cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Andy Nash to retire as Chairman at 2018 AGM
Farmer White (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 11:24
The official statement:

[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

Re: Andy Nash to retire as Chairman at 2018 AGM
AGod (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 12:06
Whoever wrote that has a slightly short memory if they think that 2016 is the closest that we have come to winning CC1. After all, we certainly didn't finish level on points, but second, in 2016 as we had done six years earlier.

I wonder if Mr Nash is set for a more senior role at the ECB? If not the cricketing one, then perhaps the banking one, given his apparent disdain for Brexit.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 12:21
I would like to thank Andy Nash for all he has done for Somerset since being chairman, somebody told me the other day that Andy has done a lot for Somerset behind the scenes that we don't hear about.

I wish you all the best for the future in what ever you decide to do.

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 12:38
I also would like to thank Andy Nash for his 10 year term of Chairmanship, its always a difficult job to please all, but he has overseen and dealt with many changes and challenges during his term of office, I think he has (in the main) handled them well.
The club undoubtedly is in a better position now than at the start of his term.

I wish him well, and I am sure his name will continue to pop up in cricketing circles, along with his business connections.

AGod (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 13:50
On Mr Nash's Twitter feed there is a nice video of all 51 wickets that Jack took last season.

Wickham (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 14:04
I should like to associate myself with the sentiments expressed by Mike and Roger.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 15:01
Ditto. Thank you 57deacon. Enjoyed many of your posts re Brexit also!

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 16:31
Yep. Well done Andy.

Hopefully you can bring some West Country common sense to the ECB !

Grizzzly

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 16:43
My informant was spot on when he told me of Andy Nash's impending stepping down as Club Chairman, and indeed who his replacement would be (Refer to membership thread).

Obviously the club rules state that a Chairman can be elected by the club committee, whereas the Club President has to be voted upon by the members at the club's AGM.

Whilst a new Chairman does not have to be a member of the committee at the time of election (Giles Clarke most certainly was not) I do find it odd that he / she can simply be nodded through on the approval of the committee.

I am sure that Mr. Charles Clark will do a good job, as a lot of good work has already been done in the years leading up to the present time.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

AGod (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 21:20
I take it this isn't Charles Clarke as in 'The F.A. cup,' then!?

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 22:34
I'm a bit disappointed someone didn't title this thread #Nexit

Farmer White (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 23:15
I disagreed with Andy Nash on his decision to vote in favour of the City based T20 competition and in particular to vote for it being the only option to be considered in detail. There should have been full consideration of a County based competiton in my view. No need to go into the arguments on either side again. They have been gone through ad infinitum and time will tell whether he was right.

And of course we didn't win the Championship. But then under which Chairman did we? And there have been rather a lot since 1891. We always want better but we have never had better than these last ten years in the Championship.

Beyond that:

Ten years implementing state of the art developments in every quarter of the ground.

Ten years with a squad strong enough to keep the Club in Division 1, twice as long as any other existing Div 1 County.

Ten years working towards a ground that has now achieved International status whilst remaining a cricket ground capable of producing the atmosphere we experienced on the defeat of Middlesex. A ground not a stadium. How many Gimblett's Hills are there at other International grounds?

Ten years achieving all that whilst keeping the Club permanently in profit.

Ten years developing a financial base and ground facilities sufficient to hand on to his successor a foundation from where he can concentrate on focusing the Club on the cricket.

Ten years of endless optimism in spite of three of Somerset's four second places in the Championship (the fourth was under Richard Parson's Chairmanship).

Not a bad effort!

Ten years well spent.

And perhaps a solid foundation built from which the Club can focus all it's energies on the cricket and from which the Championship can be won while sufficient focus can be still be trained on it.

Andy,

You have given the credit to others in your statement and others have played a huge role in all this. It is the person at the top though who sets the direction, provides the impetus and maintains the drive to see a transformation on the scale that Somerset CCC has seen in your decade in the Chair.

You might not quite have taken the Club to the Promised Land but you might just have built the bridge that makes it possible to get there.

Next year....

geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
20 October, 2017 06:39
Amen to that Farmer. I remember a splendid conversation with Andy Nash over lunch (with the plebs) at New Road when Compton was battling towards his 1000 runs. Wish him all the best.

Grockle (IP Logged)
20 October, 2017 07:51
He has certainly been an approachable Chairman and a vast improvement on his predecessor.

I agree with FW regarding the vote. There was a time when a seeming obsession with Taunton as an international venue tended to put other more immediate things in the shadow.

However, there has been support for us as a site on more than one ocassion and a positive appreciation of Grockles in the Somerset world.

Andy has been an active member of the posting population on screen and off and we should all appreciate that. His contribution to our understanding of things going on has been bigger than many know and I personallythank him for that.

We haven't always agreed and sometimes we have been exasperated but Mr Nash has never taken offence and has many times come here to clarify when he didn't need to. He has accepted comment good and bad, has always been willing to chat, has always valued our presence, has always been open.

I doubt 'retirement' from Taunton means retirement and I think we shall see him again. Let's hope his successor is as accessible. Good luck in the next step Deacon and keep in touch.

(Sm72)

Wickham (IP Logged)
20 October, 2017 08:31
Well said, FW - and I particularly agree with your comment, towards the end, about the person at the top.

On a frivolous note - Baggers: building on your suggestion for the title of this thread, do you have any suggestion for our Middlesex friends about the title they should use when James Fuller leaves them?

AGod (IP Logged)
20 October, 2017 08:48
Fulling empty?

Wickham (IP Logged)
20 October, 2017 19:05
That would be a Bowdlerised version, AG.

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
21 October, 2017 14:49
Some well considered words above, the one that has stuck in my mind is Legacy, actually used by Grockle somewhere else.

Often a great person can achieve many great things, but are only remembered for one catastrophic decision. Let's say, Tony Blair (and I don't wish to make a political point in any direction) and many will answer rightly or wrongly - Iraq. 4 letters to sum up 10 years in power. Similar examples can be made for other people.

In the same way, Andy Nash - T20 vote. Time will tell his real legacy

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
21 October, 2017 16:08
Cameron was not the worst PM we ever had, even if I never cast a vote for him, but he will only be remembered for one catastrophic decision.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Grockle (IP Logged)
21 October, 2017 17:11
Actually made the same point today with regard to the Engell article on the membership thread SLLL.

(Sm72)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net