cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 36 of 38

Re: Rooting for you to beat Middx and stay up next week
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 16:02
Compdog is the name used by Nick Compton himself on Twitter

Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 17:08
All the same, I've always thought it a bit odd to use a nickname of someone unless you're part of the team or trying to get down with the kids.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 17:18
I could not agree more. It is presumptuous to think we are entitled to use such names for people we do not know. I am not saying I never do so and I recognise the convenience of referring to Cove and Jove, but as far as I am concerned Hildreth is never Hilda, even if out of respect I may call him The Emperor.

AGod (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 18:10
Taking such things far too seriously I think, guys...

Anyway, I think if you look again at Somerset La La La's post, you will see that he was clearly joking.. hence the use of the words 'disgrace,' and 'intent.'

If you cast your minds back all of.... oh.... about four days these words were recently used about our club by the man who has, temporarily, succeeded Gareth Batty as the bete noir of this parish.

Step forward... Angus Robert Charles Fraser (at whose expense Somerset La La La's original post was very clearly written)

Sorry if that spoils the fun of some good indignation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2017 18:17 by AGod.

Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 19:10
Condescending posts aren't my cup of tea eirher

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 19:12
Putting a bit of humour back into the thread. Anyway ADog you'll be ok providing you haven't name called in the last 12 months

sfwithers (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 20:50
Any news on when/if the ECB are going to make a decision on Arrowgate? Not that I'm tense, of course...

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 21:03

AGod (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 21:30
For anyone that didn't want to wade through that page... of interest to all will be the fact that Middx have been told that there will be much CC cricket over the weekend next year, with games being played Friday to Monday.

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 22:14
'The Kings of Summer' by Duncan Hamilton shows clearly how the county championship matters so much. He fears of the damage by those that make the schedule and that in the future there will not be a proper championship

Grockle (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 07:58
It isn't now for CC2.

The impression talking to our own officials who seem to be if the opinion that the ECB is 'committed' to the Championship is that there will be changes in the early 2020's but not quick enough for some of the counties who are not at the UberT20 trough in 2020.

Talking generally about this with Andy Nash during the Women's WC there was discussion of 'the twelve'. The 8 urban 'counties' plus the others who might survive the loss of T20 revenue and the lack of central support for 50 over cricket but who have strong enough 4 day squads. You can probably work out who those might be. Nashy expected us to be one.

I'm not so confident that the next stage won't just be a move to a franchise based 8 county 'top' division but as soneine has suggested, we seem to have a 'victim mentality' in the South West. What is that saying?

"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you."

The idea of Somerset surviving in the brave new urban cricket world is something but at the expense if 6 counties? Not so sure it would be worth it for a NATIONAL game.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 12:13 by Grockle.

AGod (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 11:49
Of course the ECB would rather have just the Test match counties (and perhaps only the biggest of those) in one superdivision and tô hell with everyone else.

Traditionally, after each Ashes thrashing we are told that we 'must model our first-class game on theirs.'

So, after this winter's 5-0/4-0/4-1/3-1 defeat (delete as appropriate) that old chestnut will be raised again. We will be informed that they won the Ashes not because they had home advantage or better luck with injuries or because cricket is cyclical and they happened to have slightly better players at the time but that it MUST be because they only have NSW, SA, WA, Vic, Tas and QLD... why, all we have to do is to only have six sides ourselves - and why not have two teams in London and four others representing our other biggest cities?

Atherton, Willis and the rest of those who LOATHE the system that made them will relentlessly hammer this point 'how can we possibly hope to compete when there are 18 x 22 ish professional cricketers in this country,' they will cry 'too many mediocre players.' 'Too many disgraceful pitches at provincial counties,' yadda, yadda, ad nauseum.

Look for Atherton and Willis to bring out a report in April that says exactly the above (the report being an inquest into the winter just gone).

