cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Re: Matt Maynard leaving Somerset
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:22
I imagine all that 'I'd sooner give people one game too many' nonsense (particularly as it was more like four games too many), probably sealed his fate, and the new CEO knew he would make a change as soon as he got his feet under the table.

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:24
Both those items were mentioned by Lee Cooper at the Q & A today, but at the same time he did point out that due to the large number of responsibilities placed on MM by the structure that had been set up, that maybe it did not allow as much attention as was needed to tackle the issues along with the batting failures.

My post is not word for word, but to give a outline.

AGod (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:27
Yes, Roger... the question needs to be asked.... who decided that this structure was the right one? Was it MM's own decision? Even if it was, who signed off on that structure? Perhaps those responsible should also leave? Or, I suppose that if it was just Guy L responsible then that's already happened.

DeanSwift (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:29
Thanks Matthew Maynard for all your efforts. Good luck in the future.

If we go for an out of contract Hurry and promote Kerr internally we must be as skint as people are saying.

Personally would love to see Paul Collingwood as Head Coach.

Slow Left Chinaman (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:32
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
I imagine all that 'I'd sooner give people one game too many' nonsense (particularly as it was more like four games too many), probably sealed his fate, and the new CEO knew he would make a change as soon as he got his feet under the table.

Is that nonsense? Would bringing in Bartlett earlier in the season (and for whom? you couldn't drop everyone who was out of form!) have driven us upwards??

AGod (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:33
I imagine Colly will walk into the job at Durham, should he want it, when the time comes.

Whilst I personally don't really buy any stuff about 'the particular culture of SCCC etc,' as alluded to by George Dobell, it's perfectly possible that Lee Cooper does believe in that stuff and believes that AH and JID Kerr are 'steeped in the right stuff,' rather than being anything to do with saving money.

27 September, 2017 21:33
From the sound of what was said that it was likely that the new DOC might well travel to acquire a top overseas batter, I.E. face to face negotiations.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:35
I'm guessing they need to replace Maynard in A Hurry.

(Sm159)

AGod (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:39
Same would make a lot of sense, Roger.

On the other hand, looking at the appointments we are making - easy to agree with Lee Cooper that DoC and HC are two different roles that require different skills.... but isn't all of Hurry's background and (presumably his skill set?) about coaching?

27 September, 2017 21:43
The ECB role has been more about coordinating coaching and has surely helped him build up fantastic contacts throughout the other counties (and hopefully the players worth poaching).

AGod (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:44
Hopefully.

27 September, 2017 21:46
AGod, And that was why I went for Chris Rogers as DOC, and Andy Hurry for Head Coach.

But could be so wrong on my selections.

27 September, 2017 21:49
Despite Hurry having current experience of coordinating cricket, and Rogers experience being limited to a "mixed" season as our batting coach? Good captains don't automatically make good Directors - just ask Chris Adams!

Dave65 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:52
I'd be delighted to see Andy Hurry back at the club in either role. I would also like to see Chris Rogers given a more prominent role as whenever I hear him talk he talks a lot of sense, he is highly respected in the game and is likely to have some good contacts to be able to utilise.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 21:59
Just think of this, if all Somerset wanted to do was to spit MM job into two jobs DOC and Coach, wouldn't MM be kept on in one of the jobs if Somerset wanted him to stay.

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 22:02
Hurry was pretty ineffectual when he had a role here before. He was out of his depth on cricket matters IMO having only played the game at club level.

Chris Rogers would be a sound appointment, but why does anybody think that he would be prepared to up roots from Australia to take on a permanent role here? It is after all an all the year round job, and not just a short term contract that he has as our batting coach this year.

None of Hurry, Nosworthy or Maynard have been success stories, and it appears that the club is rushing into a decision without advertising for the posts and taking their time to appoint the right personnel.

Typical Somerset CCC.

27 September, 2017 22:03
Don't we have the longest current (!) Div 1 record of any county? Pretty amazing we've managed that despite a series of failures.

AGod (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 22:13
Mike - I may be totally wrong but my assumptions are:

A) Matthew wouldn't want to be DOC with a HC beneath him because MM wants to be hands-on and do the coaching himself.

cool smiley He wouldn't want the HC role with a DoC above him because he wants to call the shots.

27 September, 2017 22:21
Correct IMO AGod.

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 23:24
Tom: I thought you'd be dancing in the streets! Are you ever happy? 😉

I'd say Hurry was pretty successful, and Kerr certainly has been - can we have them, plus Rogers and Collingwood...? Some counties have had T20-specific coaches.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net