cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 15
MESSAGES->author
2018 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
Grockle (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 09:01
New Year. New Thread.

For other county, international or general cricket info.

(Sm72)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 24/06/2018 07:40 by Grockle.

cricketjerry-mouse
Re: 2018 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 14:21
Hampshire may be looking for a new captain this summer.

Former Aussie One-day skipper George Bailey, who not only led them in 2017 but was top Hampshire scorer in most formats, is suffering from back problems and says at 35 he no longer has the energy to meet the demands of an English county season.

He is under a two-year contract, though, and Hampshire are keen for him to return - so it is all in the melting pot.

Following on
2018 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
Following on (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 14:26
"Buy" Sam Northeast - end of problem!

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
27 January, 2018 13:14
Day 1 IPL done.
Stokes Jos Woakes Archer Moeen & Roy picked up on day 1.
So currently likes of Morgan Root Hales Wood Billings Plunkett Johnny Helm Gurney Samit & Malan all not yet got a gig.....

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 14:26
I see the three most expensive England cricketers at the opening IPL cattle auction are all from the Second Division - Ben Stokes ($1.95m), Chris Woakes ($1.15m) and Sussex`s Jofra Archer (1.125m).

Out of Somerset`s first four county championship opponents, only Moeen Ali and Jos Buttler have been bought and will be unavailable, although that could change if Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow are more successful in the second tranche of bids.

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 14:52
It shows how closely I keep up with the county scene these days that I was unaware of Archer before the IPL auction.

I was slightly surprised that Jeffrey Archer had been chosen, but my lightning-quick brain soon realised that his reverse sweep wasn't good enough for the IPL and that it was some other Archer.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 15:21
Jeffrey Archer's sweep is better described as underhand rather than reverse...

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 20:21
White lipped warhorse Peter Siddle has signed for Essex's early CC games, so we will avoid him.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 10:32
England cricketer Ben Stokes pleads not guilty to affray.

On the BBC news site.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 12:11
That means he will be tried at Bristol Crown Court at some future date. He has to attend a preliminary hearing at Crown Court on 12th March and maybe on that day a date for the trial will be set.

I think it will be difficult for him to resume a full England career until the Crown Court trial is over, though he may appear in some one-day matches before then.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

RRANDREWS
Old Boy! (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:44
Quote:
Loyal of Lhasa
Jeffrey Archer's sweep is better described as underhand rather than reverse...

A bit unfair on "Gentleman" Jeffrey LOL - after all, we all assume that it was Mary who knew where the "bodies" were buried, and "Gentleman" Jeffrey did the time!! Allegedly!

Old Boy!

RRANDREWS
Old Boy! (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:51
Quote:
Mike TA1
England cricketer Ben Stokes pleads not guilty to affray.
On the BBC news site.

I thought when it was first reported Stokes and one or two others were, allegedly, defending a couple of blokes from a homophobic attack. I reckon he may well be found not guilty!

Old Boy!

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 01:16
Don't think the law works like that.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 15:33
Whether he's found guilty or not of whatever, the footage of the incident shown on TV at the time tells me that he is guilty of behaviour unbecoming if nothing else.

England do not have to pick him again ever and I hope they do not. From his days as a player for England Under 19 he has always had disciplinary issues. Kick him out and kick him hard as he appeared to do to some poor bloke on the floor in Bristol. Let him bide his time in the murkiness of Durham or in the hot spots of India.

Ben Stokes, I salute you. (Sm44)

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

hantssabre
hantssabre (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 18:26
Not any international or domestic cricket allocated to Taunton then!

[pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com]

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 18:36
Six Tests a year, half of them in London. Throwback to the old days and traditional grounds with no Tests in Cardiff or Southampton. Edgbaston retains its stranglehold on the (old) T20 Finals day, and qualification for the 50-over final earns you a trip to Trent Bridge. The new T20 venues for the Big Dosh League are the expected 8.

Underwhelmed.

That Bloke With The Dog
14 February, 2018 18:40
Does that mean we have to pay for floodlights for the World Cup next year, then not switch them on again for at least another six years, and probably never again?

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 18:45
T20 new comp. games at Cardiff ?????

Even if they give tickets away the place will be empty & the atmosphere about as exciting as a damp cardboard box.

What a dogs dinner.

Makes you weep.

Grizzzly

nelliec
nelliec (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 20:43
A total disregard to the other 10 or so counties.All the gearing up done by Mr Cooper in anticipation of getting a share of the new T20 competition, and one day internationals totally out the window.
There will now be no need to separate membership into 2 categories in the future,as no one will pay to watch a second rate competition.

nelliec
nelliec (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 20:54
Oh and no more Lords finals either!!!!........

