cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Re: Thursday T20 QF @ Trent Bridge
Grockle (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 00:00
Yeah I think you got it about right but Hampshire and this game suggest we can progress if we look at it seriously.

(Sm72)

Wickham (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 01:31
Not the news I had been hoping to wake up to. I suspect that losing our star batsman this year - Myburgh - for 0 was one of the decisive factors.

RadstockRob (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 02:08
I went to Weymouth for the day and forgot to set Sky+ in the morning.

What a brilliant move that was!

Arrived home,put Sky on ,the game was in the bag for us.

Went out to kitchen to make a coffee,walked back into living room, game was over.

Quickly clicked on tinternet to see how much we'd won by.

Oh dear never mind.It's not proper cricket !

New Street station is not a pleasant place to be early on a Saturday morning in the football season.

Villa and Brum square up in The Bullring every Saturday morning.

Grockle (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 05:29
It csn be a little strsnge most evenings.

(Sm72)

Therfield (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 07:36
Well done Somerset for a pretty decent T20 campaign, especially that for the most part we were playing without a fully fit overseas player. Someone like Gayle, Finch, etc could have made a huge difference and the loyal support, with fantastic attendances surely justify the additional expenditure required to fund such an acquisition?

I've been comparing T20 averages and ours compare very favourably with teams such as Notts, who have done so well.

I believe that Craig Overton will become in great demand if he can vary his pace and bowl less buffet balls.

Lewis Gregory has done extremely well, considering he's carrying a back injury, so again great promise when fully fit.

Max Waller has been superb and his fielding and boundless enthusiasm are a tremendous bonus.

What a pleasure to see Pete Trego rediscover some form.

Post unfinished due to annoyance with CAPTCHA feature frequently interrupting thought process.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 09:01
My reflection on the match.

Obvious out total was not enough, should have been nearer two hundred.

In saying that I think we did well in making a match of it, it looked like it was going to be an easier win for Notts than it turned out to be.

We were always up against it when three of the top five batsmen didn't score runs – LG (3) JM (0) and JH (0) Michael Leask scored 1 and didn't bowl, surely one of the second XI players who has been scoring runs would have been better!

The last of the T20 for us (thank god).

Grockle (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 09:05
Thanks Therfield.

Sorry that I have no control on what frames the post but I'll let the tech boys know. Could I ask you if you have s moment to report the issue?

Thanks.

Yes we have had a patchy year but on balance we"ve been on the plus side more than the negatìve.and javen't had sll the good fortune.

Let's hope that Max can end his proper T20 career here before he's forced to become a mercenary franchise '@#$%&' by his own controlling body.

(Sm72)

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 12:14
If it had not been for our two leading batsmen, Myburgh and Hildreth, we would never have reached the quarter-final. It was therefore sad that they made exactly zero between them in two balls. Forty runs between them and we might well have won last night.

Such things happen and we are all, I hope, still alive this morning.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 12:39
Quite right LoL, some are not so lucky I am going to my neighbours funeral this afternoon and sadly one of our friends from the Gimblett's Hill Ian Bradbrook (RIP) has passed away.

25 August, 2017 12:57
Sorry to hear of the death of another member of the Gimblett's Hill brigade, but there is no better place in which to spend the latter years of one's life.

LoL

AGod (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 14:03
Let's face it: we are an average T20 side who fought an average campaign.

However, said averageness was a step up from the lamentable efforts of the previous two years.

25 August, 2017 16:05
In reference to the exchange above about Gimblett's Hill, it has occurred to me that those of us who - unaccountably - have never been picked for Somerset but who still aspire to bat for our ounty in the next life should ensure that when we sit on Gimblett's Hill we always have our pads on...

LoL

Farmer White (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 07:51
Somewhat belatedly for those not there and still interested in T20 as the Championship revives:

T20 QF Trent Bridge Nottinghamshire v Somerset 24 August 2017

Somerset 151 for 6 (20.0) Nottinghamshire 153 for 5 (18.3)

It wasn’t quite as close as Trego’s brilliantly judged catch in the end but Somerset fought hard in this match against a superior team. They only lost contact with the opposition in the last few overs as the diminishing target gave the Nottinghamshire batsmen the confidence to attack on a pitch on which it had looked more difficult to get the ball away than it does on many T20 pitches.

