cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10

Re: Matt Maynard leaving Somerset
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 21:25
When he was with Somerset Justin Langer never missed an opportunity to express his thanks and regard for the work done by Andy Hurry. Their cricket playing paths may have traversed completely different altitudes but Sarge and Wee Justin's psyches are hewn from the same granite.

His cricket pedigree didn't seem to put off the ECB when they had a vacancy.

cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 23:36
Alfonso Thomas, who has been mentioned as a possible bowling coach, did the job for Kent this summer in the 20/20 tournament. He still lives in Somerset and plays club cricket for Bridgwater.

Big Jim (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 00:40
Couldn't ask for a better man for the job.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 00:56
I'd also put a word in for Steffan Jones, currently at Wellington School, although he's coached on a one-to-one basis with professional cricketers too, including Stuart Broad I believe

Scrumper (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 01:16
Someone who I hear a lot of good things about is Richard Ellison. He lives and coaches locally. I'd love to see him involved.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 02:48
What's Graeme Smith doing these days outside of his media commitments?

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 08:19
Steff has been very active in bowling coaching and innovation since he left the professional scene. He does a lot of workshops and has a very active Twitter account and following on all aspects of the art of bwoling.

(Sm72)

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 08:25
I can live without you Tom... so don't worry about substantiating anything to me I expect that you can't in most cases where I question one of your assertions. But you see how evidence can be used to disprove those points you make sometimes?

The question really is can you live without us Mr Seymour.

I'm not sure you can any more.

Edited for being slightly provocative.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/09/2017 12:33 by Grockle.

somerset blue (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 09:04
A partnership of A. Hurry and J. Kerr would be the best outcome for Somerset CCC in my opinion, both meticulous individuals who will get every ounce of ability out of our group by ensuring lifestyle and physical fitness is top notch. Alfonso would be an excellent assistant coach and a few classes above S. Jones, but who to help the batters?

Perhaps Mr. Vennes will change his mind with these changes now on the horizon. Watch this space.

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 09:33
With Chris Rogers already on the staff that may not be a question we need to answer.

I'm not sure if he is willing to stay, I'm not all that sure he has been successful this year or how he is seen by the top floor or in fact if he wants more than that and may put his hat in the ring for the top job.

But he is an option for batting coach.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/09/2017 09:33 by Grockle.

29 September, 2017 09:35
A couple of points in favour of bringing A Thomas back to the club as a bowling coach:

1) It appears that he basically coached himself into becoming a uniquely better bowler while playing here. We take a lot of his skills for granted now, but it seemed to me that he was ahead of his time in recognizing that those skills aren't a luxury, but rather that they're what a modern bowler needs to learn to be effective these days. If he could work out his own deficiencies (always a hard thing to do) and improve himself, you'd expect him to be good with other players too.

2) There wouldn't be any disruption or uprooting his family to bring him here. I mean, he lives in the Bishops Hull area: it just means he'd have to walk the dog into town to the County Ground in the mornings instead of by the river!

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 09:48
Something to remember, Middlesex elected to have a toss on the first morning so they wanted to bat first, with of all the talk of excessive spin on day one/two we did them a favour by batting first.

After I returned home after all the celebration had died down I decided to go for a walk along the river bank at about 3.30, I always walk through the ground to get to the river and I notice the players were still on their balcony celebrating, as I walked by I gave them a clap and one of the players held his glass (empty) up to me.

The scoreboard was showing a group celebration photo, and the Stragglers were beginning to shut up shop for the day.

Talking of the Stragglers, I would like to thank all the Somerset Staff for all their hard work throughout the season, The staff most of us come in contact with is the reception and those inside and the staff that run the Stragglers. You couldn't ask for a better bunch of people and the Straggler Staff deserve a special mention for their friendliness.

Winter well everybody.

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 09:54
You too Mike. On my post about the end of the season CJM mentioned that I'd covered everyone. Well there is a bunch that I haven't included - though I suppose mentioning Ben in some way mentions the 'back of office' staff.

But I also missed you. I know it has been a frustrating year for you with the mess that Photobucket created for you and I know we miss the online photos after a day's play but I need to remind people that the pictures are still available through the links to your folders and we must discuss if there is any way we can help get your third party access back so we can appreciate the work you put in during the year to give us the most excellent photo record that we know and appreciate you for.

Thanks for this season as for every other and winter well yourself.

(Sm72)

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 14:17
Would Gary Palmer be an interested candidate for batting coach?

AGod (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 14:33
He might well be, but whether the club would be brave enough..

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 14:54
Gary Palmer was at the ground I noticed for most of the Middlesex match.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 09:05
Its official.

Andy Hurry DOC
Jason Kerr Head Coach

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 09:10
I put it on a different thread, I forgot about this thread.

[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 09:20
Sorry Mike we posted at the same time!

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 09:20
Good 👍

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net