cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 35 of 38

Re: Rooting for you to beat Middx and stay up next week
AGod (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 22:40
I've made it clear on here many times, Chunky, for example when pointing out that the *intent* that both you and Angus Fraser tried to tell us was significant is only significant if a pitch is deemed to be poor or unfit or the second below average track in twelve months.

Grockle mentioned that it was our first mistake 'in many seasons.'

It might, possibly, have been our first ever mistake. Certainly, I can never remember our having suffered an actual points deduction before.

I guess 'below average,' marks are not always heavily publicized. I think, maybe, the track for the home game vs Durham last season might have been graded as below average but that's just based on my recollection of the way the track was described on the Beeb commentary, plus the scores in the match. I don't recall Durham whingeing about the pitch, but then that might have been because there was lavish assistance for both seam and spin and they had Onions/Rushworth/Wood. 184 and 180 beat Durham 189 and 136 by 39 runs, with SCCC taking 5-17 due to what Wisden terms "vicious turn," on the final morning.

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 22:46
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
I reckon Gus Fraser has perfect right to complain about a pitch

Really? Now read what Fraser actually said, for example “I’ve never seen such a doctored pitch”.

From what I saw it had pace and bounce with turn then settled down. It actually played well for the end of September.

However, the pitch inspector has had his say which is accepted.

Given that there wasn't that much wrong with it, the second opinion was a formality. Fraser or anyone else at the time could not ever have believed the pitch was poor. The comments made crossed the line and given his position were a huge mistake.

I don't agree he had this right to complain or intimidate the outcome given his positions

AGod (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 22:48
Guess what, folks:

At the Middx supporters forum tonight it was announced that the track for the Lancashire game has been officially assessed as..............

wait for it.............

Below average..

I kid you not.

Scrumper (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 00:47
Link?

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 01:00
Quote:
Scrumper
Link?

(Last post on page below):

[www.cricketnetwork.co.uk]

Grizzzly

Scrumper (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 01:07
Cheers drinking smiley

Grockle (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 03:49
As much as you are welcome here most of the time Chunky, i have to agree with those who have found your tone over this condescending and patronising as if bringing religion to the yokels of the South West.

We know our cricket, we"ve been here a while. We don't particularly need you to tell us anything so don't feel pressurised to keep having to sigh and return to provide your pearls of wisdom to those who struggle to understand.

We are your cricketing equals. We know where your slant comes from. Leave the condescension at the door in future or stop complaining when we don't accept it. If the pressure gets too much then the choice is of course always yours. No post demands a reply and in this debate you've returned many times becauae you like the look of your own type and have a zeal to bring us your view from the cultured South East that you think we've missed.

We haven't and it ain't that cultured.

(Sm72)

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 06:50
A typical Grockle type post.

You are entitled to post what you want.

I like you all, but a day never goes by on this forum without posts about
Strauss/Fraser/Graves/ECB having a downer on Somerset because you are not a big club. It gets very tiresome reading that again and again if something doesn't go your way.

And most of the time I let it slip by unchallenged, don't I?

The events of last few days- both clubs getting below average marks, and the near certainty the Arrowgate appeal will fail should tell you there is no favouritism,

03 October, 2017 08:30
Noone on this forum or anywhere else has given a cricketing reason how Jack Leach is not in the England 16 for the Ashes. I believe if he was playing for Middlesex he would be there

somexile (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 08:31
At the time I thought the comments Fraser made about the Somerset wicket were inaccurate, unfair and made with a not very hidden agenda but now knowing that when he made them he was aware of the below average grading for the wicket at Lords my opinion of him has reached a new low

AGod (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 08:43
He's behaved like a spoilt child.

I suspect that he, himself, feels that some of the criticism of him on MTWD (that he's been asleep at the wheel and did not take the danger of relegation seriously enough, early enough) is not without foundation and he's been lashing out to try to deflect criticism from his own mistakes/shortcomings.

One mistake that he surely made was to fail to select Nick Gubbins for the final match. That man has essentially owned our bowling attack and I'm sure it was a huge boost to see that he wasn't playing. I know he hadn't been in great form but then neither had the Compdog.

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 09:36
Talk of Nick Compton having a benefit year next year, but not seen an official announcement.

sfwithers (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 10:02
I must admit to being hugely relieved yesterday re the pitch, and though I'd like to hear confirmation that the points deduction from 'Arrowgate' stands, I think it very unlikely (though not impossible) that it will be changed at this absurdly late stage. The legal and practical can of worms it would open would be enormous.

Now it's a case of trying to avoid repeating the starts we made to the last two seasons next time around. New coaches might well help when it comes to repeating history, and hopefully S Davies and Tom Abell will be able to carry over some of their form from the end of the season. Davies, in particular, finally delivered on the batting that he was brought in for. And if we can get a full season from Jamie Overton and Lewis Gregory I'd be reasonably optimistic about not scrapping for relegation. That said, I'd still like to see a signing or two – top-order batsman, pace bowler – though the lingering uncertainty of Arrowgate probably isn't helping here either.

And on an unrelated note I've just bought a signed cricket bat on eBay dating from, I think, 1989. It's for my dad's Christmas present and is signed by 14 Somerset players and 12 Nottingham players. These include Marks, Tavare, Gard, Rose, Harden and Burns with Chris Broad and Tim Robinson among the Notts players. And this cost me a mighty £10 - less than the price of an unsigned bat. It's so nice that I might just keep it for myself!

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 10:09
I hope your dad doesn't read this site! he is going to be pleased or unhappy depending on what you decide to do with the bat.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 10:09
sfw! Poor dad.

03 October, 2017 10:34
Actually the marking of the Lord's wicket as "below average" does indicate favouritism, because the problem was uneven bounce, and that's supposed to be classified as "poor", with an immediate points reduction.

I tell you what, if Hants had failed to draw on the final day, and gone down, Bransgrove would have been all over that like a rash.

Pity, really. Would have been immensely entertaining.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2017 10:36 by That Bloke With The Dog.

AGod (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 11:50
I think they were given a mulligan due to extenuating circumstances - volume of rain that had fallen in the days when the pitch was being prepared.

The ECB is usually quite lenient in this regard.

You may recall that Warks got away with preparing a pitch that was unfit for first-class cricket against us last season, also due to extenuating circumstances.

03 October, 2017 14:31
Fair enough.

Still would have been amusing to see Fraser defending it though, given his "worst I've seen in 35 years" outburst about the Taunton pitch.

Grockle (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 14:37
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
A typical Grockle type post.
You are entitled to post what you want.

I like you all, but a day never goes by on this forum without posts about Strauss/Fraser/Graves/ECB having a downer on Somerset because you are not a big club. It gets very tiresome reading that again and again if something doesn't go your way.

And most of the time I let it slip by unchallenged, don't I....

Are we supposed to care if you 'challenge' or not Chunky?

Why do you think we give a flying anything whether, you post, challenge or you don't.

You are a visitor here. It's become clear over the last few days what your opinions/perspectives are and how uninformed you are about the reality of Somerset's situation in relation to cricket's ruling @#$%&.

When did someone here last mention Strauss? Was it recently? Are you reading Grockles from a parrallel universe? You really haven't got much of an idea but you do seem to have an inflated opinion of how much we care whether you post at all.

You CAN post what you want or you can post nothing at all. But if we are 'tiresome' then don't rush if we bore you. We have enough arrogant posters here. One more is neither here nor there.

(Sm72)

03 October, 2017 15:19
Compdog? That's the worse nickname I've heard in 35 years, it's a disgrace and with intent

Current Page: 35 of 38

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net