cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 12
Somerset v Lancs Part Deux
Grockles.com (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:28
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2017 11:51 by Grockle.

Somerset v Lancs Part Deux
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 05:42
Sorry Grockle for starting a new thread but haven't been able to view the main one since yesterday morning as too big (usually a sign of a poor Somerset performance so who knows what banter has filled the pages this time)

I expect lots of pro-follow-on comments. To be honest the decision makes me nervous; Somerset batting and fourth innings have not been happy bedfellows this season, not least against our current opponents. But with only 9 scheduled overs (12 squeezed in) before the close of play and on-off weather likely first thing tomorrow not likely to overcook the bowlers (with no Jove or Lewis we need to be very careful with Craig and Tim for the next fortnight. No football warm-ups please!). And if it comes to a fourth innings chase, at least this time no Jimmy Anderson.

Re: Somerset v Lancs Part Deux
AGod (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 06:19
See Jack's comments re: track - they think it may do an Essex.

If only our track would predictably either improve or deteriorate with time, life would be so much easier for our Captain.

I still think Lancs may have inserted us because they may have decided track would get better rather than worse.

AGod (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 06:24
Geordie M - why, on the deity's green earth, were you watching Warks vs Essex rather than Somerset vs Lancs?

You know our game is also live on our website - just go to match centre on the website and you'll find a link to the Youtube feed..

Rod1883 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 08:22
Well, this is the day that could go along way to keep us up.
The weather forecast for tomorrow is very poor so we have to get them all out today for an innings win, or a very small run chase late on.
Come on Somerset, we can do it

AGod (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 08:48
Yep need to finish it today.

Forecast for Uxbridge has improved, sadly.

I suspect that even a total of 200 may be enough for Middx to win by an innings vs Hants as Hants seem to have picked only four guys that can bat, two of whom are primarily bowlers (Berg and Abbott).

Realistically we'll need at least one very long stand from Jimmy Adams and Sean Ervine to hold Middx up.

I'd question whether Hants should be penalised for having Carberry out on loan with a bunch of novices in the team - isn't there something in the competition rules about having to pick your strongest team?

hantssabre (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 09:00
Carberry is yet to reach double figures for Leicestershire unfortunately and Bailey is out with the World XI in Pakistan. Vince pulled a hamstring in warm ups so not a lot else left other than Will Smith but as he hasn't seen any first team action at all this season then one must assume he's on his way out.

Not really sure why Carberry was allowed out on loan in the first place and why they let Bailey pick up a large sum to sit out the first two matches in Pakistan but I guess Rod doesn't care too much about the CC!

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 09:22
Baggy's problem may be to do with making threads 'sticky'. On an iPad, that means they open as one long page, not split into 20-post pages. This can be a nightmare.

I would suggest that current-game threads aren't made sticky as they will stay near the top of the message list anyway...?

On the important business of the day: a good one for Jack to prove me wrong about him not taking a hatful of wickets in the second innings when we expect it to turn - tho tbh I don't care who takes the wickets as long as we win! Can be Tres and Davies for all I care.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 09:27
That's exactly the problem SP. Especially stickies with an article at the top of them. Hence starting a new thread I suspect I'm not the only one with this problem.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 09:32
No play before lunch at Uxbridge.

AGod (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 09:55
SP - good idea about the match thread.

You're wrong about Leachy, though, he's had plenty of final innings success - including various home games last season, Yorks away last year etc.

I don't believe, for one moment, that Jack will let us down but I do suspect that Lancs have enough batsmen that can play that the law of averages will mitigate disposing of them so cheaply for a second time... if the track gets slower that may also mitigate against it.

cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 10:21
Surprised you say that Rod Bransgrove doesn`t care about the county championship, hantssabre, when he shamelessly and obnoxiously slagged off Durham left, right and centre last year to make sure they were relegated despite finishing fourth - and that Hampshire, who won only twice all season, were reprieved.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2017 10:29 by cricketjerry-mouse.

AGod (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 10:33
Bransgrove is a disgrace to cricket.

It looks like we are delayed by half an hour - very annoying.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 10:40
11am start, lunch at 1, tea at 3.40, 96 overs in the day.
Prefer to wait for the outfield to dry a bit; a wet ball won't help the bowlers.

AGod (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 10:43
SP - you'll be delighted to hear that this delay has given me the chance to get the Wisdens out... let's look at Leachy's final innings (of match) bowling efforts in recent times: Here are his final innings of match figures from last season:

Yorks home :21-8-33-1 (match drawn)

Middx home: 5-0-36-2 (!!) - lost the declaration game on total flat track.

Durham home: 17-3-46-4 - won

Warks home: 25-9-42-6 - won

Notts home: 21.2-5-69-4 - won

Strike out the Middx outlier and nothing to scare any horses there, I would say.

Yorks away: 24.3-4-64-6 - won

Middx away: 30-8-77-5 - match drawn

Lancs away: 40-11-105-2 - match drawn

183-48-472-30

Average: 15.73

E/R: 2.57

Strike rate: 36.6

So, SP, I think you can probably agree with me that we can put that notion to bed?

I think every other spinner in England would KILL for that strike-rate!!

But, of course, utter thick-head ECB apparatchik morons prefer Batty and Dawson.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2017 10:49 by AGod.

AGod (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 10:57
It's 10:57 and I see neither covers nor umpires yet we are meant to be making an 11am start - what gives?

mikeindex (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:03
Quote:
AGod
I suspect that even a total of 200 may be enough for Middx to win by an innings vs Hants as Hants seem to have picked only four guys that can bat, two of whom are primarily bowlers (Berg and Abbott).

Isn't it a bit premature to dismiss someone picked as a batsman by a first-class county as "unable to bat" simply because they are inexperienced and unsuccessful to date at the top level?

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:07
I don't think making a thread 'sticky' causes the problem. It is presenting it as if it is an 'article' which people are then invited to contribute to.

Don't sportsnetwork rules require an article once a fortnight, or site closes? That's why Kev on MTWD always encourages someone to do a separate 'match report' Quite often they only attract one or two comments, but it solves the need to write an article, and you don't end up with one mega long page for the game as a whole.

AGod (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:07
Some pleasing shape in terms of coming back into the batsman from TG in that opening over.

Mikeindex - they have no proven ability to bat and, if they could ever get on the park, the MIddx attack must be licking their lips!

AGod (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:20
Really enjoying Tim's work so far this morning - very good.

Current Page: 1 of 12

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net