cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Re: So here's a bit of Clarity
AGod (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 08:36
I'm not sure what you mean with your question - you know full well that we have CR now, so I assume that's not what you mean.

So far as I'm aware there was no batting coach in DN's first season. Presumably he thought he did not need one - and at least he was less stubborn on this point than MM wa, changing his mind after one poor year of batting, rather than waiting it out for two full seasons a la MM.

I have no idea who the batting coach was, if any, under Brian Rose - can anyone else help?

But one thing we can say, of course, is that for several of Brian's seasons Mr Trescothick was peerless so if we didn't have one, maybe that helped us get by without. Per the other thread Marcus has been better, since 2007, in terms of run scoring by more than 20% than anybody else (and we all know that most of those runs came before DN or MM took over)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 08:37 by AGod.

AGod (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 08:41

AGod (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 08:41
Chunky - is Dave Houghton still in charge of batting at Middlesex?

Grockle (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 08:43
I've read very little criticism if Chris on here yet the batting has not exactly turned a corner. Why shouldn't I be referring to him? Is he Mr Teflon?

(Sm72)

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 08:55
Did not Peter Sanderson have the title of Batting Coach for several years, he quotes so in his CV.

Was given various roles during his prolonged time with the Club, now at Taunton School.

AGod (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 08:56
According to him, Matthew has him spend his time overwhelmingly with the second XI. You could say "Well he would say that, wouldn't he?" but, to be fair, I think he said this very early in the season. Chris said something about 'oh, first team players don't really need coaching,' or something like that earlier in the season.

So what happens to the first XI? Your guess is as good as mine.. does Matthew still deal with the first XI himself? Did Matthew never deal with the first XI, and instead spent the last two years coaching the second XI batsmen?

If the first XI batsmen have received next to no coaching since DH left, that might explain quite a lot.

But, whichever way you want to look at it:

a) It's Matthew's decision as to whether or not we have a batting coach.

b) It's Matthew's decision as to who we hire.

c) It's Matthew's decision as to how he directs that coach to work (viz time with firsts or seconds).

I note that, when DH was signed, DN said that DH would work across the entire club - clearly implying that he wouldn't be restricted just to the seconds which is what Rogers was saying about this season.

AGod (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 09:02
Whilst looking for the article with CR's comments, I instead found this, which I don't believe has been shared on here before. It might be interesting for anybody with any interest in coaching.. it's a piece written by Chris Rogers all about his approach to coaching...

[cricketmentoring.com]

AGod (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 09:06
[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

Here's the piece I was looking for. To be fair, CR doesn't say that he hasn't worked with the firsts, just that it's difficult to have that much impact on them.

However, as folks will see, the thrust of his first article is all about how even the best batsmen should be constantly seeking to make adjustments to improve so, if Chris has found that he hasn't been able to have so much impact on first-teamers, that may not be because he, himself, does not believe that changes are desirable .. perhaps we have batsmen like those in the sub-heading to Chris's own piece... ones that do not want to change..

AGod (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 09:19
Roger- yes, it seems that Peter was batting coach from 2008-2012 after which he became 'club analyst.'

[uk.linkedin.com]

I note that Mr Sanderson mentions lots of first-team players but I've no idea whether that's because he did loads of work with them, more so than the seconds, or simply because it looks good on his career history to namecheck them!

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 09:24
Sky Cricket have a 'coaching session' on the Saturday morning prior to the start of play in the Test match. Last Saturday the guest was Marcus. Too much to recall or go into here; the session covered how his batting developed and evolved over his career-particularly his international career. The bit on how he batted v spin particularly good.

He did say that he was still looking to learn and improve, and there were things he worked on with Matt Maynard last off season.

Also interesting that Nasser Hussain commented on how quickly and easily he picked up on tips and adapted whilst he was with England whilst others (Flintoff the named example) would take months of work for changes to become established.

I don't know if Sky has an iPlayer equivalent but worth watching

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 09:26
Jimmy Cook used to spend some early season time as a batting consultant during the Brian Rose years.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 09:45
Was Cook not also batting coach at Glamorgan during Matthew Maynard's last season there?

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:54
Quote:
AGod
or simply because it looks good on his career history to namecheck them!

I think you are correct...... long time Mates of Marcus, and Kerr also.

Grockle (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 11:40
Did David Houghton work primarily with the firsts then?

The certainty that Rogers did most of his work with the seconds has turned to he might have.

If our batting coach... Rogers assessment was there was little he could do with the firsts and so he was directed to work with the seconds.... MM has power over this. Why isn't Matt getting some credit for Eddy, Adam Hose, Tim, etc? Why aren't BOTH the DoC and his batting coach getting slated for not dealing with first team problems?

As always....something goes wrong DoC's fault.

Something works WITHIN the structure no credit to DoC. It happens despite him.

Criticise by all means but not EVERYTHING is wrong so not everything MM controls turns to.........

(Sm72)

Farmer White (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 11:42
Here is a bit of clarity:

[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

AGod (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 11:51
So it sounds to me as though the ECB very possibly objected to any plan to potentially bowl Jamie before the end of the season.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 15:03
I am sure we all wish LG and JO a thorough recovery between now and Christmas. It would be good if the ECB has some representative cricket in mind for them in the early months of next year.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Grockle (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 15:12
Beat me to it Farmer.

This is the clear stuff we'd like to have. We know it all but it is gleaned from this but and that bit rather than being a clear statement from the club. I was looking for the press release that clarified it but the website pretty much tells it as it is.

(Sm72)

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 16:52
I have never before heard of a club discussing a player's future with the ECB's medical team.

Jamie Overton is probably always going to be a player who is fit one minute and then off for half a season or more the next. He has not I’m afraid proved to be a sound investment in the six seasons since his debut, and before long the club is going to have to cut their losses and, sad as it may appear to some, say enough is enough.

When I saw him play at Taunton for the England Under 19 side some years ago, I was excited by the promise that he showed. Don’t think that Craig was on the scene then. Not quite sure what has happened since to Jamie, but his stats. in the CC are very mediocre and he has missed huge chunks of several seasons to boot.

Lewis Gregory’s condition is also a worry, not for the first time. To his great credit he has shown a willingness to play when obviously not fully fit, and I hope his surgery next week goes well.

Some Somerset pace bowlers who had to give up the game through injury were mentioned on here recently. The player who I feel was the biggest loss to the game in recent years was Matt Bulbeck. He was tipped by those in the know for International honours but similarly a back condition was the reason for him quitting the game at the age of 23.

At the time people were saying that his back problem was accentuated and worsened by the demands of the fitness work required of him. That may be right and it may be wrong or it may be partly right or wrong. But looking at the subsequent breakdown of our young fast bowlers, I wonder if anyone at the club has taken on board the possibility that it may be true.

The club always needs to be on the lookout for bowlers (in particular pace bowlers) because a couple of injuries or early retirements means our resources are very limited.

Good luck to them both, but I am not overly optimistic that they will be on the scene for many years to come.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 16:54
AGod- sorry for late reply to your question (I do get out sometimes!)-

Yes, Dave Houghton still Middlesex batting coach.

Prefers to be low profile. I don't think he's given an interview all season.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net