cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 3 of 38

chunkyinargyll
Re: 2018 SOMERSET RELATED NEWS
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 17:34
IMPORTANT.

I've removed the youtube link I provided at 9.01, because I have a feeling it might have had a virus attached.

It may be pure coincidence, but since doing that link I now can't get any vision on BBC iplayer, or any other youtube links.

Sorry if anyone clicked,and is similarly affected. If so, let me know, because at least it will confirm that is what caused the problem.

Edit to add- Just gone into my Norton Security history, and it has an orange circle (for medium risk) against 3 updates it did yesterday, so it looks like the fault might not be the youtube link after all, but the so called 'security' updates that might have messed up my PC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2018 17:59 by chunkyinargyll.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 10:31
They are erecting the marquee on the outfield today for the players to practice under cover.

I hope the outfield doesn't get damaged, it is very soggy with all the rain we have had.

Following on
Following on (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 12:48
Thanks for the updates Mike, it's great to know what is happening at HQ.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 16:15
At a quiet time on here rumours that T20 is turning cricket into baseball prove to be wide of the mark:

[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

sfwithers
sfwithers (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 17:45
Very good, Farmer White.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:33
The club made a thing about Kate Steward joining the club from Coopers as the “new Membership and Ticketing Executive” [www.somersetcountycc.co.uk] that didn't last long she is nowhere to be seen on the clubs website. [www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

The club is advertising for a Commercial Sales & Support Executive: Brian Lee has been doing that job.

So is she gone already and the staff has had a game of musical chair in the office?

Sarah Trunks had a well deserved promotion to Head of Marketing & Communications a while ago.

As somebody said there isn't much happening at this moment, except it looks like the ground is marked out for the position of the New Scoreboard.

Roger ivanhoe
Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:51
So has Brian Lee left the club (again) Mike.?

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 16:37
A good question, I don't know unless he has been given another job.

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 18:39
Is the 'Bars Manager' another member of the Cooper family dynasty?

Also, last year Guy Wolfenden returned to the club after short - lived periods at both Warwickshire CCC and Exeter City FC as the Corporate Relationship Manager.

One can only believe that they know what they are doing.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 19:21
Yes Guy was back towards the end of last season and seemed pretty happy to be so. As was reported here "Jez" Curwin(I think ?) was off to a new job in NZ

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2018 19:23 by Grockle.

Roger ivanhoe
05 February, 2018 21:41
Paul Cooper (Bar Manager) is NOT related to the club C.E.O. Clarence. He came to the Club last season in the position of an Event Manager, seems he has been given a new role.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 23:34
Mike- our posh new tent?
Is there any wayba match could take place on the remainder of ground to Caddy Pavilion side or just not enough room?
6 weeks today we will have played our first home friendly & not sure we start using tent until next week or week after so could be a brief stay?

Where abouts is scoreboard being positioned too?
Same as last years temporary or nearer its original?

Are we to assume that whole area remains stand-less this season in the main apart from a T20 temporary?

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 09:00
The marquee is on a net pitch on the flats side, to play a match I would think a net pitch on the other would have to be used.
My understanding is that the marquee will be used into March, how long into March I don't know.

The scoreboards temporary position last season was in front of the steps to the CA Pavilion, it looks like by the floor markings that the new position is to the side of the steps to avoid any pipes or cables under the ground.

These things could change even from what I heard a few weeks ago, I was told a temporary stand will be put there this season and a permanent stand next winter. What form this permanent stand will take is not clear, could it be a two tired stand to hold about three thousand and incorporating a replacement for the Caddy Shack. (That's what I would like to see).

Time will tell.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 11:04
I doubt the Caddyshack is scheduled for remodelling yet. It would be a strange time to plan anything major given the changes in 2020 and the relative uncertainty concerning the amount of use the ground will get from then on.

