cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the New Year

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Monday Fun and Frolics
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 09:37
I agree Roger, even though there were hostility at time towards some of he comments, that was why he was clapped at the end of the meeting.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 09:48
Confirmed at the Q&A that the Gimblett's Hill is for Life for the T20, I might even start going again. I wonder how that is going to be stewarded, there could be a lot of empty seats on the hill if not many Life Members turn-up.

I enquired about the Life Membership and I was told they couldn't take anything away from existing LM's, it seems that the new LM's will be the same as the new club membership, I could be wrong but that was the impression I got.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 09:49
We also had a home quarter final this year which whilst it wasn't a sell out I would have thought (with hospitality, catering etc) should have made over £50K. And Somerset should've received a share of the Trent Bridge T20 quarter final

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 09:53
I don't think they can police it that strictly Mike as GH is effectively a corridor; unless they put barriers along the front walkway and steward the gaps up to the benches.

31 October, 2017 09:54
Paying off the rest of Maynard's contract might be enough to have turned a profit into a loss.

Only a guess. But it would explain Maynard's otherwise slightly puzzling expressions of intense satisfaction about the decision.

Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 10:46
Mike, so will they be giving all existing Life members a separate exit via the Churchyard. 😁😁

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 11:04
Quote - I did wonder if Lee Cooper comment on the probably loss was on the cricket side of the club, and not the club as a whole, as in the past the Catering side has for some years contributed good profits

Is anybody on here clever enough if it is at all possible to work out from last years accounts if we made a profit from the cricketing side last year?

Lee did surmise (if that's the correct word) that something should have been done before now (previous years) to sort this out.

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 13:09
Catering made £355,705 surplus so still a profit last year without it

AGod (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 14:09
As I understand it pending expenditure is sometimes accounted for in the year in which a decision to expend said money is made, not in the accounting year in which the money has actually been expended. Therefore, it could be that we've put the expenditure on the floodlights into this year's accounts.

Following on (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 14:22
That would only happen if there is a legally binding contract in place. Also, floodlights would be a capital item added to fixed assets on the balance sheet, not a cost charged through the profit and loss account.

Grockle (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 14:24
Yep even the money situation is MM's fault!!

It will be interesting to see the figures. Just remember that a financial expert can understand the figures but can also make them say what he wants them to.

As he says he will stand by it this time next year. We had better have a good season or he may have to.

£33 on the gate for a T20 is a lot of money.

(Sm72)

31 October, 2017 14:25
"And AGod said, Let there be accounting for floodlights: and there was light"

Couldn't resist that one

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 17:50
"Approx 500 there tonight."

That is a very high turnout, in fact many more than the attendances at the club's AGM, and this of course was without every member being personally notified of said meeting.

Perhaps the natives are restless. If Mr Cooper believes that his sole object is to make as much profit as possible for the club at the expense of members' rights, then I anticipate he is in for a bumpy ride.

I will reserve judgement until I have witnessed him at first hand.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Grockle (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 02:18
Well I suppose we must be grateful for small mercies if that is to be the case Tom.... usually you know someone you talked to who can tell you the 'complete factual' story of how things are without that level of reserve.

You are probably right about Mr Cooper if that is his objective. Profit maximisation is a theotetical economic objective but it is without ethical or moral concerns and won't work too well in a market including supporters of a sports club. They don't react well to an unemotional approach lacking empathy.

Seems we'll both wait and see though.

(Sm72)

01 November, 2017 08:32
This is the important bit, the owners of the club are the members in equal proportions.

Lee Cooper is appointed to serve the interests of the members. He is not acting to maximise the profit for anonymous groups of shareholders, which could be faceless business funds in far off places. These shareholders would own the business in unequal proportions and lever their financial interests accordingly.

No, as a member one Somerset supporter wherever they live is just as important as any other however wealthy or not they may be. Every part of the club and its long history, as to where it has got today, is equally owned. Look around at the county ground and how Craig has got to Australia. Long may it continue

Old Boy! (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 17:36
I plead guilty to being one who doesn't appreciate the apparent joys of T20 (or as we used to call it back in the 40s and 50s - tip and run!!. But even with my dislike of the concept, I could be tempted more if the joker who does the DJing could be limited to no more than 10 seconds every ten minutes AND CERTAINLY BANNED FROM PLAYING MUSIC UP until the bowler releases the ball. The justification for the music is to attract the kids. It seems to me most of them couldn't care less about the cricket and spend most of their time playing behind the stands.
Old Boy! LIFE MEMBER SINCE 1999.

Grockle (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 18:17
If they want to use the music to attract the kids they need to update their playlist by about 25 years!!

(Sm72)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net