cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 16 of 18

Re: Sorry Surrey
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 08:32
Can we get behind the clouds next week?

Grockle (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 08:43
Can we at least in all our assessments of the Surrey game give some credit to Clarke while conplaining about how @#$%& we are?

Occasionally one player has the day he is paid for and puts his side in the position of winning a game.

We RARELY give players in other teams the credit of being able to play the game in our almost ─Ćesperate rush to find fault in every aspect of our own side's ability at it.

The commentary I heard during that spell did not talk about us throwing our wickets away to the mediocre Surrey bowling, rather it was about Clarke bowling out of his skin.

Blame us for the rest of the game by all means but give credit where it is due to people on the other side.

The opposition do not just turn up and only win because we constantly give it away. Sometimes they play the game better than us despite our best efforts and it isn't our deficiencies that mean we don't get the points. It's their superior skills with bat and ball.

We aren't@#$%&all the time and neither are the sides we play.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2017 08:45 by Grockle.

Sloop John B (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 09:12
'Once more unto the breech dear friends Once more'. Summon up the blood and stiffen the windows.
...and that's just for us supporters. Be part of a present and powerful twelfth man!!!

AGod (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 09:24
WSM - thank you for the info re: Rayner - a significant morale boost this morning.

AGod (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 09:30
It's not a matter of 'throwing it away,' Grockle - it's a matter of just because an oppo bowler really put his back into it, we shouldn't throw our hands up and say 'well of course we should expect to lose five batsmen for 26 runs.' Just as the opposition are allowed to bowl well, we are allowed to display both skill and resolve in defiance of said good bowling.

There are limits - if world-class bowlers are bowling at *their* best it would be both unfair and unrealistic to expect county level players to resist for long. Pethaps it would have been unfair to expect our lower-order players to have resisted this spell from Clarke. But somebody from amongst the batsmen really should have been able to see him off - it was hardly one of those situations where there was great bowling from everyone so there was no respite from either end.

wsm fan (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 09:31
Only quoting Voges but he seemed certain, said he was struggling to even breath in field due to his injury.

Agree its absolutely HUGE boost.

We know it will be a turning result pitch, it has to be.
So having Jack & Dom v Sowter Patel Malan combo is not a fair match up.

Toss is huge but either way we can still do it. Batting 1st would be a massive help though.....

AGod (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 09:32
Quote:
Mike TA1
Regarding the pitch for Monday.
It is in the same area as the last match is all I can say, it didn't help yesterday that there were no covers on the pitch to indicate which pitch it will be.

I don't envy the groundsmen in these circumstances, if all goes well they will get praised if it doesn't go well there will be moans from some for not choosing the correct pitch.

Let me say this now: If we go down the blame properly resides with both the season as a whole, not just this one game and with players (not bowlers) and management - certainly not with Simon Lee and team.

23 September, 2017 10:16
It's the business of matching Middlesex's bonus points which concerns me, not the actual winning of the match. I'm confident we can do that.

But I can easily foresee us being bowled out for 249 on a day-one or day-two pitch, while Middx reach 250. From that position, with our spinners, I'd expect us to go on to a comfortable victory on a day-three or day-four pitch. But we'd also be relegated.

Of course, if the wicket took turn from ball 1, then things would be different. But we'd be dicing with danger re ECB points deductions in that scenario.

Mind you, all my confidence about us winning the game might be misplaced, if the pitch is like it was last time against Lancs. That just got harder and harder to play cricket on. It really was a fantastic display of hard work, skill and more hard work for the boys to get a result out of that one. You really had to be there to appreciate the monumental effort it took to grind down the opposition for four days on that slow pitch, in the miserable, cold wind.

Grockle (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 10:35
So batsmen AND bowlers have to turn up.

Well if the top 5/6 don't that is the reason we are here and maybe that means we deserve to go down. If they do and we stay up then that has to be seen as progress and we need to make it a consistent factor of our four day game.

