cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Re: So here's a bit of Clarity
Grockle (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 22:00
Has Jamie actually missed 'huge chunks' of 'several seasons'? I'm seriously asking anyone with the data.

Enjoyed watching Matt play in those days but I struggle to recall experts in the field at the time suggesting that his injury was 'accentuated and worsened' by the fitness regime he was under. I think Matt was playing in the time when regulations were in place to protect young bowlers and as the people dealing with Matt were professionals then he really ought to get the experts who said that to put it in writing so that he can sue the trainers for professional malpractice if that was the case.

Some bowling actions can take it and others can't. Caddy's could. Matt's couldn't. Paul Bird lost his shoulder. Dibble hardly made it off the table. A decade of bowling through injury and poor professional management nearly did for Johnno. The guys who seemingly did for Matt put Johnno back in an England shirt.

I'm also not sure how you marry your view of two bowlers together. In one paragraph you seem to be accusing professionals of aiding in the destruction of another professionals career while earlier on you congratulate Lewis for playing through injury - putting his own well being at risk.

Horses for courses I suppose. Maybe you should pop around to Daz Venness with Matt Bulbeck and suggest he destroyed Matt as a bowler. Or maybe ask Matt for his opinion. He is still about the place.

It's a delicate and dangerous business being a fast bowler but I don't think any of them get to Jamie's level nowadays without many discussions with medical professionals if they are being looked after properly.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2017 16:22 by Grockle.

AGod (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 22:48
I'm somewhat bemused that, as per Maynard's comments on the website we seem to have allowed LG to over-rule the surgeon.

There seems to be the suggestion that, even though he doesn't need an operation, Jamie cannot possibly bowl at the moment for fear of long-term consequences whereas, although LG definitely needed one, it was fine to let him elect to defer it.

I thought that LG had a stress fracture whereas Jamie's is supposed to have been that 'hot spot,' business which is a weakness with the potential to become a stress fracture, but not an actual fracture.

Either way, it's very worrying that both have had so many back issues.

Grockle (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 23:40
But wasn't it the case that whatever Lewis' injury was it wasn't doing any more damage but pain control was short term only. Not sure how those two marry together but there ya go

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 07:57
Well let's hope the surgery went well and that he will soon be well on the road to recovery.

He produced some yeoman efforts this season.

Grockle (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 10:10
We all hoped he'd be a bit òf both and it's turning out that way. At least if the back unfortunately does not hold up he is still a batsman who can help us in the future. Hope it all goes well.

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 16:36
Email from the club.

Johann Myburgh has become the latest Somerset player to put pen to paper on a new deal.

The 36 year old has signed a contract which will keep him at the Cooper Associates County Ground for all white-ball cricket next season. This means that he will be available for both the NatWest T20 Blast and the Royal London One-Day Cup competitions in 2018.

Some of our feelings on Johann were correct, I am happy with that news.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2017 16:56 by Mike TA1.

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 16:56
As per rumour last week, just news awaited on Josh Davey.

AGod (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 17:00
Well good news on Mybs but still have no idea viz the apparent refusal to even consider the man for red-ball cricket. If he were too injured to even be considered for red ball cricket next season, then it seems unlikely that we'd be giving him a new contract for white ball stuff. He definitely wanted to play red ball this season as he said as much on the radio. Perhaps that's no longer the case so far as next season is concerned but the club announcement being worded in this way seems to make it clear that he won't be seen in red ball.

mikeindex (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 17:03
Remarkable - I doubt I would have signed a new contract in JM's place.

Perhaps he sees his livelihood as lying mainly in sports tuition in the near-to-medium future and, sensibly enough, is happy to gain extra income from a contract which will see him employed, if at all, mainly in the school holidays.

Will this mean that, being on Somerset's books, he is eligible to play in the Championship too (academic commitments permitting)? Just in case of injuries/international calls impacting on our top order?

wsm fan (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 17:27
Davey is already under contract for next season.
So i believe that is everyone known now.

