cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 18
Sorry Surrey
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 17:56
Time for a dedicated thread.

I am assuming that by 15.00 on Tuesday Surrey will be 123 all out (Sangakkara 101*). And I intend to be there to see it.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2017 05:38 by Grockle.

Re: Sorry Surrey
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 18:35
Then please don't drive a vehicle there because I am not sure that you would pass a breathalyzer test.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 20:29
It's at Yeoval isn't it, so could take a short train ride? Look out for a dry, flat pitch with an even covering of brown grass. If there are any slip fielders after 90 minutes you've gone to the wrong place. Don't trust anyone who says there should be "good carry".

17 September, 2017 20:42
Is that Yeoval without the slope?

LoL

Scrumper (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 23:26
Ladbrokes odds of a bunsen being prepared have increased to 1000-1.

AGod (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 10:05
Decent forecast for tomorrow so we can be fairly sure that there will be a toss with each side very keen to avoid a long day in the dirt.

Should the forecast be wrong and the day dawn heavily overcast, then I should like to see us "invite," our hosts to bat as help from overhead will be paramount if, as expected, the pitch gives nothing to bowlers.

18 September, 2017 12:31
The side winning the toss batted first in all 4 games that were draws at the Oval. Warks and Essex (at Guildford) elected to bowl. I'd give it 50/50 that we bat first.

However, swing could be a fairly decisive factor especially after the initial new ball period when bowling at the wicket becomes more important than catches behind it. How do you rate Somerset's current state of swing bowling? This is a fairly open ended question.

Rod1883 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 20:54
The forecast for tomorrow is pretty good, with a sunny start, then sunny spells until after tea.
Late Tuesday and Wednesday show more cloud cover.
I would hope for a won toss and then for us to bat.
If we can get somewhere near 300 by the end of the day, take it onto 350 plus before they bat under cloud, then you never know.
If it can be believed, then Thursday brightens up again, and Friday is sunny.

18 September, 2017 22:10
I thought it was supposed to be dry today - and I have got soaked three times. So I'm not sure I can trust the forecast, though I am still expecting to turn up for a 10.30 start.

LoL

AGod (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 06:15
Well, Matthew has made it very clear that we will bat first if we can, so let's hope that the forecast nice day materialises and that we win the toss.

DeanSwift (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 08:02
Quote:
AGod
Well, Matthew has made it very clear that we will bat first if we can, so let's hope that the forecast nice day materialises and that we win the toss.

Looks like no rain over the four days (Oval and Lords).

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 08:24
Team with most batting points (and second-worst bowling points) v team with most bowling points (and second-worst batting points).

Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 08:27
I predict the weather will be whatever the weather will be, come rain or shine.

AGod (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 08:29
Murky in South London this morning. If it does not lift then I'd bowl in the expectation that pitch likely to be unhelpful throughout but atmospheric conditions *might* provide some assistance.

As I type the sun has just started to shine, albeit through a resolutely grey sky.

19 September, 2017 08:34
"When you win the toss – bat. If you are in doubt, think about it, then bat. If you have very big doubts, consult a colleague – then bat." WG Grace

AGod (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 09:33
That dictum has been attributed to various but I believe that the correct attribution is to Colin Cowdrey.

However, like most generalisations, it is utter nonsense. I remember that, a few years ago, somebody looked at the results of all CC games over 5 years, nearly 60 percent of which had been won by the side batting second. I mean that of the games where either side won, nearly 60 % of the wins were by the side batting second.

nelliec (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:08
Won the toss and bat.Same team as last week

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/09/2017 10:13 by nelliec.

Rod1883 (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:20
Quote:
nelliec
Won the toss and bat.Same team as last week

That's good - should get the best of the conditions for batting and bowling over the first couple of days.

Need a good solid start as this game is unlikely to lose any time due to weather.

AGod (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:25
I wouldn't put too much money on the weather. It's been wet in recent days and it really doesn't look particularly settled, whatever the forecast might suggest.

doc h (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:55
Live feed from surrey CCC website, with commentary.

[www.kiaoval.com]

Current Page: 1 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net