cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Member's lunch Q&A with Lee Cooper
RadstockRob (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 13:48
If anybody wants to see today's Members lunch Q&A with Lee Cooper which was shown live on the club Facebook Page

It can be viewed on Somerset facebook page.

Some very interesting points about ground improvements, recruitment, the future of county cricket and Arrowgate!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 17:00 by RadstockRob.

Re: Member's lunch Q&A with Lee Cooper
Scrumper (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 18:59
Lee says that we won't be not producing wickets that turn so much on the first day, instead they will be "good" cricket wickets.

Whether that means the ends will be the same as the rest of the wicket, we'll have to wait and see. Either that or not using used wickets (or both). Certainly raking will not be happening (if it did that is, I wasn't there on day 1 of Middlesex).

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 19:07
Some very interesting comments here:

[www.burnhamandhighbridgeweeklynews.co.uk]

"The proof in the pudding was Adam Hose scenario – his departure was our fault, not Adam’s. We had a 28-day notice period and we didn’t speak to him.

Simply astonishing.

Sounds like Taunton will be a very different type of pitch next year & spinning wickets will be far harder to come by.

Grizzzly

AGod (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 19:17
Well done, Maynard - asleep at the wheel. Really not surprised at all.

AGod (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 19:24
And I guess some now owe Adam Hose some form of apology?

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 19:30
The Adam Hose remark turned out to be exactly what I thought at the time.

AGod (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 19:31
Very pleased that Mr Cooper is stressing the need for more competitive friendlies but I don't feel that he should have automatically discounted the prospect of actual competitive cricket (assuming that's what the Bajun tournament that Maynard proposed was) - yeah, it might be a nice trip for players and wives etc but if the actual cricket were more competitive than what we'd get in friendlies here...

Let's face - it's improbable, in the extreme, that we start seasons slowly because we are insufficiently familiar with English conditions. Surely the problem is more likely to be that we lack intensity at the start due to playing soft opposition in pre-season.

Cooper's determination to find better pre-season opposition domestically is to be welcomed - but what if other CC1 sides refuse to play ball? Need a plan B, surely?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 19:45 by AGod.

AGod (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 19:32
I'm not surprised either, Mike - by the same token I never believed Maynard's assertion that it was all but impossible to find an overseas player either.

AGod (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 19:43
Re: the pitches... no more bunsens per LC ... so what are we going to do?

We must NOT go back to the old tracks that helped the pacemen early, then flattened given that the oppo could put our dodgy batting line-up in to bat on it every time. Those used to be the dominant type of pitch in Taunton.

The other type we sometimes saw was the 'shirtfront from the start,' on which winning games was fiendishly tough. Those won't help us either.

So...I think Simon Lee and co have an interesting winter ahead of them..

Viz the pitch - I appreciate the risks of a deduction but it also sounds a little, to me, as though our batsmen may have got in James Taylor's ear and moaned about our pitches...frankly I care about winning matches, not about the egos of our batsmen!

I do take Mr Cooper's point viz recruitment of batsmen but, if come December, we've not managed to add any new batsmen then might there be a re-think?

AGod (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 19:48
Mr Cooper's comments arguably imply that there WAS unrest in the squad, albeit that this was based on deep reservations about the structure rather than personality based.

So, perhaps, Rodders should join Mr Hose in being the recipient of an apology from some?

Slow Left Chinaman (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 19:51
He also specifically said there was no unrest, unlike the rumours that "we'd all heard".

Obviously he's not going to come out and say everyone hates each other, but if you're reading things into what he said, that could be a starting point.

Grockle (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 20:00
Not sure I like the idea of telling stories about the hired help when the hired help isn't there to give the other side. It is probably the way it was but why do we need to know that? Just do it different.

Also don't see why there should be an apology to Adam Hose. He's a big boy and made his own decision. Whether he was talked to or not about staying the moment Warks was talking to him, he was talking to them during the season and decided to go there.

Good for him, let him prove his worth before we see that as an absolute loss. He was coming on but I'm not sure about his commitment to Taunton - no one has given me that bit yet.

(Sm72)

Slow Left Chinaman (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 20:02
Given the evident anger/disappointment from Maynard, it's likely that there's a bit of both. Perhaps we didn't make a firm offer to him in those 28 days, but had made it clear that he was part of our plans.

Grockle (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 20:08
We'll never know will we?

The AG intensive scenarios being manufactured at this very moment will not look at the 'possibly I'm being unfair to Maynard' hypothetical.

As you say SLC 6 of one and half a dozen of the other - as I say I'm not sure what the point of bringing it up is.

It is all done, move on and do your new stuff and let us rate you on what you do, not the stories you tell us of what the other bloke didn't do.

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 21:50
With having Lee Cooper has our CEO he doesn't have to keep on the good side of MCC or the ECB because he wont be looking for a job in that direction, he made that quite clear. (he is not using Somerset has a stepping stone to go onto another job in cricket)

AGod (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 22:17
Yes - that's a great thing, Mike.

Grockle, isn't it clear that Mr Cooper brought up the Hose situation as an example of the folly of having one man do the jobs of DoC, HC, two years as batting coach, bus driver etc etc?

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 05:03
Thanks for the heads up Rob.

Here is the full talk by LC:

[www.facebook.com]

Grizzzly

Grockle (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 07:29
I don't think so AG. No need to do that. Just change the system to one you want and let the results speak for themselves.

Semi blaming a man who isn't there to defend himself simply leaves a bad taste and lets you speculate and hypothesise yourself to death.

I'm not particularly interested in what happened beteeen SCCC, MM and Hose. I'm more interested in how we fill the gaps and come back stronger in 2018.

What Jos does at Lancs, Compo does at Lord's or Hose does at Edgbaston is irrelevant to Somerset unless its against us.

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 08:29
But in life, Grockle, when a change is made there are very often people who want to know why - and who want some form of evidence rather than just an opinion - after all, there are many people in life who are naturally averse to change in any form.

I'm not sure that "I can't give you evidence that the new system is better but the proof will be in the pudding, wait until this time next year and let's talk about it then," would be an entirely adequate response to anybody wondering about why the change of structure is necessary?

Note: Even if nobody from the floor directly asked this question, it is far from unreasonable for Lee Cooper to assume that some members might want good reasons for the change.. and the fact that the session was published on FB means that the intended audience for Mr Cooper's words was not confined to those in attendance anyway.

AGod (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 08:35
I'm not quite sure what the point of the 'analysis,' that the club had done which showed that if Tom, MT, JH and Steve D has each made an extra 350 runs in 14 matches, we'd have won the CC.... er, well.. except that they probably cannot do so unless the tracks are more favourable for batting and if they're less favourable for bowling then.......obviously this piece of analysis falls down.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net