The reading between the lines suggests Myby has not played red ball this season as he is now white ball only. Whether it wholly our choice or his i for one dont know.

Obviously the best assumption on here is to batter Maynard for not picking him this season but maybe Myby had no desire or contract to do so?

Anyway we now know how we lie moving forwards. All eyes on the upcoming 100% bore draw at the Oval.....

18 September, 2017 17:32
Who said the club refused him a red ball contract AGod, your inside knowledge is remarkable,
more like your assumption. But certainly not what I was given to understand.

I think you will find his availability is down to his position at his college.

wsm fan (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 17:48
Roger. Facts & balance are not welcome on here.
Speculation & agendas against certain people far more the way to go.....

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 17:50
Are you sure, WSM?

Josh signed a 2 year deal in September 2015- which takes him up to now.

Don't recall any announcement of him signing a one year extension at any stage.

[www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk]

18 September, 2017 18:25
That was my understanding also Chunky.

wsm fan (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 18:33
That is my understanding yes.
All players are now either released or under contract into next season

Grockle (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 20:38
Johann could not have accepted a CC contract as he has accepted a full time employment contract with his other employer. So the 'rejection' of a red ball contract was never really an option. Allowing leave to cover the white ball bits is one thing but leave for the rest means part time status for JM's main future job.

(Sm72)

Grockle (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 22:36
Press Release related to Johann Myburgh

"Johann Myburgh has become the latest Somerset player to put pen to paper on a new deal.

The 36 year old has signed a contract which will keep him at the Cooper Associates County Ground for all white-ball cricket next season. This means that he will be available for both the NatWest T20 Blast and the Royal London One-Day Cup competitions in 2018.

Johann once again impressed in limited overs cricket in 2017 scoring 290 runs at an average of 36.25 with a strike rate of 171.60 in the NatWest T20 Blast. His Royal London One-Day Cup statistics are equally impressive and his three appearances in the competition this year saw him amass 120 runs at an average of 40 with a strike rate of 193.55.

After signing his new deal Johann said: “I’m very pleased and I feel blessed that I’m going to play for Somerset for another year. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time here so far and I’ve had great support from the fans.

“I’m keen to contribute to the team again and I’m desperate to win a trophy. I think we’re good enough to do that because we have a really talented group of players in the dressing room.”

Somerset CEO Lee Cooper said: “We are delighted to have retained Johann’s services for another year. He is an exceptional player, as demonstrated during this season, and we’re extremely pleased that he will be representing us again in white ball cricket in 2018."

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2017 22:40 by Grockle.

AGod (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 23:23
Sorry, WSM, but so far as this season was concerned there's zero reason to believe that Mybs didn't want to be picked for red ball, given that he said on Beeb radio commentary of Surrey at home that 'I'm very much hoping to force my way into the red ball side for the rest of the season.'

He would have to be rather machiavellian to have told MM he didn't want to play red ball this season and then to have gone on the radio and said the opposite, would he not?

wsm fan (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 23:43
You stick to your theory thats fine.
His other job has been mentioned several times &his lack of red ball second team games dont tally with wanting or being able to play red ball too.
Anyway its rather irrelevant now.
We are crystal clear for 2018 he has a white ball only contract.
My only interest for the next 10 days is the 2 elevens we feild at Oval & HQ......

Grockle (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 00:18
Whatever or whoever has or has not been 'Machiavellian' is pretty irrelevant.

However badly behaved you believe MM has been to poor old Johann and whether your little insights into areas of their personalities you can have no knowledge of are close to what happened or not are also irrelevant.

The situation is as WSM and the press release outlines it. Johann seems happy with the prospect and most of us are happy with it as well.

I'd suggest you leave it but you won't, so.... enjoy your irrelevant musings on a situation you can never know the real truth of while the rest of us look at the important bits of the end of this year in the hope it will provide opportunities for players staying to do better next season.

(Sm72)

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net