cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time until I see some live home cricket. Bring on 2017!!!

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Re: So here's a bit of Clarity
AGod (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 12:46
He fits top three. He would be more likely to be in touch - as playing currently - than Mr Zaman would have been.

I'm pretty sure that we've operated with an overseas player for fewer matches this season than any other CC1 outfit and we really haven't shown great recruitment ability in this regard - I'm sure other counties must have suffered disruption, certain guys only available for certain games (as overseas players) etc... I doubt we've been uniquely unfortunate.

deanjones (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 13:32
not sure what happened with somerset they always used to sign the best players available . nowadays its very ordinary players that are signed tanvir a retired jayawardene Anderson a crock and Elgar to play 20/20 not a lot of thought with any of them, and gayle x2 he ran off with the money the first season early! but he deserved another go lol! vdm very ordinary player trying to punch above his weight and rogers, certainly he was passed his best, but while he was here we were harder to beat tougher?.doc was responsible for all those signings and that is why the club is struggling . his personality is not bringing in players of quality for some reason I wonder why that is? complete changed needed here

deanjones (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 13:37
will also say players coming through are steve snell s doing not maynard byrom ,rouse , bess , i will add dom bess has two brothers who are supposedly better than him josh and zak winter signings maybe?

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 14:24
Josh and Zak are Dom's cousins, not his brothers. Josh is 29 and Zak 24. There is a third brother Luke who is 26. All 3 play for Devon. Fine cricketers who I'm sure Somerset are aware of but I think if they'd been potential first-class players they'd have been signed up already.

Grockle (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 14:56
Gayle made buckets of money for more than him. Did you notice Dean played CC1 as well? Colin Ingram? Even Tom Cooper when they played him in the right form? Ronchi? We all know what VdmM brings and MM wasn't the first to sign him. Rogers as a captain was exactly what was needed and we'd have had him again this year if MM had gone himself.

You don't remember Mendis then or Jayasuriya or Omari Banks or the Turner or the South African guy who hardly played. Other DoC's pick ringers and their name isn't Maynard.

If you don't like him then fine but don't be selective to try and put him in some kind of military industrial complex conspiracy to destroy Somerset after assassinating JFK.

Where have all these young boys come from? Are they here despite the Maynard era? Why are they staying? Or is it ALL Steve Snell despite the rest of the management?

Some are good at somethings. Some are good at others. MM is mediocre in some aspects and needs to listen and change but he is NOT the Anti Christ working with dark forces with the sole aim of destroying the once Mighty SCCC. We've had our days but that's all up to now.

(Sm72)

deanjones (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 15:30
LOL that grockle is a serious dude! I will put him in the like corner for the doc, plenty of space there ! would hate to see your/our beloved somerset end up like Leicestershire they were once very successful in all formats and now .....

Dave65 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 15:56
A small step in the right direction getting rid of some players who are not good enough in the cases of Allenby and Leask, it also shows that there was at least 50% of truth in the cricinfo report, I said at the time that I would have been stunned if cricinfo had published a complete load of rubbish and clearly they didn't, despite the clubs protests. Just Davey and Trego to say thank you and goodbye to now and we have then at least cleared out the deadwood.

In the case of Ryan Davies I am dissappointed to see him go as he was thrown in at the deep end last year and although he did struggle early on towards the end of the season he did begin to show some ability with the bat good innings in the championship at home to Durham and away to Lancs spring to mind along with a good innings in the 50 over Semi at Birmingham. I completley understand why this season he has been replaced in the Championship side and a season learning his game in the longer form would have made sense, however it was disappointing that he only got a couple of games (when S.Davies was injured) in the limited overs team, despite Maynard saying on previous ocassions that he would play in the shorter forms.

AGod (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 16:24
Thank you, Craig - another IMMENSE performance from this man.

Grockle (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 18:39
Like it or nor Dean.

MM is not our only DoC with an under performing side. If you want to come on with the conspiracy theory, back it up with a bit more than stating a bit of a case and then suggesting anyone with any other opinion they can back up is some kind of looney.

Bring yer best game boy....we've been here a while and have seen more than Matthew Maynard and his quirks.

We don't have to either like OR dislike Mr Maynard here. We are able to see good and bad. Strength and Weaknesses and we've heard far too many conspiracies that have come to nothing to be bothered by another.

Welcome anyway

(Sm72)

deanjones (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 20:08
HEY grockle where did you get that idea that a different opinion than mine, that they could back up I would think of them as some kind of looney?! you are way to serious dude. I am simply posting on here for the first time and you are coming across as something of a bully boy reading other post s you seem to like attacking other members for what reason I wonder? are you the leader of the somerset clique by any chance? as a new member you have shocked me and I will not post anymore. but I will watch with interest this space enjoy the rest of the season ladies and gentleman ps forgot the rest of his signings they have all been quite forgettable really.