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 12:18
Well, one of your predictions that I do agree with, AG...tho my hope is that we win the Ashes, in which case I'm still in no doubt that this will be twisted into the argument you raise above.

AGod (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 12:38
I don't see how they could twist it - so I fervently hope that we win, too, so that they cannot advance their agenda with renewed zeal.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 15:54
Some very interesting comments here, within the Middlesex post season forum (including AF echoing MM's philosophy about when to drop an out of form player):

[www.cricketnetwork.co.uk]

Of particular note:

"Speaking of arrowgate, Richard said that we were still talking to the ECB; he had had a phone conversation with them just before the meeting. They are not being unsympathetic he said and discussions are still going on. A comment from a member that we should go to judicial review did not have any support".

Sounds like the arrow issue has not yet run it's course.

Grizzzly

Grockle (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 16:10
The longet they leave it the more will hit the fan if the ECB reverse. As i pointed out yesterday I think, Northants will be looking on with interest.

(Sm72)

stevecav (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 16:31
I read the Middlesex thread on 'arrowgate' and it was interesting that the majority by far seemed to be against pursuing the matter even with ECB let let alone in the courts. Pretty sensible views that 'it's too late now'.

And anyway, 'not unsympathetic' is very far from any suggestion of allowing an appeal to succeed.

AGod (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 18:16
To be honest I think that a lot of Middx fans think that they shouldn't pursue Arrowgate because 'We were poor and deserved to go down.'

I think they are being a little harsh on their team.

Reality is Essex were very good and Warks very bad.

Lancs, I suppose were reasonable.

Everybody else?

Not very good/mediocre really - all much of a muchness. In terms of the way they played can anyone really say that there was more than a cigarette paper - by the end - between Surrey, Hants, Middx, Yorks and ourselves?

Don't get me wrong, we were dreadful, really, in the first half of the season but we did buck our ideas up latterly whereas the likes of Middx and Yorks were a kind of mirror-image of our season but we still all ended up in the same place...

warehamcricket (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 11:22
And ultimately AGod that last point could be described as the nub of this whole relegation argument. When we had 8 teams in his top division with 2 to go down, 25%, a “big” team was almost certain to go down. The ECB might have been on their knees praying for Essex and us to have stinkers and go down and allow them their promised land of a division of test playing counties but it hasn’t happened. Essex have almost walked without problem to the Championship in a well deserved manner that counters no argument. Warwickshire were the poorest from the beginning and almost seemed to accept their relegation what with Ashley Giles saying they were likely to go down because they were so poor.The rest even including runners-up Lancs were much of a muchness.

The point from this is that the relegation spaces in such a compact division were always going to be very, very close and conceivably come down to teams regretting any points deductions. Once these deductions were made, in Middlesex’ case, any appeal should have been immediate, not several weeks later. It was always going to be close, and failure to acknowledge this potential game-breaker was perhaps foolish and makes any appeal seem opportunistic. Not that that will stop them! Relegation was always going to be tight and I bet the officials at Hampshire would have had their lawyers on speed dial during that last afternoon against Warwickshire just in case events went against them. With 25% of the teams getting relegated and the Durham/ Hampshire situation last year creating a precedent, teams who go down by their table position, will always now, be looking very closely at what is happening elsewhere throughout the season to see if there are grounds in the future to “contest” the final table.

This is a poor position for cricket to find themselves in and the ECB have become unreliable, untrustworthy and lacking in integrity and judgement when it comes to being seen to act even handedly. A split of 8 and 10 was always going to throw up these problems. Someone, somewhere should have had the judgement to recognise the folly of a situation where 25% of the table gets relegated. Still it has given, and will give their lawyer friends plenty of litigation in the years to come. They should be thoroughly ashamed that their position as guardians of English and Welsh cricket is no longer trusted, they do not oversee the good of the game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 11:27 by warehamcricket.

AGod (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 12:14
An excellent post, Wareham, with which I heartily concur.

Current Page: 36 of 38

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net