cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Monday Fun and Frolics
Grockles.com (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 14:39
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2017 10:31 by Grockle.

Re: Monday Fun and Frolics
wsm fan (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 15:07
There will definitely be no refunds for T20 membership rained off games. So your £195 premium category should be for 7 games (avg £28) but quite easily be for 6 games (avg £33) or even 5 games (avg £39)

Lifers im told have been reserved Gimbletts Hill.
Unsure if they can chose an alternative area for free or at increased premium.

Unsure how we can presell Botham or Lower new pavilion unless the sidescreen will be unmoved for all 7 games.

Is there really no way of guaranteeing an uninterupted view of the match from beerswillers apart from maybe ondatje non alcohol stand (if stewarded properly)

Certainly lots of questions still.....

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 15:12
Unsure how we can presell Botham or Lower new pavilion unless the sightscreen will be unmoved for all 7 games.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that, I am sure the club have. (TIC)

cricketharris (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 15:53
Surely there are the same number of seats in the sightscreen stands whether the screens are on one side or the other. So if there are, say, 10 seats in a row they can be numbered 1- 10 wherever they are in the row. Stop trying to be clever and query every damn thing.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 16:09
My impression of the T20 matches in 2017 was that although they all 'sold out' the process took much longer than for previous seasons. This may have been down to several factors - the main ones being reverting to a T20 block with home matches bunched over a short period, and only one of the home games being a Friday evening (and that the Gloucestershire one which, to be fair, would probably sell out if it was played on a Tuesday morning in December). Other factors may have been Somerset's below par performances in previous seasons, and certainly the choice of overseas players - I won't go into the cricketing reasons for/against Elgar and Anderson; that's been done to death already on these boards, but they hardly had the Gayle factor when it comes to putting bums on seats.To be fair few potential overseas players will do this. Maybe they have Virat Kohli lined up for 2018!

However, sold out they were and spaces were still evident so I understand the Club trying to find a way to ensure a sell out means a full house. The T20 international offered an opportunity for them to find out how to manage the ground when it was genuinely full and that knowledge will be put to use managing T20 crowds. I just hope they aren't shooting themselves in the foot though, as one of the USPs of Taunton as a venue, even on a once-a-season basis, for the upcoming Big Dosh League, is that it can attract big crowds. With the decision as to host counties likely to be taken shortly they don't want to lose this reputation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/10/2017 16:10 by Bagpuss.

wsm fan (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 16:11
No there arent the same number of seats at all.
The left section is half as deep rows wise than the middle or right sections so a definite problem if the sidescreen moves one side or other.

Querying things i think is exactly what tomorrow is for isnt it?
Mr Cooper will hope to satisfactorily answer all queries raised. If he cant members have the choice to not be happy & join or not then as a result.

Grockle (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 16:58
Weren't you moaning about people being spikey a few days ago CH? Calm down yourself and let people have a bit of a chunter.

It's not like there's anything else going on at the moment. Well England have gone to Oz I suppose.

(Sm72)

Farmer White (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 14:50
For anyone interested I have posted a resume of membership charges across all categories across the country on the membership packages thread. Essentially Championship membership is comparable. T20 or any membership involving it is considerably more expensive.

Scrumper (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 18:58
Does anyone know if this will be live on Facebook?

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 20:25
Very quiet on the 'fun and frolics' front ?!

Grizzzly

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 20:50
Eye of the hurricane.

If only Somerset were batting, AGod would have already posted 40 times

nelliec (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 21:54
Meeting tonight just as expected.Mr Cooper justifying every thing from a financial point of view.Only climb down will be on junior membership prices.A lot of what was said made good business sense,although still difficult to know where the figures related to anticipated loss of membership and selling out T20 come from.
Biggest issue was the reserved seating ,with no flexibility to sit with family or friends.His reply was"name me a professional sport or stadium where you can do that".
Approx 500 there tonight.

nelliec (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 22:14
Also made the point that 20% of platinum members went to only 1 or no T20 matches.
Also T20 is a supply and demand business.He used Notts as an example whereby they can't fill the ground at £10 a ticket,so why charge them more.
Did not give a gate price for T20,only saying it will be more than last year.

wsm fan (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 23:47
Mr Cooper spoke very well yet again.

Basic message is our costs have gone up.
If we want to attempt to compete and for top players it needs paying for.

Platinums & joints have been hit financially but many will see a reduction (depends what cricket you watch and where you wish to sit)

He is adament this is the right thing to do despite making himself unpopular with an element of the existing membership. Fully happy to hold his hands up.in 12 months if he has got it wrong too

Credit to him for fronting up tonight. He knew he would get grilled and he did. He didnt have to put on this Q&A.

I'm not convinced it will operationally work better at all. I guess we have to trust him when it comes to the numbers and his expectations of the changes.

4200 platinums last year was quoted out of a membership of 6500, think i have got those numbers correct?

In Lee we trust i guess.....

Scrumper (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 00:31
He's made his bed.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 06:01
Not been mentioned on here the one telling comment from LC for me was that (not exact words) if were not for the Eng v SA T20I and the WWC Somerset would have made a loss this year. This despite "selling out" all 7 home T20 Blast matches.

Ronniesabre (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 06:20
Maybe we couldn’t afford hose then. And if same happens with. Bess , Gregory etc then there till me an outcry . Can’t hsve it all ways I suppose . Need money to keep these guys.

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 08:39
Somerset profit before tax in 2016, £600,000 from accounts. Lee Cooper is in financial services so knows these numbers backwards. What has changed this year? I am confused

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 09:06
I for one can't wait for the accounts for this year, I hope they are clear enough to see why we would have had a loss without the International and the Women's World Cup.

It is almost unbelievable after so many years of making a profit of 200k,300k any even 400k we suddenly turn that into a loss.

From the 2016 accounts
A surplus of £596,700 before taxation compared with a surplus of £3330,389 for 2015.

I could understand a drop in operating profits because of wages etc. but to turn last years figures into a loss is almost unbelievable, where has it gone wrong?

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 09:26
I did wonder if Lee Cooper comment on the probably loss was on the cricket side of the club, and not the club as a whole, as in the past the Catering side has for some years contributed good profits

I would not like to think that the Catering/Event and Rental income is subsidising the Cricket side, and if this were to be the case we have to accept these changes or lose Cricket at Taunton as some point in the not to distant future.

I admire Lee Cooper for calling the meeting last night and answering questions and concerns from members, not sure we would have been given the same opportunity or insight from our previous chief executive.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net