06 September, 2017 23:47
Grockle: I don't understand the reference to Colin Ingram in your list of successful Maynard overseas signings. It was Nosworthy who brought Ingram to the club, and it was Maynard who, as virtually his first act, told him he didn't fit in with his plans.

With Ingram now in demand all over the world, a mention of the name "Matthew Maynard" to anyone outside of Somerset CCC at the moment will be met first with a laugh, and then the question: "What - that bloke who sacked Colin Ingram?"

AGod (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 06:37
As per a cricinfo article earlier this year, a 3 year deal was on the table for CI to become a Kolpak here (agreed by DN) but it was vetoed by MM.

sfwithers (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 22:03
That doesn't look like the best decision ever, he says, head in hands. Our overseas players this year remind me of the legendary - ie, er, dreadful - Hugh Gore!

AGod (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 22:19
Well we only had two. Both were very effective when they played. Neither played anything like often enough.

Grockle (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 22:30
My bad Man with.... You are right. I had it in my head that he played the first of MM's and then was not used the next one (bad move by us). But you are right he did (or didn't actually) cross the two.

Not one of his successes true. Should have got him back - hard working player

(Sm72)

09 September, 2017 22:00
I believe that a lot of the frustrations some of us have felt with Maynard do in fact derive from that decision to release Ingram. That Ingram wasn't a cricketer who would figure in Maynard's plans was a matter of opinion, and Maynard was entitled to it; the problem was that the plan in question turned out to be bringing Allenby to the club.

Superficially it appeared that we were merely swapping Craig Meschede for Allenby, and though I was a fan of Meschede, I had to admit, even as Allenby's failures went on and on, that nobody would, overall, have expected Meschede to have performed much better. Certainly his form at Glamorgan turned out to be no more than workmanlike.

So why was I getting so annoyed at Allenby's ubiquitous presence in the team? Well, that was because, by chance, Glamorgan turned out to be Ingram's destination also. So, in effect, Maynard had swapped Colin Ingram and Craig Meschede for Jim Allenby. And whichever way you look at it, that was a terrible use of the transfer market. And it had the knock-on effect of two holes in the line-up having to be filled by one player, hence Allenby becoming undroppable.

Instead of being able to hide Allenby a bit, in the hope that he might find some consistency at this higher level, he was instead thrust into the role of the team's engine room, and he had to try and fulfil it game after game, whether he was up to it or not.

It didn't look good, and it didn't reflect well on Maynard either. But it was all down to Maynard, and the latter's determination to impose his plan on the club, even at the cost of discarding a tremendous resource which we already had already here.

AGod (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 22:51
He's made many mistakes and probably his gravest one preceded that - namely the release of Dave Houghton.

The guy that was signed instead of Ingram was, effectively, Tom Cooper. Allenby was coming, come hell or high water as he was Maynard's comfort blanket, IMO.

Whilst Cooper had a proven record in the top three Down Under, his game was unsuited to batting first drop in English conditions.

Maynard baulked at signing Ingram because 'he's not a top three batsman,' and instead we found somebody, in Cooper, who was really a number 5 in English conditions and then his fellow Aussie, JA, is really no better than a number 7 but was batting at 5. Both he and Cooper were batting two places too high. Maynard should have realised that going from batting at six in CC2 to batting at five in CC1 would be a huge ask.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 22:51 by AGod.

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 23:16
I have been a critic of Matthew Maynard in the past, and still am, but I do not feel that you can lay the blame of the club in letting Dave Houghton leave, solely at the door of Maynard.

When Dave Nosworthy left, there were those at the club who would have liked Dave Houghton to have stepped up to the role of D o C. He had a strong background, was well liked and respected by the players in his role as batting coach and would have I believe fitted in well as D o C. However, it was not to be and the club instead was swayed by Maynard.

After a while, Maynard said that he was a batting coach and could assume the mantle alongside that of D o C. This year Chris Rogers has had responsibility as a batting coach, and neither he nor Maynard have seen many benefits from their efforts.

The decision to let Dave Houghton go must have been a club decision, not simply down to Maynard. If the top brass listened to and believed that Maynard could do a better job as batting coach than Dave Houghton, then IMO subsequent events have proved them wrong and as a club we have to live with that decision.

Scrumper (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 23:55
Well said.

Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 01:24
Any chance of listing these many mistakes so I can catch up. Thsnks

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net