cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Re: Matt Maynard leaving Somerset
Grockle (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 16:22
One of those special ones Somerset LLL.

(Sm72)

28 September, 2017 16:24
@ Tom Seymour's assertion that hurry was not responsible for Langer signing up to Somerset. These are Langer's words:

I made 342 against Anil Kumble and Surrey and it was during that game that I decided I wanted to sign on with Somerset for the following season and I really fell in love with the place. I had an issue with a guy that used to follow me around all the time and bother me. He showed up at this game so Andy Hurry and Darren Venness, the physio, went round and had a quiet word in his ear. I never saw him again after that and that gave me a real sense of the family feel of the place, how people looked out for one another. I signed up on the bus that very night. They were the three best years of my life.

[www.alloutcricket.com]

I don't doubt that there were other people involved in bringing Langer here, but without the kind of characters we had then in Hurry (and Veness), it's doubtful, from that quote of Langer's himself, that we would have kept him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2017 16:27 by That Bloke With The Dog.

Grockle (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 16:31
Thanks "That Bloke... " there's a piece of evidence that backs something up rather than recollected hearsay to back up a personal opinion as if it is factual.

We're getting somewhere.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2017 16:33 by Grockle.

Dave65 (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 16:58
Having read Langer's autobiography it's their in black and white that Andy Hurry played a very key role in getting him into the club.

sfwithers (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 17:12
That's a bizarre anecdote from Langer (and how we could have done with him this season, or Rogers, or Waugh, or Cox come to that...)

AGod (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 18:38
Roger - in this report Matthew Maynard confirms what you and I suspected - that there were discussions about him continuing as HC but that it was felt that he might clash with a DoC figure:

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 18:59
That Bloke With The Dog - who was Langer playing with when he scored 342 v. Surrey? Well, yes it was Somerset of course and somebody other than Hurry and Venness enticed him, as you correctly surmised, to play for us prior to that game.

We would have kept him if the money was right - make no mistake. And we did.

Perhaps instead of a D o C and Head Coach, we should simply hire a couple of Bouncers from the local Nightclub. It's laughable really. (Sm22)

Edited to remove provocative comments of no value to the thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/09/2017 12:35 by Grockle.

Big Jim (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 19:00
What a bitter man you are Tom. What's the matter, gutted we didn't get relegated?

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 19:18
What is the problem? There's one person we all know who has demonstrated his total understanding of the complex game of cricket and of those who play it and that man is the obvious candidate for the post of Head of Absolutely Everything. He is a contributor to this site...

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 19:20
Yes AGod, and I cannot see how MM would have been considered for the position of DOC, so while they might have gone through the motions of discussing him (MM) staying on a HC, it was not really going to happen, IMO, as Mathew never appeared to want to change the methods he believes are correct.

Next weeks promised announcements could well prove interesting, if reports of names being voiced are correct, with Andy Hurry as DOC, Kerr as HC, that scenario leaves us short of a bowling coach.

Another thought the club might turn to Steve Snell as HC, and Kerr staying where he is.

AGod (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 19:28
I hope that we would hire a separate bowling coach rather than have Jason try to combine HC and bowling coach.

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 19:34
Just wanted to say I wish Matt Maynard every success in whatever he may do from here on, and thank him for his efforts and his service for Somerset. He was gracious enough to express his appreciation to the Club and the fans - we clearly aren't an easy bunch to satisfy, so I for one appreciate his efforts and wish him well.

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 19:35
If so, Roger the cosiness of the club gets cosier.

Can we not afford to advertise posts as other counties do? Do we necessarily get the right personnel in place by promoting from within or by bringing back employees from the past? Promote from within by all means, but first look at what else is available in the market place.

That is the way my business operated and Somerset CCC is a business.

These are important positions to be filled, not junior admin posts.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 19:48
There are two Somerset retired bowling might be worth considering.

Kirby & Thomas.

28 September, 2017 19:49
Oh come on Tom, we are all in the dark as to who will be taking up the new positions, we are just picking up on names reported in the press, and floating rumours and then commenting on our own preferences.

If you went to the meeting on Wednesday you will have heard to expect at least one new arrival.

Anyway I personally think that Steve Snell has done a good job.

So who would your choices be ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2017 20:14 by Roger ivanhoe.

AGod (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 19:51
Then again, Tom, we went the formal selection process, interviews route last time and somebody fell for whatever spiel it was that Dave Nosworthy gave in an interview....

Sometimes there's something to be said for appointing people whose work you have *seen* in action rather than going on references given by other people, the persona that they present in an interview etc...

At least we know who Andy Hurry is, we're not guessing...

That's the problem with interviews........... more often than not people end up appointing not the best person for the job, but the person that was best at doing an interview..

28 September, 2017 20:12
Mike, I would love to have seen Steve Kirby given a position when he retired, still would but unlikely he would want to give up the position he has at Lords.

I would add Andy Caddick and Steffan Jones to your two suggestions.
Not sure myself that Andy has the communication skills needed myself.

Wickham (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 20:49
I was about to make the point - which AG has made very well in his post of 19.51 - that interviews can be a lottery. There's a lot to be said for "better the devil you know" - not, in case anyone should get the wrong idea, that I regard any of the named candidates as less than very strong contenders.

Slow Left Chinaman (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 21:04
Also, and I feel this needs repeating every time a vacancy comes up.

A GOOD PLAYER DOESN'T MAKE A GOOD COACH.

Why would we even consider Caddick, a man with zero coaching experience, and poor personal/communication skills? That would seem absolutely idiotic and negligent to me.

Therfield (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 21:16
Perhaps we could have a 'rogues gallery' image and try to identify one another, which might avoid some of the sniping which detracts from our great performance.

Can we not just enjoy this rare moment of celebration?

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net