cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 15 of 16

Re: Warwickshire v Somerset CC1
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 21:31
nellie, that's the point under discussion on the Other Counties thread...

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 21:34
I was too busy with domestic and grandparental duties to be able to follow today's play and so decided to take a very relaxed view. assuming that we would win on the simple grounds that we deserved to, having played much the better cricket in the match. I note that we can still finish 3rd in the table with the 72 points we expect to earn over the final three matches.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Ronniesabre (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 21:43
Excellent result and performance- much work to be done!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 21:44 by Ronniesabre.

Farmer White (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 23:21
LoL if we get the 24 points you predict against Lancashire next week surely they will be so demoralised we will finish second. Can I suggest you get the grandchildren to work the calculator. It is what they are for. That and working the remote. Assuming it can be found.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 00:08
Well done Tom, our bowlers and the Met Office (but not the BBC). I should never have doubted.

wsm fan (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 06:31
We just have to survive as Worcs looking good for going up & i have misses new road.
I really really dont want to go to Bristol & Cardiff. Derby Leics Northants & Kent dont excite me either.
Not that we'd play everywhere as silly div2 structure means only play 7 of the 9 away anyway.....
Sky showing Warwicks v Essex match live this week

AGod (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 07:30
Let's not bother with this 'going down,' mularkey, guys. Time to rise up and DOMINATE.

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 09:42
Totally agree AGod, and I must say I do like your positive posting.

Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 10:24
Ok so whose stolen Agod.

AGod (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 10:42
Well, all of a sudden we have reason to think (of multiple batsmen) 'Next time they go out there they may well make a good score.'

First time all season that I've felt that.

It is far easier to envision winning cricket matches when players have displayed form!

As Tom said there's been no rhythm all season because almost nobody had actually spent anytime in the middle. I think we got a good 140 overs in over the past few days.

Whilst it wasn't good for my blood pressure given the weather that was around, I think it will also be better for us, in the future, that Warks didn't just roll over for a second time in the match. ... makes us more hardened for the battles to come.

If he's not been called into the ODI set up (I've not seen the squads) then Liam Livingstone will surely be next week's prize wicket. Of course Mr Hameed may be restored to form and might prove a significant obstacle at the top of the order.

09 September, 2017 11:03
You are quite right, Farmer White. I misread the table. We can indeed finish second so we might as well do that

My grandsons were mistakenly born in metropolitan Kent, which is unfortunate, for if they can transform their unceasing energy into proficiency at cricket they will be world beaters. In the meantime I shall rely on them to do the calculations from now on.

LoL

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 11:04
"Let's not bother with this 'going down,' mularkey, guys. Time to rise up and DOMINATE."

An excellent team performance over the last 4 days I agree.

However, as much as AGod's newly found confidence is to be applauded, I myself feel obliged to stick to my prediction of months ago that we will drop down into Div 2 next season.

I traditionally mean what I say and do not feel it right for me to jump ship on account of only our second CC win of the season. We still have 3 tough fixtures to get through as well as the vagaries of the weather going almost into October. None of our opponents will give us an inch, and I wouldn't expect them to.

If my prediction turns out to be correct, then so be it, for I was certainly not the only poster on here to arrive at the same conclusion. If I am wrong, then that is fine by me as well for we shall have much to discuss in 2018.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

AGod (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 11:40
Yeah, for me it's not the win, but the runs and the identities of those that got them.

I would have read very little into, for example:

Somerset 145 (Craig Overton 50) and 161 (Overton 50, Leach 35) beat Warwickshire 100 and 100 by 106 runs.

Grockle (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 15:37
I'd like to see the domination we had this week against less shell shocked opposition. We've been a strong and aggressive bowling unit most of the season It's the domination by the front of the batting. unit that has been lacking. We need to see that more than once and against all comers.

I think I'll stick by my earlier prediction too. It was too early then to write off a whole side for a whole season. Let's see how it pans out and it isn't over till the fat lady sings.

If we do survive i do hope there is DISCUSSION in the Winter but having been here before it will probably be just more of the same;

'Well they were bloody lucky to survive this year by the skin of their teeth and if they don't get rid of X, Y and Z and reconstruct the whole corrupt management structure
and buy in a whole second team they'll be regulation fodder by the end of April 2018 and EVERYTHING will be the fault of......' Hmmm I wonder who it will be next year?

Let's hope it's a little better than that whichever way it goes.

(Sm72)

09 September, 2017 16:24
I am sure you have all noted that (if my figures are accurate) Somerset have scored at 25.83 per wicket this season and the opposition have scored at exactly the same rate.

Not bad for a side 7th in the table.

LoL

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:06
Yes, it will be more of the same Grockle.

I am sharpening my pencil already in anticipation.

Keep hoping; I am told it springs eternal.

Grockle (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:36
Yes I assumed as much Clarence.

Ahh well the constant members of the forum will try and teach you and your colleagues some spectrum of balance once again.

Unless, of course we play better and you disappear until the gloom you can glean from a poor performance gives you something to complain about..

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:37
I don't think anyone has ever described our management as 'corrupt,' on these pages.

Grockle (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:40
Really? No conversations about financial misdealings? Profiteering from the punters? Jobs for the boys? Unprofessional conduct? Working to a Personal Agenda? Conspiracy Theories?

Really? Must have misread then.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 18:20 by Grockle.

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:40
Really? Yes!

These misgivings are all in your mind, unless you can prove it.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Current Page: 15 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net