cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
PHEW!! The end of 2017 was 'interesting'
Grockles.com (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 08:07
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2017 11:41 by Grockle.

Re: PHEW!! The end of 2016 was 'interesting'
stevecav (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 08:43
Thanks for this beautifully balanced and positive piece Grockle. Lots to feel good about still. I think there are many of us who are very concerned that a way will be found to consign us to Division 2, but at least this article made me feel, so what? If they screw us, possibly today, we'll just be back anyway probably stronger.

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 08:46
Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

You are probably right and as we can do little about it if they do we'll just have to keep '...bu99ering on...' I suppose.

At least we'd go into it knowing what it would have felt like had we saved ourselves.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/09/2017 08:47 by Grockle.

Rod1883 (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 09:04
Nice piece, thanks Grockle.

I dearly hope we are not shafted as that would just destroy the memory of yesterday and any faith in the authorities for me.

cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 09:44
As see it, you have covered all bases for the 2017 season. Quite an achievement so soon after the season has ended.

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 09:49
Nah... CJM someone will find one I've missed.

(Sm72)

Bobstan (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 09:53
Well said, Steve and well written , Grock. You have said things that needed saying, and said them with humanity and more insight than many of us have.

As always at season's end, thank you for keeping this site going. There are times we all get frustrated but particularly for exiles it keeps us in closer touch.

I miss Mike TA1's photos although I understand why they can no longer appear.

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 09:56
Just posted to Mike on that very subject Bobstan. There must be a way of sorting that but I haven't worked it out yet.

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 10:36
I am having trouble keeping up with all the post and have only just read this thread.

Yep, always a big thank to Grockle (Paul) in keeping this site going, without it Somerset Cricket Club would be a lot less informative on cricketing matters. Somebody once said to me the Grockle web site is free advertising for the club.

sfwithers (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 10:46
Would also like to thank Grockle, though the stress of following Somerset CCC can't be doing my health any good. But it's good to know there are other like minds out there. Hopefully next season I might even get to see a day or two. I was brought up in Bath and saw pretty much every day there from the early 70s for a few decades, as well as one-day cricket in Street, Glastonbury, Imperial Ground, Bristol, finals at Lords (one victory, many more defeats), matches at Old Trafford, Headingley, Hove, Cardiff and more, though only one day's cricket at Taunton so far - but it was a good one: Somerset vs Warwickshire C&G semi-final in 2001 when they recovered from 6 for 3. Here's to a less-stressful 2018...

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 11:08
Yes it has been accused of that in the past. I think it was meant as a veiled accusation that we were the club's unofficial 'mouthpiece'. People who think that don't or can't read enough of our content

If SCCC or anyone else wants to contribute, anonymously of course to our upkeep we're not proud. Ithink we ought to get in on the Tractor 'one off' T shirt business myself.

(Sm72)

Therfield (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 12:45
Why is the thread title for 2016?

AGod (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 13:01
Because it was 'interesting,' too?

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 13:26
Why do you expect Venness to be back? If he has accepted a new post with Surrey and handed in his notice, why would he change his mind and would the club accept him back?

IMO you make your bed and you lie on it.

The people who deserve most thanks (and I sincerely hope that they are suitably rewarded by the club) are Simon Lee and his hard - working groundstaff. Without the pitches that they diligently prepared, we probably wouldn't have had anything to rejoice over yesterday.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

AGod (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 13:35
Yes, Mr Maynard said as much.

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 14:12
Yep very true Tom. I told CJM somebody would pick up on the ones I missed. They certainly need our thanks.

No idea why its 2016 (won't be for much longer). Maybe doing it while half asleep on a whim perhaps. Thanks for pointing it out.

I said Daz would be back. I didn't say he'd be working here and I didn't say it would be soon.

I think what he does is pretty much up to him and I'm sure if he wants to make another bed to lie on he will so I'm not sure he'll be interested in YO.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/09/2017 14:25 by Grockle.

Re: PHEW!! The end of 2017 was 'interesting'
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 17:28
Thanks again, Grockles, for keeping this site going for yet another season (a 15th in my case), withstanding rather too many cross-bowed arrows aimed in your direction, and for your generous comments on players, officials, backroom staff and supporters.

I would like to add my special tribute to two players in whom some of us never lost faith and who made major contributions to our success in the second half of the season after suffering from poor form in the first: they are, of course, Trescothick and Hildreth.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 17:35
Well said all, and thanks to Grockle for an excellent summary.

Sincerely hope that the Championship outcome was determined on the field yesterday, and won't be decided elsewhere in the days/weeks to come.

Grizzzly

Wickham (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 18:04
Very well put, Grockle. I'd like to echo the thanks which others have expressed for all your hard work in keeping this site going.

I'd also like to thank Farmer White for his wonderful pieces. A great cricket writer needs have a love and feel for the game, its players and followers, good observational and analytical skills and a felicitous use of language. FW has all these characteristics and more.

I should also like to thank wsm fan for his unstintingly positive and supportive posts - which have certainly cheered up me and, I suspect, others.

Finally, I thank all those with whom I have sat and enjoyed matches - at Taunton, the Oval and Chelmsford - for their company, conversation and friendship.

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 18:15
Every word of Wickham's post goes for me too - thank you one and all.

Well, not every word - the last sentence doesn't apply to me - I only got to one day of Somerset cricket in 2017, Roussouw's thrashing of us in the 50-over game back in, I think, May. Hoping those currently unwell swiftly recover, and to see more of the team and supporters in 2018.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net