As to the catch I thought it was clean and clearly so. I probably had one of the better views. I sat at right angles to the flight of the ball on the side of the ground where the catch was taken. There was clear air between Trego’s hands and the grass when he took the ball and it did not bounce. I immediately and involuntarily said, “That was clean.” The local Somerset supporter sat next to me instantly said something similar. It was an exceptional catch, Trego diving full length down the line of the ball. Had it bounced it would probably have hit him full in the face.

Hales took a different view along with a group of chanting Nottinghamshire supporters nearby and a number of other home supporters. Who would be an umpire, even a third one, for the catch was replayed over and over again on the big screen so that we could all see what the third umpire was seeing as he made his decision. Hales did not like the decision and left no-one in any doubt. It is true some of the replays cast some doubt, others did not. From what I have seen of these replays over the years if ‘some’ doubt was enough to give someone not out then almost all would be given not out. There was nothing in my view to warrant overturning this decision.

The catch was indicative of the quality of Somerset’s fielding in this match. Myburg’s run out of Taylor was exceptional. Taylor was well out of his ground but that was in part due to the lightning speed of Myburg’s reaction coming in from backward point and the accuracy of his throw aiming at one stump from over two pitch widths away. With the keeper back the direct hit was the only option. Taylor was furious with Patel, but it was Patel’s call and had he been watching his partner rather than the ball Taylor might not have left his ground.

When Patel’s turn came he had Lewis Gregory to thank for a vignette of which Gary Lineker would have been proud. Gregory raced Patel up the pitch as Lineker might have a defender and from 3 or 4 yards connected with the ball with his left instep and stroked it into the stumps as Lineker might have stroked a Gascoigne pass inside the near post. Perhaps all that football practice has its uses after all. It was as graceful a kicked run out as I have seen. Perhaps Gregory’s new found confidence and discipline with the bat and his taking to captaincy like a duck to water is permeating his whole game.

Somerset’s outfielding was faultless. A catch from Roland van de Merwe, to add to Trego’s and a well-judged one in the deep by Overton, reflecting the standard. Moores had pulled Gregory just behind square. Van de Merwe ran along the boundary from further behind square and caught the ball in a controlled fall to his left in front of his left shoulder. It reduced Nottinghamshire to 33 for 3 and helped create the pressure which brought about Taylor’s run out at 66 for 4. Leask too caught a high ball beyond the boundary having jumped high and backwards from inside the rope and managed to throw it back in before he hit the ground turning 6 into 2 though too late in the game to make a difference. It typified Somerset’s zeal, incisiveness and determination in the field throughout the Nottinghamshire innings.

It was Somerset’s innings or at least Nottinghamshire’s control of it which in the end determined the match. 151-6 never felt like enough even if the pitch was slower than previous T20 scores at Trent Bridge this season suggest might have been expected. The pitch had an odd look about it. Shiny from side on, almost like the shiny side of an old red ball. In consistency, as far as you can tell from 70 yards, rolled plasticine sprang to mind.

Somerset may have been the victims of the batting strategy that has set up most of their wins in this competition. ‘High risk’ Matthew Maynard once called it. Attack, attack, attack is what it looks like. Spectacularly effective if it comes off. Embarrassing to watch if it doesn’t. As with most bold strategies there is always a risk of a day of reckoning. Had it worked one more time Somerset might have now been contemplating Edgbaston on 2nd September given the resolute way in which they defended 151 when it failed.

As it was Gregory’s stride down the wicket to drive his sixth ball through the on side resulted in him playing around it and losing his middle stump to Ball. Perhaps his lack of runs in the first two overs telling. Myburg’s attempt to drive his first ball, also from Ball, through the off side resulted in an inside edge to the keeper. Myburg was undone because, if my reading of the replay on the big screen was accurate, the ball moved in slightly off the seam.

Somerset had lost the two batsmen who have exemplified their approach more than any and who have got Somerset off on the road to their winning totals. If you are watching in a small Test Ground with high stands like Trent Bridge and the stand you are in has a canopy roof you know when the opposition supporters value a wicket because the roar which goes up replicates the solid wall of sound roar that followed Mo Farah and David Ward around the Olympic Stadium when they pursued gold. I was there for the latter. It was such a roar for Myburg’s wicket.

