cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 14 of 16

Re: Warwickshire v Somerset CC1
Wickham (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 15:28
Great stuff - a real team performance.

From what I saw from the live feed, TG consistently bowled a challenging line and length and deserved his five wickets. He is something of an unsung hero.

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 15:40
Great team performance and victory, with particular praise today to TG - never lets us down.

As an aside, and not a criticism, it seems to me that Jack rarely has a great final day when things appear to be in his favour on a turning pitch. I may be mistaken, but it seems like it to me. I'd guess that Moeen Ali is similar for the Test team, while the likes of Murali would, without fail, be predictably unplayable on spin-friendly last day pitches. I know that Murali was a whole different class from JL or MA, but even so... Maybe it's pressure, nerves, technique, I don't know.

Anyway, most importantly: game on!

AGod (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 15:48
He did a perfectly good job in the other declaration game vs Warks on the TV a few years ago. He was also bang on the money at Headingley last season on the final day - went through Yorkshire like a knife through butter.

Then there's the various home games last season when the ball turned plenty - admittedly, they may not have been the final day as in final scheduled day (4) but they were final days of play that actually took place during those respective matches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 15:57 by AGod.

Wickham (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 16:12
My impression in this match, SP, was that there was less spin on the final couple of days than on the first two.

Tumbles (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 16:27
Pitch definitely died in 3 and 4 innings as was evident from the higher individual batsmen scores.

AGod (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 16:29
After day 3, Marcus suggested that day 2 was the best day for batting i.e 3 worse for batting than 2. So that wouldn't be completely compatible with that notion.

In fact, it was Warks that had most of day two to bat in, and they did an awful job of it, with four of their top six throwing their wickets away.

rodders (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 16:31
Well done to everyone = just need more of the same for the rest of the season !

wsm fan (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 16:39
What an all round perfect performance.
Apart from the day 2 collapse (which actually helped advance the game) we won every session.

Well timed declaration.
Great knocks from Tom x2 Hildy & Sir Marcus.

Agree Surrey away will be hugely difficult to get a win from so its either 2 home wins or stay within 13/14pts of Middlesex and beat them in the final game (dangerous with late September weather but more so light)

Farmer White (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 16:51
This is quality. Just as worthy of remark as the skill in the catch I saw him take at Trent Bridge in the T20 QF. Of such skill and character should our team be made:

Somerset Cricket
🏏 Retweeted
Peter Trego‏Verified account @tregs140 59m59 minutes ago

Peter Trego Retweeted Brian Halford

Like me Nan used to say, manners cost not a penny, There are many unsung hero's working in county cricket.... and we love our grub 🥑🍗

Peter Trego added,
Brian Halford @brainhaldorf
And before departing Edgbaston, @tregs140 takes time to thank the dining-room catering-staff for their work over the last four days #class
2 replies . 4 retweets 25 likes

Read up from the bottom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 16:52 by Farmer White.

nelliec (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 17:04
One big advantage in the equation next week is that both Lancs and ourselves require a win desperately so a contrived result is very likely,if the game is affected by the weather.
That's next week,in the meantime great result today and back in the mix of things.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 17:08
Surely Somerset fans don't approve of contrived results?

(Sm159)

AGod (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 17:12
I don't. I've said many times that I LOATHE declaration bowling.

The only 'contrivance,' that I don't loath is the old "Side x forfeits second innings, die y forfeits first innings."

I don't have a problem with that situation where side A makes 350 on day one, days two and three are washed away and then there is a double forfeiture at the start of day four with the side batting chasing 351 to win - that's okay. That's creating a one innings per side match and both sides try their hardest on both days one and four.

But the spectacle of professional sportsmen consciously not trying - which is what occurs with declaration bowling is, in my view, entirely unedifying and loathsome.

I shall NOT change my tune should Somerset and Lancs resort to that utter rubbish next week, Chunky, I can assure you. I deplore it.

08 September, 2017 17:13
AGod-

Your sainthood is in the post.

AGod (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 17:17
oh, and for the avoidance of doubt, it is almost NEVER a good idea to declare at Taunton.

FW produced some stats the other week. I think they encompassed the past sixteen such declarations at Taunton (they may have been final day declarations only). I think the results were either five draws and eleven wins for the side batting last or vice-a-versa.

The salient point was ZERO wins for the side making the declaration. None, nil, zip, nada.

So, UNLESS results in other games have gone against us, I would NOT favour a SCCC declaration on the final day if we've batted first at Taunton unless, of course it's of the - we have a colossal lead and are just declaring to give ourselves a shot at bowling them out (they have no real hope of winning) variety. Setting up a game at Taunton will not be worth it if we're going to be bowling last UNLESS Middx/Yorks have already won/are going great guns in their games etc in other words, if we are desperate.

AGod (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 17:19
haha Chunky, yes... but, seriously, in what other professional sport do we see one side deliberately and obviously not trying? Can anyone think of any? I'm not talking about a team on a bung trying to inconspicuously play badly like Sheff Wednesday at Portman Road back in the sixties.

Pub teams don't engage in this garbage and yet pro teams do - unreal!

sandhills (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 17:23
Could there be some bufet bowling at headingley as i type!

08 September, 2017 17:37
sandhills- No. I was listening to commentary. Simply Middlesex declined to declare at the earliest opportunity, as bonus points for both sides still at stake. But normal batting and bowling. It takes both sides to agree to a draw and walk off, although I suppose the batting side can force the issue by declaring, as no point in Yorkshire coming out to bat for 6 overs.

nelliec (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 18:28
Wasn't there a rule which prevents sides declaring to deprive other teams from gaining bonus points.Both Essex and Middlesex declared when 8 down.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 19:10
Latest table. 13 points the difference, a full points win over Middlesex in the last game should do it. [www.espncricinfo.com]

Old Boy! (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 20:02
A great effort by the team. Surprising but enterprising performance by TG. I believe that Jack and Dominic are as good a pair of spinners bowling in tandem as any possessed by other counties. Whatever the weather I do hope that MM does not take the partnership apart because whatever the circumstances they both seem to keep good control when bowling. Pleased for Marcus that he proved a few of us (including me) wrong.

Although the odds are still against us staying up it will be an interesting September.

Old Boy!

Current Page: 14 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net