(Sm72)

cricketharris
cricketharris (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 13:56
The tent is about a 100 yards long and 20 or so wide and takes up a large part of the ground! There are four industrial size dryers in it at the moment as the grass seems reluctant to dry-out. The tent has perspex sides so all is revealed from the outside. No action yet though.
It looks like the electricity substation is being moved from its position where the old scoreboard used to be which would enable a bigger and better temporary/permanent stand.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 14:30
Does this mean we are preparing for the season with intent or within tent?

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 15:20
Not the in tent but will be a right champ site, suppose we're roped into it. Hope it won't be two tents

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 15:36
Cricketharris, I am not sure that building with all SKY's fibre optic cables in it is being moved, they have added an extra metal cabinet on the outside. For the last two day's workmen have been digging a cable trench from it to outside the ground, I am told it for a Vodafone cable, possibly for Wi-Fi around the ground.

cricketharris
cricketharris (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 15:44
Oh, I see, Mike. I surmised wrongly. Shame they can’t move the damn thing though. Damned Sky again cluttering up the place.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 16:12
Well old man Fulton is on the Sky Sports News Desk out here in the Middle East. Does that means he won't be around Taunton for them next summer?

(Sm72)

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 14:02
The commercial people at the club don't miss a trick do they?

Within the last week we have had both a funeral and a wedding take place at the County Ground according to the club's website.

As far as BMD's are concerned, I just hope they do not initiate a maternity unit on site. Cricket? What has that to do with anything?

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Roger ivanhoe
07 February, 2018 14:22
Tom, I am not sure the Funeral of Mike Coggin was an opportunity for the Club to profit, but more an opportunity to pay respect to a very long standing club supporter who over the years helped raise a lot of money for the club.

However that said personally I welcome the ground being utilized in the close season for as many functions as possible. As has been pointed out many times, the club will not survive on Cricket Income alone.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 14:46
Wait until the "Vitality" Blast starts!!

Looking at the tweets and stuff I think the funeral was a particularly special event for those involved, A well respected and popular member of the SCCC family given a particular 'cricket' sendoff.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 14:48 by Grockle.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 14:56
What a great place for a funeral! Can I book a place now? I'll confirm the date a little nearer the time. (It will, of course, after we have won the champtionship, so may involve some hanging around)

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 18:26
Roger, I did know that about Mike Coggan and perhaps it was a little disrespectful of me to mention it in the way I did. So apologies if it caused any hurt or offence.

Mike was certainly a passionate follower of the club and with his wife travelled extensively to watch them. I always had a pleasant word with him whenever we bumped into each other, even if I sometimes resisted his attempts to rid me of some of my money for a club jackpot or player's benefit. Many, many years ago I played cricket against him somewhere on the Quantocks. Was it Lydeard St. Lawrence or Fitzhead? I can't remember.

May he RIP.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 22:00
I attended Mike Coggin’s funeral. It will remain long in the memory. I doubt the memory will ever go. For anyone who was not at the funeral and would like to know a bit more about the day here is how I experienced it:

I knew it would be something special as I walked through Goodland Gardens. I wasn’t the only one walking with a purpose. As I reached the bridge and crossed the road towards St James’ Street I saw a sight I have not seen before. Among the usual mix of people going about their business were numbers of suited men and smartly dressed women all walking with a similar purpose. Some followed on from behind me, others from along North Street and more still from the Station Road direction. Others were already walking along St James’ Street with that same earnest purpose. All slightly bent into their walk for all the world like the crowd heading for Burnden Park in L.S. Lowry’s ‘Going to the Match’. I will never think of that great painting again without remembering that day.

I caught up with a man who turned to me and said, “It’s like it all over the town centre. You don’t have to ask where they are all going do you?” He didn’t say who “they” were or where they were going. He didn’t need to. Neither did either of us need to ask where the other was going. We just walked together in silence to the ground. There the people who had come past the church joined the ones who had come from Canon Street and we formed one group who passed through the ground past the Caddick Pavilion to see others coming through the Priory Bridge Road gate.

