response: to ignoring it, is typical of todays acceptance of boorish behaviour and commenting without checking the facts with Trigger. Why the hell should any one accept it!

it is also typical of society to have a go at the victim and offer no criticism of the perpetrator.

The young man should be made aware that there are consequences for your actions.

brt1919 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 23:18
I agree with you Germiston lad - what I was getting at is that Vaughan is factually correct in saying that if someone is abusing you on social media, you can turn your phone off & you don't see it. But it was a stupid reply. Why can't people in the public eye use social media like the rest of us.

stockmos (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 09:30
Quote:
Roger ivanhoe
Stockmos, you might be right , but drinking and bad behaviour at test matches is on the increase.

I've attended Test cricket in 2012, 2013, 2015 and this year - including 2 Ashes games - and not experienced any problems or witnessed any "bad behaviour", though of course some drink too much and can become irritating, though not where I've been sitting.

Been to Blast games including at the Oval and again nothing beyond some relatively harmless drunken nonsense.

I then googled for examples of crowd trouble, arrests and violence at both T20 Blast games and Test matches - so I've actually gone looking for examples - and literally the only thing I can find is at Headingley on the Western Terrace in 1996 - 21 years ago.

By far the worst period for trouble at English cricket matches was in fact during the 18th century - several serious incidents are well-documented, and those are just the ones that were written about in a time when many things went unrecorded.

Grockle (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 10:17
I doubt local problems go any farther than eviction from the ground so are unlikely to be recorded anywhere but within the county secutiy files. There have been evictions of supporters worse for wearand/or abusive at Taunton usually during local derby T20s recently. I think some Surrey supporters were shown the door this summer and there was some unrest at the Glamorgam game though I'm not sure what the result was.

There can be issues to do with the changing of membership seatimg areas where non cricketing punters are given seats in.membrrs areas and clash over levels of knowledge of the game and its etiquette.

Effective stewarding sorts most of this out but as with airlines, effective identification of drunks early could help. You don't have to sell them any more when they've been around the town twice before they arrive for a game they can hardly see and you don't have to let them in if they are already disruptive.

However, the present nature and timing of T20 games does not suggest there will be a 'family' atmosphere at the game unless you work to create it. Whether the ideal is enthusiastic women and kids at the ground, they don't raise the revenue that young guys on the @#$%& raise.

(Sm72)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net