cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Re: Matt Maynard leaving Somerset
Grockle (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 19:08
Andy H Julia

(Sm72)

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 19:09
Sarge is Hurry, Julia.

Slow Left Chinaman (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 19:13
Andy Hurry is sarge.

JuliaW (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 19:13
Thanks Grockle and Paul. smiling smiley

As a 'new' supporter I'm not up to speed on nicknames.

Just read up on Andy Hurry - he looks a good pick for the job based on his experience. Was he popular/effective when previously at the club?

Grockle (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 19:17
Depends whether you think a coach who hasn't played cricket is good enough. I don't think we had many cpmplaints and his work here moved him on the where he is now. I'll welcome him back with open arms personally.

(Sm72)

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 19:19
I would have thought that our New DOC, would want a say in his Head Coach, and the Head Coach would want a say in those under him.

My thoughts for what they are worth.
Chris Rogers DOC .....He has the contacts worldwide.
Andy Hurry Coach
Tres Batting
Steffan Jones Bowling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/09/2017 19:24 by Roger ivanhoe.

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 19:53
Wow, nothing more will surprise me this week.

Well done Matt, you had the first ever Championship title in the bag and so nearly limited over success as well.

I only hope your replacements will better this and we don't see another relegation dogfight.

How did Somerset ever manage in the 1970's and 80's without these people?

WyvernRose (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 20:05
Was a bit surprised by this because the two year extension seemed to be such a statement of intent. Will it have cost the club much to buy it out?

Re: Matt Maynard leaving Somerset.
Jim in the know (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 20:16
It's Hurry from outside after leaving his ECB job and Kerr promoted internally. I'm not overly excited by it all

AGod (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 20:24
Well, thank you for trying, Matthew.

But thank you for not being timid with your decision-making, Mr Cooper.

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 20:25
Amicable Agreement, WR.

No major works planned for the winter, only required maintenance around the ground.

Seems there could be some future interest in the old Barnicotts building, which the Club owned at one time. The building not long ago received planning permission for conversion to start up type units.

AGod (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 20:26
Roger - agree completely with the first paragraph of your 19.19

27 September, 2017 20:34
I'm happy at the prospect of a Hurry/Kerr ticket precisely because of the lack of excitement - we know what we'll be getting: one man who, alongside Langer, transformed the culture at Somerset and gave us years which, in retrospect, turned out to be gloriously exciting ones; and a coach whose bowlers have single-handedly kept us in contention this year.

As for the fallout from Maynard: if I've understood Grockle's post correctly, then Maynard may be part of the reason we're losing Veness, which is a pretty poor testimony as to what has been going on here for the last three years. I suppose the question of how much it's going to cost to remove Maynard depends on what happens next. If he pops up with a new job elsewhere within the next few days, the answer may be not much; if he disappears from view though, the answer may be a rather uncomfortable one.

Scrumper (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 20:41
Maybe we could use his coach driving skills?

Dave65 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 20:52
I have said for years that the structure of the club is wrong and that the DOC is trying to do the job of two people, I'm pleased that someone at the club finally thinks the same.

AGod (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 20:56
Realistically, Matthew had two problems:

A) He was too stubborn

And

cool smiley He tried to put far too much on his own plate.

We almost all of us said, at the time, that disposing of Dave Houghton was a mistake and we also all said it wasn't a great plan for MM to become batting coach himself.

The coach driving thing was particularly bizarre from a point of view of - don't you already have enough to do, man?

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:01
I wonder if Darren Veness will change his mind now and stay? confused smiley

AGod (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:03
What was the problem there, then? Was Matthew trying to do Darren's job as well as everything else!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/09/2017 21:03 by AGod.

AGod (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:11
George Dobell's report suggests that Lee Cooper, like me, was deeply irritated by the failure to secure any overseas player after the loss of Elgar.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:13
and the loss of Adam Hose.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net