cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: PHEW!! The end of 2017 was 'interesting'
Farmer White (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:13
Just surfacing after a week meandering between Cardiff, Salisbury and Minehead. Saw a Justin Hayward concert in Cardiff. He joined the Moody Blues, and is still with them when they do their occasional tours, in 1966 a year before Somerset's first Lord's Final.

Somerset came third in the Championship in 1966 and England won the world Cup at Wembley. Five of the top eight Counties in the Championship that year did not play at Test Grounds nor have they acquired that status since. Different world. Same songs.

However I digress, if it is possible to digress before you have started.

The main purpose of this post is to thank Grockle.

Firstly for listing me with the team and other Club staff at the head of this thread although since I do not score a run, take a wicket, hold a catch or do anything to coach or support those that do I am not sure I quite warrant being in that batting order.

Above all I would like to thank Grockle for the constant unseen work he must do to maintain this site. I have no idea what it entails for I am not technically minded but I do know from someonre who once had a cricket blog that being responsible for anything like this involves continuous effort month in month out. Without that work my posts would never have been written.

Thanks to Wickham too for his very kind words, to Shepton for echoing them but in truth I only reflect my impression of what I see and hear. What takes the time and delays the posts more than I would like is finding the right words and getting them in the right order. I really should sign them off 'Farmer White and the Thesaurus'.

Perhaps next year, for already as I sit here behind glass bathed in the warmth of the October sun pouring over the Blackdowns I am thinking June in the Trescothick Stand.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 17:53
My prediction for 2018.

Because of the deafening silence by the ECB on the problems caused mainly by 25% of division one teams being relegated at the end of each season, many of us believe there will be some sort of change in the structure of the two divisions next season to keep Middlesex in division one thus keeping the people happy who are causing all the fuss since the season ended.

warehamcricket (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 10:29
As a newcomer to this site in terms of posts, although having followed it for quite a time, it is impressive in terms of debate, argument, general cricket knowledge and specific Somerset CCC knowledge. So well done to all those who contribute and obviously Grockle who does an enormous amount of work to keep it so good. Having seen all home Championship matches except Essex and Middlesex, being in Oz both times and a couple of away matches means the site has been a good way to keep up with stuff.
Farmer White, your daily reports deserve a wider audience, they are excellent, both informative and amusing. Many thanks.

Farmer White

If you like Justin Hayward, FW, then he is appearing in Sydney on the 18th or 19th of October I noticed today when walking through Sydney. You might need to meander a bit further afield to do that though! Having spent my childhood in the centre of the Blackdowns where you are now I’ve certainly meandered! Have a good winter!

Grockle (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 16:45
Don't have to do much.

The quality looks after itself and the odd bitteŕ old lag who thinks you have to watch for over half a century before you appreciate the true failures of SCCC are no real opposition for the people who understand change and the demands of the game in the 2ist century.

Time marches on and we'll be here for Year 24.

(Sm72)

geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 22:46
I was at school with Justin Hayward( 2 years below me)he used to do mini concerts in the school hall after lunch and was brilliant then.

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 10:39
Are tickets still available for the Sydney test? I suppose some day 4 ones if the game goes that far. Will look out for the Blackdowns flag on the tv

Farmer White (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 12:19
Still brilliant now Geordie and still has the voice. The Days of Future are not yet Past.

And saw Ralph McTell in Exeter on Sunday and the same applies. Not many can play ragtime on a guitar. Anyone go to school with him?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2017 12:23 by Farmer White.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 20:56
I didn't know Ralph was still touring. Did he sing Kew Gardens, FW?

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 21:08
I saw him live in Camberley a few months ago, very much still touring - great gig.

Farmer White (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 22:48
No Bobstan, no Kew Gardens but the ones that immediately spring to mind are 'From Clare to Here', 'Around the Wild Cape Horn', 'The Setting', 'Bentley and Craig', 'Streets of London' of course and that amazing piece of ragtime. The ninety minute set was over in the blink of an eye.

Angell Face (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 23:01
FW if you like ragtime guitar try Stefan Grossman. You can find a couple of examples of his playing on u tube.

Grockle (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 10:33
You didn't go to sleep did you FW - that makes events pass really quickly!! I find it works particularly well with slow boring movies.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 10:34 by Grockle.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 15:10
Thanks, FW.

Gosh the actual events of Bentley and Craig as reported in the Press seem so sharp in my memory. Why can I remember things from so long ago while struggling to recall what I did last week!

JuliaW (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 15:33
Ralph McTell's 'You Well-Meaning Brought Me Here' is one of my favourite albums ever. Some classics on there like The Ferryman, First and Last Man, In Some Way I Loved You ... and more.

Farmer White (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 18:12
Sorry not to reply earlier Grockle, been asleep. Although not in the R McT concert.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net