cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 10 of 12

Re: Somerset v Lancs Part 3
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 14:43
Just so long as he was there in his capacity as a selector, and not window shopping for Notts 😲

Old Boy! (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 15:07
I must admit that I thought we were doomed before this last series of matches. As long as
we survive now, it was obviously fiendishly clever of MM and co to make sure that Jack and Dominic did not do too much in the first half of the season, because if they had performed like they have in August and September we might have lost one or both to that dodgy England set-up. I'm still dreaming that Jos might return as purely a top four batter. Perhaps he could be offered the captaincy!

Old Boy!

Ronniesabre (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 15:23
When he would hardly be available ? Surely you want your captain to be around the place not in India and then on the ODI circuit

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 15:23
The latest bowling stats.

Both Craig & Jack on 42 wickets looks like 50 each within reach before the end of the season and then we have Dom on 32 wickets playing less matches, he could have been up there with them with the same number of matches. [stats.espncricinfo.com]

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 15:26
Terrific result to wake up to.

Well done SCCC on a hugey impressive & professional performance.

Let's keep the momentum going into next week & then likely the biggest game for quite a few seasons the week after.

Grizzzly

Somerset v Lancs Part 3
Following on (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 15:28
Fantastic result!
There is much talk in professional sport of momentum, if there is such a thing we must have bucket loads after the last two games.

Rod1883 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 15:56
I see that Hampshire didn't do us any favours by capitulating miserably in their first innings!

AGod (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 15:58
They got more than I thought they would, given the line-up that they picked. If they have to pick the same line-up for the final two matches, and don't get saved by rain-ruined draws, then it may well be them, rather than us, Middx or Yorks, that join Warks for some exciting Div 2 cricket.

Rod1883 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 16:14
Quote:
AGod
They got more than I thought they would, given the line-up that they picked. If they have to pick the same line-up for the final two matches, and don't get saved by rain-ruined draws, then it may well be them, rather than us, Middx or Yorks, that join Warks for some exciting Div 2 cricket.

Interesting - I hadn't considered they might still get sucked in.
Their next game is at home v Essex, so as long as Essex aren't already on holiday, Hampshire could easily lose that one.
Their last game is at Edgbaston, so that hinges on what sort of mood Warks are in, if players are up for it/playing for contracts etc.
Of course the weather this late in September could have a huge bearing - ridiculous scheduling really.

AGod (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 16:17
If they have to pick that line-up for the final two games, and the rain doesn't save them, then they could easily tally only six points from their final two games...

mikeindex (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 16:35
Curiously, though, it was the established batsmen (Adams, Alsop and Ervine) who failed badly, while the new names performed without great distinction but rather more respectably.
Middx' rate of progress in the second innings suggests they are not preparing to set a cheeky target.

15 September, 2017 16:47
Hants will have George Bailey back from Pakistan for their last two. Will make their XI suddenly look a lot deeper.

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 17:02
Is anyone prepared to stick their neck out and say the Surrey game will not end in a draw?

As positive as I can be today, there doesn't seem to be any other outcome whether we bat first or not. In fact we may as well play a Bonus Points XI with some from the seconds and rest a few players for the cider decider

Rod1883 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 17:07
Quote:
Somerset LaLaLa
Is anyone prepared to stick their neck out and say the Surrey game will not end in a draw?
As positive as I can be today, there doesn't seem to be any other outcome whether we bat first or not. In fact we may as well play a Bonus Points XI with some from the seconds and rest a few players for the cider decider

If it's possible to pick a side to achieve a high/max scoring draw at Surrey, and even if that's all we get v Middx as well, then that could be enough if Hampshire are as poor again (twice) as they were today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2017 17:19 by Rod1883.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 17:27
If we were to select a bonus points XI, and Hampshire ended the season 7th in the table, I wouldn't put it past Bransgrove to convince the ECB we had put the game into disrepute and we should be automatically relegated, thus reprieving Hants.

What is a bonus points XI anyway? One whose batting is good enough to reach 400 runs inside 110 overs, whilst still having a bowling attack fiendish enough to get 9 wickets in 110 overs. All in the first innings, whoever wins the toss. Sounds like we should've been playing this "bonus point XI" all season to me!

Angell Face (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 17:49
Thoroughly professional performance with the ball yesterday when Lancashire were clearly just intent on occupying the crease. Craig's 2 wickets this morning were no more than he deserved having bowled with great accuracy throughout the match. And when we batted again it seemed clear to those of us at the ground that they were going to get the runs as quickly as possible to avoid any chance of rain spoiling the party, so no one should be too fussed about us losing 3 wickets.

Streeter (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 18:19
Just as a little side feed into the (no doubt) rising speculations, it appears to me ( please correct me if I'm wrong ) only Essex are safe from possible relegation . Any fears of Lancs not being motivated against Middlesex next week should be unfounded.Pesonally I wouldn't be surprised if Warks turned up against Yorks as relaxed newly relegated football teams sometimes do. Meanwhile ,back in the realer world , how delightful that the co-conspirators from last seasons distasteful denouement should be in danger of suffering the drop. (No resentment there !)

wsm fan (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 18:37
Fan blooming tastic!
No better way to start the weekend than with a 4 day win!
Proper team performance.
Craig has really stepped up in the absence of Jamie & Lewis, true leader of our attack now.
Jack and Dom quite superb, perfectly complement each other.
Im biased unashamedly, but if we assume 5 seamers in ashes squad will be jimmy broad woakes TRJ then Craig really needs discussing alongside Wood Ball Finn as number 5. Lions guaranteed so will be on call in Oz anyway.....
Moeen a certainty & most likely Crane or Adil go as reserve but neither fit to even tie Jacks shoelaces!
What the chances Craig Jack Dom get a call up to ODI squad by next weekend to keep them out of the Middlesex match!? Strauss & Gus planning the press release as i type.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2017 20:48 by wsm fan.

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 18:51
Steve Davies in with a shout as reserve keeper? Sorry, I'm getting carried away now...

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 20:40
I always love your enthusiasm, wsm fan, and identify with it wholeheartedly.

I've heard both Leach and Bess speak and they certainly DO compliment each other. They also complement each other when bowling in tandem.

Incidentally, I also heard van Meekeren speak on the radio yesterday and he sounded a really decent man fully committed to Somerset. I would be happy to see him included in the next two matches.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Current Page: 10 of 12

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net