cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

57deacon
Re: Is it all new? Welcome to 2018
57deacon (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 10:22
A very Happy New Year to you all.

Two things if I may:

1. I step down at the AGM on 22/1 this year so just over two weeks left!

2. History will rightly be the judge but the facts must be established and on the record. The Club’s General Committee unanimously voted to support the new T20 competition after a lengthy debate across the game and having received and reflected upon a comprehensive written paper from CEO Guy Lavender and myself. Our paper set out the background, pros and cons and other rationale but given the strategic importance of the issue deliberately did NOT make a recommendation to the GC. Contrary to the perception of some the Club’s GC is comprised of many professional, well meaning and very independent folk who are more than capable of making their own decisions! As the Member of the ECB for Somerset County Cricket Club (there are 19 of us representing the FCCs and MCC) I consequently voted in accordance with the General Committee’s decision which to my mind is exactly as the process should be.

I look forward to seeing those who can make it at the AGM.

Onwards.
Cheers, Andy

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 11:54
Thanks Deacon for the confirmation. I'm a confused old man!! Enjoy your last fortnight and good luck in your future endeavours.

Management were always between a rock and a hard place. You know that I personally believe you were manipulated by the central powers and eventually had no real influence over the final decision (it was never going to be anything but approval IMO).

People on here are divided as I said in the summary. You have always been willing to come and explain the reasoning behind decisions and Grockles appreciates that candour.

Committee versus Fanbase is always going to be a debate and history will be the only judge. All we can do is state our positions clearly for that post analysis and we thank you for always being willing to come and put that here. It is something Somerset have been willing to do since we started.

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 12:23
As for the other 'debate'

We are a cricket site. Debate the cricket by all means.

'Snide' and 'Derogatory' posts about the cricket environment can usually be dealt with on site by just referring to the actual facts.

Other posts can be designed to provoke posters and are not related to the cricket environment but have that objective only. Should they be referred than they will probably go or be 'adapted' and in some cases when it is regular or constant I may step in unilaterally.

I'm happy for an anti 'derogatory' debate about cricket situations to be discussed. Sometimes the 'snideness' gets too personal and then the debate will have to go off site if people can't control themselves.

Discuss a topic and stay on it and there is no real problem disagreements about how things are seen are pretty much inevitable . But discuss each other and nothing else and we may see things moving to PM as in this case.

Grockles is not some kind of internet etiquette debate forum, especially if the agenda is to use that topic to further provoke people who are here to talk about cricket.

I'm the arbiter and if you can't sort it out then I will do it for you ladies and gentlemen.

(Sm72)

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 12:31
"It is something Somerset have been willing to do since we started."

Really? Was Giles Clarke as obliging as Andy Nash has been to the Grockles site. I recall he ruffled many a feather on here as well as within the club itself.

But then he did climb to the top of the E C B didn't he?

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 13:33
Yes Tom surprisingly he used this site as did Peter Anderson before him eventually. I'm not sure he was 'as obliging' as Andy but like Richard Gould they do see the value of such things in the grand scheme.

We were just a step up Giles' ladder I think.

(Sm72)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net