cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Re: Craig Overton in Ashes squad
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 08:52
Ravi Patel took 10 wickets in the current match, AGod, and he normally doesn't get in the Middlesex side.

There's your answer- Think how many he would take if he played at Taunton every week.

I make it 70, plus whatever he took in away games.

Ravi for England!

AGod (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 08:56
And how many of those were to daft shots and/or (in the case of the second innings) a side pushing for quick runs?

Anyway, Chunky, I recall a few years ago that you and others were really signing Patel's praises as a guy with real ability, do I not?

Obviously Patel cannot bat as Rayner can. He's not remotely as useful as a fielder, either. But one wonders how far behind he really is as a bowler?

By the way, one third of Leachy's wickets since the start of last season have come away from Taunton and, last time I checked, opponents don't deliberately prepare tracks to suit him...

28 September, 2017 08:59
it was actually Patel who effected the run out in your fist innings, so he has clearly been working on his fielding.

Anyway, thread is meant to be about Overton C.

AGod (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 09:02
Not sure there's too much more to say about Craig's well deserved call-up, although there might be later, should he add a few more Middx wickets.

Regardless, as you'll have seen this thread as also touched on other aspects of the Ashes selection e.g. Vince etc...... we don't have to maintain military thread discipline here.

AGod (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 09:47
"The same applies to Overton, who has been outstanding for Somerset this summer, though it is mildly surprising that Steven Finn, like Adil Rashid, has been banished. Once Toby Roland-Jones and Mark Wood were insufficiently fit, Finn must have fancied his chances. Overton could be the recipient of the old jibe once delivered to Steve Waugh, “You’re not even the best player in your own family”. Overton’s twin brother, Jamie, has often been regarded as a more likely Test cricketer since he bowls faster when fit, which is not the case at the moment."

Quite why Vic Marks, in this piece from the Grauniad, should think that anybody would say that to Craig Overton, I have no idea.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 11:27
I have been informed that some five years ago Jack Leach's tonsorial adviser told him that he might as well tear his hair out at once, for otherwise he would spend the rest of his life doing so.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 23:49
Yesterday all the commentators were saying that Craig O (along with Foakes and Crane) would do little more than carry the drinks on the Ashes tour.

I wonder if the Ben Stokes fallout, changes all this. For if England want an all-rounder replacement, rather than just a batting one, for Stokes, Craig is the only candidate currently in the Ashes party who comes anywhere near this description

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 00:53
My feelings yesterday were that Craig has a good outside chance of playing an Ashes test. We would be kidding ourselves if we thought he was a likely choice for Brisbane (although an exceptional performance in early tour matches can throw preconceived plans awry) but it is a long tour, hard Australian pitches are unforgiving (so too sandy outfields) and Anderson is old whilst Broad's ankles aren't what they were.

Stokes' misdemeanors must surely make his participation unlikely. However with England's all rounder cupboard well stocked for the winter shuffling Bairstow and Moeen up the order a place, then Woakes at 8 ahead of Broad, Anderson and a fourth seamer still leaves a balanced team. I would probably expect Jake Ball to be that fourth seamer as things stand at the moment. But as I've said, warm up matches might alter the pecking order; injuries certainly would.

Of more interest is who England would add to the squad as a Stokes replacement. My initial reaction was Plunkett - pacy bowler, who bowls that oft used phrase a 'heavy ball' and is no mug as an attacking lower order batsman. Many felt he was unlucky to miss selection.

However, after some thought, I wondered which aspect of the Stokes game would England miss most, for it is this they should replace. What about Stokes' all round game is most likely to be a gamechanger in the Ashes. I think its his batting. He can take the game away from the opposition in the matter of a session - on many occasions even when England's top order has had a bit if a mare. It is this that will worry the Aussies the most and this England should look to replace. Yes he doesn't always come off but the success at home this summer has been built on the engine room of Stokes, Bairstow and Ali at 6, 7,8. Also mustn't forget the role Stokes plays with his fielding. (Maybe we need to replace him with two rather than a single player)

You'll shout me down about red ball form. My Stokes replacement would be Jos.

Scrumper (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 01:11
Stokes will be on the plane.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 02:49
You reckon? For sure England will want him, but matters may be out of their hands.

AGod (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 06:05
No, the only case Jos could make to replace Stokes would be as a gun fielder.

Jos's red ball batting has advanced not one iota over the past two years.

AGod (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 07:54
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Interesting point from Aggers.

In the past the two division structure has been held to be a great thing that has helped England to improve by producing high intensity and high quality games in CC1.

Agnew makes the counter-argument "More than half of the players in the country are not credible possibilities to even be considered for selection because the step from CC2 to the Test side is far too great."

On balance, I still much prefer the two division set-up, but it's an interesting argument by Aggers.

On balance, much as I have always detested the Australian cricket team and love nothing better than to beat them, I look at this touring party - especially if shorn of Stokes and can think only of a very heavy defeat, I'm afraid. I think we'll lose 3-1 (with maybe a draw in Adelaide) or 4-1. We'll lose at the Gabba and at the WACA for sure, IMO. And that would put us 2-0 down after three games unless we can find a miracle win at the Adelaide Oval.

Jim Maxwell says 5-0 Aussie and, when you consider that James Vince is supposedly going to bat at number three.... yikes.

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 08:28
Quote:
AGod
...Jos's red ball batting has advanced not one iota over the past two years.

True. I wonder what he could have done in the past to improve that situation?

It's the choices we make that define us I am afraid.

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 08:28
Ben Stokes and Alex Hales will not be considered by England for international cricket until further notice after they were involved in an incident near a Bristol nightclub.

So the BBC says.

29 September, 2017 08:45
Scrumper-

Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but now the video evidence has emerged, if a jury finds him guilty, he might even get a prison sentence.

Not really the kind of person you want on an Ashes tour, and 'suspended until further notice' will surely only be rescinded when there a a reason to do so (something changes).

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 08:51
I suppose it will be on the basis of where the provocation came from and then whether 'reasonable force' was used. Did the Bristol cops bottle it because of who it was or was the response justified by the attack - if attack there was.

Aggravated Assault is not a minor charge and I have hope that it was dropped because the players were defending themselves rather than carrying on some argument from elsewhere that they instigated. But who knows whether Stokes' response was justified even in those circumstances.

I just hope as has been expressed here a number of times that the two men are 'innocent until proven guilty'

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 09:55
I thought the charge was ABH that he is meant to be facing?

I do feel pretty sorry for Alex Hales.

No doubt, the person involved in the altercation with Ben S will sell his story to the papers for loads of moolah.

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 09:57
You are probably right AG but I thought the charges had been dropped and he had been released without charge.

(Sm72)

somexile (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 10:59
I think BS was released pending further investigation. Not sure whether the police had access to the video before or after he was released from custody.

re Ashes Squad With Wood likely to be picked for Lions. I would not be surprised if he is able to prove fitness he will be added to Ashes squad.

AGod (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 11:17
Yes.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net