Davies batting, against the early Nottinghamshire tide, began to show some of what had been promised when he came to Somerset. In this innings he watched Patel and then went straight to the accelerator. Gurney was clipped to fine leg, Christian cut behind square, Ball driven hard through mid off, Patel twice scooped, once perfectly over the head of short fine leg all for 4. He swept Patel for 6, bringing up a resounding chorus of “Somerset La La La” which rather belied the relatively small but concentrated group of Somerset supporters from whece it came. He pulled too the nagging medium pace of Mullaney for another 6. Even the sixes coaxed rather than hit off the bat, his batting as undemonstrative as his keeping. Had he chosen pickpocketing as a career he would be a rich man.

Trego has been slower to start since his return to the side and here after 8 balls he had scored 2. Then the Trego of old began to come to life. A boundary steered to long leg. Two sixes, one pulled in front of square the other driven destructively so far over long on a new ball was sought. No cricketing pick pocket he. And then another four, cut past the wide third man fielder, so well place it ignited the “Somerset La La La” chorus and a final one off Mullaney slog swept behind square. Finally he pulled a short one and was caught, brilliantly, by the running, diving Ball on the square boundary in front of the Somerset contingent. “Not’n’mshire La La La,” pointed the home fans. Up stood the Somerset contingent in immediate response, “Somerset La la La.” Trego 40 off34.

They had taken Somerset from 17 for 2 in the 3rd over to 103 for 3 in the 13th. They took the supporters from the depths of anxiety to the edge of hope. But a charge would have to come if a competitive total was to be posted. It never really did as the Nottinghamshire bowlers stuck to their nagging task. Hildreth seemingly bamboozled by Patel chipping his first ball low back to him. The replay suggested he changed his stroke. Somerset’s top two run scorers in the T20 this season both out first ball and the third highest scorer at the start of the match out for 3. 102 for 4.

118 for 5 when Davies pulled to deep midwicket. “Nott’n’mshire La La La” thundered the home singers. “Somerset La La La” came the instant reply. Michael Leask came to the wicket and departed shortly afterwards having driven straight down long on’s throat, as they say, more in hope than anticipation it seemed from beyond the boundary. Cheering without the singing from the Nottinghamshire crowd. 103 for 2 had become a desperate 118 for 6 with just four overs remaining.

Ball bowled the 17th over and van de Merwe and Overton drove him safely along the ground rather than trying to clear the ropes. Constrained by his pace and accuracy and the straight boundaries at Trent Bridge a distant sight from the crease. 6 runs from the over.

Gurney bowled the 18th. Van de Merwe steered the first through slip for four. Overton turned the third fine for two well run runs the throws from the long straight boundaries often leaving the wicket keeper with some gathering to do. The fourth Overton drove straight, hard and clean the only result the demolition of the stumps at the other end. The sixth van de Merwe skied into the hands of the deep fine leg fielder, the batsmen completing two runs as the umpire signalled no ball. “Somerset La La La La,” only for van de Merwe to miss the free hit. “Nott’n’mshire La la La.” Bowlers seem to be adapting to the free hit ball. They seem now to go for fewer runs than was once the case. 12 runs though from the over. 137 for 6.

The 19th came from Ball. 5 runs from it as the ball repeatedly found the fielders, the batsmen looking constrained in their attempts to get it away. The pace of his accuracy perhaps leaving little time to fashion an innovative stroke. Van de Merwe though used all of his innovation against the last ball to drop on one knee and play a delicious late cut for four. 9 runs. 146 for 6.

The final over from Gurney perhaps a summation of the strength of the Nottinghamshire bowling. The one bouncer netted an edged single. Four other singles from accurate full balls driven to the deep fielders. 5 runs. 151 for 6.

Davies and Trego, and van de Merwe briefly, at the end had gathered in the runs but they never really turned the Nottinghamshire tide. Overton in the closing overs, capable of fast scoring and big hitting held to less than a run a ball. The pace of the innings more to do with the quality of the bowling than weakness in the top order batting.

As the innings ended and the evening darkened the lights began to take effect. The sky beyond the stand opposite mine, as if on cue, produced a wonderful sunset. Thin bands of distant cloud interspersed with pale strips of sky produce a canvas of subtle pastel greys, pinks, purples, oranges and blues framed on either side by the brilliant white intensity of the floodlights. At its centre sat the large thin crescent of a new moon. This year’s harvest moon. If moons have any influence this one may be crucial because it becomes full on the first day of Somerset’s Championship match against Warwickshire. Tradition forbids me from telling the wish I invested in the powers of that new moon on this my first sighting.