It was clear to me by this time I would be standing for the ceremony and I was, I and about 150 or more others squeezed in at the back of the scoreboard end of the County Room and along the windows. Another 250 were seated.

The coffin was carried up the Colin Atkinson Pavilion terrace opposite the bar and into the room to the strains of the Test Match Special theme. The pall bearers were Marcus Trescothick, James Hildreth, Peter Trego, Andy Caddick, Keith Parsons and Rob Turner. As far as I could tell every other current squad player who was in the country lined the wall opposite the windows. Members of the Club staff were in attendance including Lee Cooper who stood in the crush at the back with the rest of us.

The ceremony started on the stroke of eleven when at another time of the year the umpires might have called “Play”. A pint of cider was placed on the coffin for the duration of the service. The weather outside, at least from behind glass, looked perfect for batting. There were tributes from two friends. Richard Parsons paid a short finely judged tribute and the Club Chaplain read one on behalf of the family.

I can recall a time when I did not know Mike Coggin. I can recall the time when I did. I cannot quite recall how or when the one turned into the other. What I am fairly sure of is it would have started with him ‘pulling my leg’. I would have responded in kind and the joust would have been underway. I cannot recall who most often had the last word but I don’t remember it ever having been me. I can also say I am a richer man spiritually from having known him and a poorer one financially for having not avoided him when he was collecting for some cause or other. I have a Somerset tie I have owned for over forty years and when I wear a Somerset tie I wear no other. Whatever possessed me to buy a James Hildreth benefit tie from Mike Coggin I will never know.

The ceremony was a warm and gentle event that was Somerset through and through. I doubt any of us who knew Mike Coggin, and I only knew him through Somerset cricket and only at the cricket, could quite believe he would soon be leaving the ground for the last time. As the ceremony ended I saw someone who posts on here and with whom I talk much at the cricket. We spoke but briefly as we walked outside for nothing really needed to be said and we were both deep in thought for a giant of Somerset cricket had just ended his innings.

The pall bearers carried the coffin back through the doors and down the terrace this time to the singing of ‘Blackbird’’. The hearse waited just beyond the boundary edge. It slowly made its way from the ground through a guard of honour of the pall bearers and the first team squad holding bats aloft in salute and to applause from the 400 mourners which continued undiminished until Mike Coggin had left the ground. Players who come to Somerset often remark the Club feels like a family. On this day you knew what they meant.

The first day of the season will not feel quite the same this year but Mike Coggin will be there in the minds of those whose cricket watching days he blessed with that impish smile, warm welcome and gentle disarming pull of the leg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2018 18:15 by Farmer White.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 04:04
Many tweeted tributes occured on the day and I particularly liked the guard of honour with the bats either on Mike's arrival or departure.

Nice to see a local club getting involved to such a level and a fitting tribute to a man who seemingly lived for the game and the county. He would have loved every munute of it.

(Sm72)

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 08:26
I hope to see Mary, Mike's wife today at the members lunch to offer my sadness at her lose.

I believe it was Mary's idea to have these members lunches, and they have been a great success.
The last I heard 74 members have booked a place for today's lunch.

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 19:16
That was a very fine tribute paid to Mike Coggin by you, Farmer White - a tribute richly deserved.

I have seen video clips and photographs of the main points that Farmer made, but as Mike left the ground for the last time I saw that there was a flag draped over his coffin. It would have been appropriate for it to have been Somerset's official flag, but I was unsure as to whether it was.

As others have said, may he RIP.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 17:12
Sadly, I don't get to the county ground as often as I would like and I am unable to recall Mike Coggin, though I probably saw him on a number of occasions. It seems that he got the fine send-off that he clearly deserved and I feel pride that our county club, through the involvement of its players and officials, demonstrated all that is best about it on the day of the funeral.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Current Page: 3 of 38

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net