That Bloke With The Dog
14 February, 2018 21:40
Whatever Somerset and the other counties do, they must not try to compete on a T20 basis. Just ignore it. It's past its peak anyway. I watched that T10 tournament from Sharjah just before Christmas, and it was brilliant. T20 is all about the 6-over powerplay and the 4-over slog at the end. T10 gives you that, and ignores the pointless 'rotating the strike' bit in the middle.

Three counties at one venue for a 3-match, round-robin T10 extravaganza, finishing under lights, would be great fun. Shouldn't be too difficult to divide the 18 counties up into regional conferences to build up to a couple of three-team semi-finals and then a grand final.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 21:50
Our profit in 2017 was down almost entirely to the Women's World Cup games and the one off ODI England v. South Africa.

The ground redevelopment to the extent that we got Category B status, has turned out to be a White Elephant mainly driven by exaggerated ego trips by those who ran our club. And next floodlights and a new stand at what cost, and for what purpose? The Treasurer said at our last AGM that it will be difficult to make much of a profit (if at all) in 2018, so membership prices must be hiked.

A game or two when the next men's World Cup is held in England and that's your lot. I never expected that the new T20 comp. due to get under way in 2 years would see any games played at Taunton, and so it has proved to be.

The members who own the club get a raw deal whilst the officials probably swan around and enjoy the corporate hospitality at Lord's etc. etc. and proudly boast that we are a "great little club."

Words don't fail me, but ..........................

nelliec
nelliec (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 22:04
Sounds like a few broken promises by the ECB , or at least they appear to have given other counties a false amount of hope that things would be spread around on all fronts,
They obviously had no intention of any grounds , other than test match venues hosting any of these matches.The T20 international last year, ant the three one day games in 2019 at Taunton is probably our sweetener.
To totally disregard Taunton for 5 years altogether must be a huge kick in the teeth for Mr.Cooper. Assuming all profits are spread between these 8 venues , the void between these clubs and the remaining 10 will just get wider, to the point where we will no longer be able to attract players or pay the wages of the players we've got.

That Bloke With The Dog
14 February, 2018 22:46
I can see the boundaries between these city franchises and their host counties getting very blurred indeed: players being encouraged to sign for Hants if they want to get a gig with the Southampton Super Kings, for instance.

We've seen this sort of thing happening in the Big Bash League, with Justin Langer having to deny accusations that Perth Scorchers have been circumventing the salary cap by bundling contracts with the W Australia state team.

God knows what the answer is, but one thing I'm sure of: the remaining counties are going to have to act aggressively towards the franchise counties, and recognize explicitly that the likes of Bransgrove and Graves, Hampshire CCC and Yorkshire CCC, are actively and intentionally working to destroy us. Compromising with them, or begging for fairness and crumbs off the table, as we've done so far, is just leading to a very swift demise.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 23:09
Cardiff!?!?!?
This must be based on their regular domestic T20 high crowds i guess.
This ECB market research that tells us there are 1000s of untapped T20 fans just waiting to attend a new franchise competition must be all living in South Wales.....

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 04:08
I'm not sure you'll see an urban side at the Rose Bowl..... it's one of the possibles but they may get shafted the way Durham were.

Just seen that they have got the nod...... So Durham get shafted twice and North East cricket gets the same treatment as South West

I fear for the County Ground's viability. When we kept our vote positive for this I'm sure the people doing that had some faith in us still being able to pull in the captive audience of Taunton for second level T20's. That won't happen if you hike the prices for off the cuff entry up I'm afraid.

Tesco car park in 7 years? It's why I am reluctant to consider one of the flats (well besides the over inflated price)

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/02/2018 04:50 by Grockle.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 08:48
There is a bit of a bright light in all this.

SCCC will not be on a lock-down for four or is it six weeks mid-summer and will still be able to generate income while this rubbish is going on.

Small comfort I know.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 09:18
Re- flood-lighting.

The lighting will be used more often than some people think.

The domestic t20 matches, Somerset will be able to start the matches a bit later than they have before like other counties, that will give more time for people to get home from work.

And they can be switched on bad light days.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 11:40
Sophia Gardens/ SWALEC Stadium/ Cardiff was developed to a large extent by finance from the Welsh Government I believe. How else did they get a Test Match in the first instance. Geographical location, number of county members etc have nothing to do with it.

It is a Test Match ground so was always in the front spot for a T20 comp. home ground, based on the geographical area of Glam., Glos. and Somerset.

Twas always going to happen despite any hopes and claims made by Mr Cooper.

Railboy
Railboy (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 12:08
Surely Flatholme would be a more suitable venue for a team based on the geographical location of Glam, Glouc, and Somerset. Would probably get a similar crowd to the SWALEC.

Current Page: 1 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net