Not daunted by the balance of the match Somerset’s bowlers challenged Nottinghamshire head on. Max Waller in the van with the wicket of Wessells when the innings was as young as the presiding moon. “Waller for England” incanted the Somerset choir. Overton then bowled a curate’s egg. Three fours and three pinning dots although one of the fours rolled over the boundary having been skied just beyond Waller’s running range. Then another egg for the curate from van Meekeren. One four, one six and four dots Nottinghamshire awaithing the ball to hit. Then a captain’s over. Trego’s brilliant catch, Hales reluctant departure, 2 runs, “Somerset La La La” and 28 for 2 from 4.

Then Overton. On song. 6 runs and Roelof van de Merwe’s catch. 10 runs off Gregory. Patel and Taylor trying to get into their stride. They cut, drove and pushed van de Merwe’s next over but only to the fielders. 5 runs. Then Waller, a four and four singles. A glance at the scoreboard. 57 for 3. Duckworth Lewis 59. Close. And it felt that close. The hushed buzz reflecting it. Somerset were holding Nottinghamshire.

A breathless look at the sky. Much darker now overhead. The lights in full command of the ground. But not of the sunset. That had turned magical. Much more vivid than earlier as it and its glowing palette stood out from the darkening sky. The moon brightly golden. The lights showing much brighter than earlier but the sunset showing the limitations of the lights. They held no sway beyond the ground. There nature ruled and it ruled gloriously.
In the ground it was not clear who ruled. Nottinghamshire’s dominance in the Somerset innings now had wobbly knees. Somerset’s star challenging it. “Somerset La La La” rampant. Somerset’s fielders predatory.

Tim Groenewald appeared as if out of nowhere. Two leg side wides, the bane of the white ball bowler’s life and 5 singles reflecting otherwise his accuracy. The runs scored from drives or turns into the on side reflecting the fullness of his length. And Myburg’s phenomenal run out, worthy of the display in the heavens. 69 for 4. DL 75. Waller at his restrictive best. Five drives to the deep fielders. 74 for 4 off 11. 78 needed off 9. Groenewald again. Four drives, 3 runs. The required run rate now 9 an over. One of those singles a misjudged lofted drive from Patel which carried almost too far only to bounce a foot in front of a hard diving Waller.

And, Gregory’s passing skills apart, that was it for Somerset. Two balls later Groenewald over pitched by perhaps as much as the earlier ball had landed short of Waller and this one cleared the ropes followed by a steer to the third man boundary. 13 from the over, 10 of them from the last two balls and Nottinghamshire were 87 for 4. DL 87. The match statistically in the balance. It didn’t feel like it though. The ball falling so close to Waller and the six from the slight overpitching of Groenewald perhaps highlighting how much, with the quality and depth of the Nottinghamshire batting and the limitations of the Somerset total, just how little room for error Somerset had.

The Nottinghamshire club must have sensed it too for suddenly the PA played ‘Hi Ho Silver Lining’ and soon ‘Sweet Caroline’ the singing section of their crowd joining in both with gusto. Followed by “Nottn’m’shire…” The Somerset contingent steadfast in response with “Somerset La La La.”

As so often seems to happen once the bowlers’ spell is broken when defending a low total the match swung almost inexorably to the batting side. Waller’s next over conceding a six and a four and van Meekeren’s a six and two fours. The flame throwers in the front of my stand and the Nottinghamshire crowd in full flow. The heat on Somerset as hot as the palpable heat from the flamethrowers. The sunset now fading and the moon sinking fast into the low bands of cloud on the urban horizon. How quickly sunsets can fade. “You’re not singing any more,” rang out from the Notinghamshire choir. “Somerset La La La,” the instant reply.

Somerset though facing defeat with the sunset all but gone fought back. Now followed three overs without a boundary, two from van de Merwe and one from Gregory’s including his precision footwork. 15 runs and the run out. Three overs now left. 128 for 5. DL 124. But 24 needed from 3 with 5 wickets left felt a lost cause. 19 from Overton’s next over confirmed it was. As so often in T20 a batting side with wickets in hand able to strike its way to victory over the last few overs. The sky had gone dark. The Nottinghamshire roar and singing were cacophonous. The Somerset choir went down with their ship singing right to the end.

There has been talk of ‘problems’ at the Club particularly at the time of the departure of Adam Hose. Like most beyond the boundary I don’t know the truth or otherwise of that talk. The fighting spirit the team showed in this match though spoke otherwise and the Somerset travelling crowd responded and got right behind their team right to the end.

Was it worth eight and a half hours on a coach? Yes.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net