One thing that would be a shame is if the bowlers did not turn up. That's because we are only NOT down already is due to the boys at the back end who have pulled us back into games all season when our willow men have been absent at the crease.

Have to hope we get 11 men on the field with spines, guts desire and the skill they were gifted with.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2017 12:21 by Grockle.

23 September, 2017 10:36
Well Clarke found us out with an older ball on an ordinary but 2 paced pitch. According to some reports there was cloud cover, I am not sure there was any great swing.

Clearly he had his moment that the career best figures show. Well done Rikki Clarke. So did Neil Mallender at Headingley for England and he was only selected once again.

I always thought Clarke was a bit of a journeyman and the Surrey fans didn't seem exactly enamoured on his return this year.

The commentary bigged up his performance as this was an unexpected thrill in Oval CC cricket. Foakes being put forward for the Ashes was another media gem.

All we needed to do in the 1st innings was bat for a little longer with a view to drawing the game. Sangakara may be the best in the world but we didn't need a player at that level playing for us, as the task during the strom was to block the good ball. Poor batting technique and in a few cases judgement were just exposed.

Credit is due to Clarke for his breathtaking spell. And to the excellent Steven Davies for showing the antedote.

Games are often decided in sessions. In the history of things we mustn't deflect in maroon coloured spectacles from our less than resilient performance then.

[www.espncricinfo.com]
[www.espncricinfo.com]

Grockle (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 10:49
Doesn't mean we can't give him credit for it.

No credit because he's usually rubbish is a little on the mean side and we've had our journeymen in the past.

(Sm72)

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 11:13
I'd like to mention how very sorry I feel for TRJ about his injury; he had done everything he could to guarantee himself a seat on the flight to Brisbane - demonstrating that there are some seriously good cricketers among those who ply their trade predominantly at CC level - and he fully deserved the privilege of being part of an Ashes series.

AGod: I stick by my statement about the length of nights. The winter solstice when nights are at their longest is three months from now. Thereafter they get shorter (and days get longer)

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

23 September, 2017 11:18
Clarke bowled well during that spell making life difficult, let's not take anything away from him.

However, we have needed to be better than that for this month. There is still indiscipline in our top order

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 11:25
LoL is correct - in 3 months time the nights will be getting shorter. It is the days which will be longer.

23 September, 2017 11:34
Perhaps I am wrong after all. I had forgotten that AGod has been selected for The Ashes tour and for him our winter solstice will be a summer one.

LoL

23 September, 2017 11:42
Unless you've been selected to go to Australia where the nights will be getting longer and the days seeming longer - Jack first choice. With Dom Bess, the Edmonds and Emburey of aghhhh them again. Stay fit next week Craig you'll see the Southern Cross soon

23 September, 2017 11:50
On a lighter note, I make it AGod has posted over 100 times on the thread with a few quick singles this morning...

Angell Face (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 11:56
And what was interesting about the Surrey match was that the Somerset bowler who most resembles Clarke took 5 wickets in Surrey's 1st innings - well, I found it interesting!!!

23 September, 2017 12:08
I find that fact interesting too, Angell Face. And it's probably not what most people expected.

I was very impressed by the reaction of our team to Sangakkara's dismissal, marking the end if his last innings at The Oval. I gather Trescothick was the first to shake his hand and then the whole team rushed in to do the same before seeing him off with a guard of honour. What a splendid example of the spirit of cricket in action.

LoL

AGod (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 12:10
Well he must be about 7 or so inches shorter. I'm not sure they are usually similar. However, it was noticeable that Rikki Clarke elected to bowl a very full length - far fuller than he usually bowls - in this match. Peter, due to lack of height and pace, generally has no alternative other than to bowl said full length.

It was notable how ineffective both Curran and Dernbach looked - Cove and TG were both light years better than them, albeit without much reward.

A cruel blow for Peter that he had his first strong red ball match of the season, but failed to emerge unscathed from it.

Current Page: 16 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net