cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 34 of 38

Re: Rooting for you to beat Middx and stay up next week
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 19:27
Chunky, your constant "holier than thou" comebacks are getting more than tiresome.
Run along now, please.

Dave65 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 19:30
I'll ask again if it isn't down to runs is it down to wickets and if so is 31 wickets on the first 2 days at Lords what you would expect if the wicket had been best quality cricket pitch had been actively prepared. And Hameed's break was on his opposite hand this time.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 19:31
Rod- If posters ask me a question, I'm going to reply, aren't I?

I expect the easiest way to stop me replying is for people to stop engaging me with posts that clearly expect me to respond.

Dave65 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 19:56
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Rod- If posters ask me a question, I'm going to reply, aren't I?

I'll ask for a third time then and see if you reply, if it isn't down to runs is it down to wickets and if so is 31 wickets on the first 2 days at Lords what you would expect if the wicket had been the best quality cricket pitch that had been actively prepared?

Grockle (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 19:59
Chunky. My problem with you is that you have inferred for a while now that this is a conscious policy by Somerset to 'damage' the pitch to gain an advantage for our average spinners in your opinion . To create a spinning wicket that stops the batsmen scoring and gives nothing to seamers and should therefore be called 'Ciderabad'.

No matter how many times you are told and no matter what the figures say you maintain this daft premis on a pretty regular basis.

Well. It's not conscious. If you saw the wicket live regularly you would know this. If this time, on a worn wicket, the groundstaff have done too much then the inspector is well within his rights to call it and Somerset can't complain. BUT you seem to think this vindicates your view that we've been doing this all season. It does nothing of the sort.

Our spin attack is not average. Our spinners take wickets because they bowl well as do our seamers. Your own spinner, who you rate did the same. Batsmen score at Taunton if they are good. The wicket rewards good cricket and punishes the rubbish on both sides. That is what a cricket pitch is supposed to do isn't it?

If at the end of a season on a worn strip the attempt to provide such a competitive surface does not quite come off then that is something to learn from.

It does not indicate compulsive and sustained attempts at flouting the laws have been found out and as some have also said here, it does not prompt a sermon from an occasional visitor whose own county have no right to cast the first stone.

Take your medicine and suck it up while we'll do the same and endeavour not to do it again after our first mistake in a number of seasons. Have your mistakes at Lord's been so few and far between?

(Sm72)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 20:08 by Grockle.

02 October, 2017 20:03
Dave- It didn't infringe any rules. Durham often used to have low scores, bit that was overhead conditions. I don't know if you have ever heard the term, 'At Lord's look up, not down' when deciding what to do (assuming you have the toss). This means on cloudy days wickets are more likely to fall than bright, sunny days. I don't remember the weather now, but under certain conditions (not pitch related) more wickets tend to fall.

The point is, no one thought it unreasonable, or action would have followed.

02 October, 2017 20:09
Grockle- wasn't it one of your own posters who coined the term 'Ciderabad'

I can only say that the pitch inspectors have effectively said 'Don't prepare a pitch of this quality again in the next 12 months, or you are likely to have a points deduction'.

We must assume as qualified people they know the rules, and have reached a fair verdict.

I've already said I accept the verdict.

Dave65 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 20:12
Ah so when wickets fall at Taunton it's the pitches fault, but when wickets fall at Lords it's the weather's fault. And if you really want to talk about terrible pitches then I don't really think your in a position to comment given you play games at Uxbridge, which really isn't fit for county cricket.

02 October, 2017 20:17
Dave- I can only repeat again, that if those pitches were considered to be below the required standard in some way, action would have followed- but it didn't.

Grockle (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 20:25
Funny.... same thing has happened at Taunton for many a year...... so why do we have your comments on our pitches while we aren't supposed to criticise yours?

Physician heal thyself.

(Sm72)

02 October, 2017 20:33
Grockle- Sometimes I come on here intending to make one post, and one post only, but then people, including you, make posts that clearly expect me to reply.

All I wanted to do tonight was convey the information that Somerset are not totally in the clear, because a repeat will lead to a points deduction. No one else had made that point, so it needed to be said, so Somerset supporters know what the situation is.

I had a feeling I would be lucky if I managed to make that point without being detained for questioning, but it was a point that needed to be made.

sfwithers (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 20:39
"Detained for questioning"! Like it. I'm not going to join in this conversation but will wish you all the best for next season. We each support our own teams and sometimes this will result in (hopefully) good-natured arguments, but it doesn't always work that way. I didn't realise until a few days ago that I could post on the Middlesex forum; I haven't yet, but I'll give myself the option!

02 October, 2017 20:41
Does that mean I'm free to go without charge then?

Thank goodness for that.

(Sm1)

somexile (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 20:44
Quote 'All I wanted to do tonight was convey the information that Somerset are not totally in the clear, because a repeat will lead to a points deduction. No one else had made that point, so it needed to be said, so Somerset supporters know what the situation is.'

We are perfectly able to understand the verdict given today thank you without you being so condescending

02 October, 2017 20:50
Right- I've got to come back one final time then.

It isn't on the Somerset press release, nor had it been made clear on here.

[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

sfwithers (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 20:57
Views from a Middx fan on the Guardian today (with a slightly different view from Chunky!):

"I wasn't at the match, but Cider-cam gives a damn good view at both ends. And that pitch had pace and bounce (which Dial M and Finn misused grievously at the beginning), gave lavish bouncy turn, and then settled down. Despite the frightening looks, it played very well for the last week of September.

And if a completely one-eyed Middlesex member can say that, there wasn't too much wrong with it.

The only think really wrong with that pitch was the mindset of the team batting 2nd and 4th on it."

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 21:19
chunky, I've very much enjoyed having your regular contributions on Grockles, and trust that they will continue. I don't go along with a lot of the one-eyed tribalism occasionally displayed here (though I am a fervent Somerset supporter of too many decades). A couple points I would make though:

- although it was missed off the SCCC presser, it was mentioned on this thread a few days ago that a below-average mark would leave a possible suspension over our heads next season.

- the number of runs and wickets DOES matter. CLO Wayne Noon said that it does not matter how a wicket looks, but how it plays. Runs and wickets are evidence of how it played, and comparisons made with other games do have a relevance in that they indicate how any pitch actually behaves.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 21:25
It does seem pretty daft that a pitch that produces results and often exciting games can be penalised, yet the 'roads' we produced for years, eliciting scores approaching four figures with little prospect of yielding anything other than a draw, were (& would continue to be as things stand) regarded as perfectly fine.

Grizzzly

02 October, 2017 21:25
I will make one more post.

According to tonight's Middlesex forum, it appears the Lord's wicket for Lancashire WAS graded below average.

So there you have it. No favouritism for a big London county at all.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 21:28
Wow, better be careful next season then Chunky.

Do that again & you'll lose points.

Tsk tsk. !

Seriously though, hope you guys revert to Division 1 soon. Lord's is always a delight to visit.

Grizzzly

Current Page: 34 of 38

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net