cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 25
2018 ENGLAND CRICKET
Grockle (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 09:09
For our English musings of this year.

(Sm72)

Re: 2018 ENGLAND CRICKET
Bobstan (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 08:11
"Peter Trego liked

Luke Wright

Verified account

@lukewright204
22 hours ago

If England win this one day series will County Cricket get praised for producing these players or is county cricket and its players only mentioned when things go wrong?

115 replies . 576 retweets 4,635 likes"

Luke Wright has taken a pasting on here over the years. Not for this tweet, surely.

Grockle (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 11:49
Well Matt Prior got roasted for suggesting County Cricket was responsible for the Test loss and deservedly so.

(Sm72)

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 15:27
England cricketer Ben Stokes has been charged with affray over an incident outside a Bristol nightclub.

A disturbance in September allegedly left a man with a fractured eye socket and police sent findings to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) in November.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

They took their time!

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 15:55
The difficulty being they didn't have a 'victim', because I think the person who was (allegedly) hit didn't want to press charges, because of what the 'victim' was allegedly doing in order to allegedly be punched.

Top penalty is five years for affray, but in many cases it can result in a suspended sentence.

[www.criminal-lawyers.com.au]

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 17:10
He says he wants to clear his name, but I wonder whether that will happen, given that the CPS has called for prosecution.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 17:47
Chunky, that looks like a Australian website, it does sound like it is the same as this country.

15 January, 2018 17:54
Mike- try this one. suggests maximum of 3 years.

[www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk]

Stokes might have a dilemma. If he pleads guilty that greatly increases his chances of avoiding a custodial sentence. But from the point of his reputation (and what penalty the ECB might impose) can he really afford to plead guilty?

Edit- In fact, looking at the 'mitigating factors' and 'no weapon' sections, even if guilty he would be unlikely to get more than 6 months (If i'm interpreting it right).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2018 18:02 by chunkyinargyll.

AGod (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 19:51
A community service is order is common for a first offence.

I cannot see how he could possibly plead not guilty in light of the video evidence.

Farmer White (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 20:58
Perhaps given this matter is now sub judice and this is a public forum I think it would be appropriate to cease discussing anything relating to culpabiliy in this case. Quite apart from anything else a defendant is entitled to have his guilt or innocence discussed and decided by a jury and until such time he is considered innocent of any charges and may still be afterwards.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 22:55
I agree with that wise approach, Farmer, but if he is to end up having to do some kind of cimnunity service perhaps it could be bowling to kids at Nevil Road for twelve hours. That sounds like punishment enough.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 23:08
If he is found guilty, I say the E C B should ban him from ever representing England again. The game doesn't need him at that level. Let him do his time working for Durham.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Grockle (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 05:25
As much as I probably agree with some kind of ban should it go against Stokes I think the last couple of months have proved very solidly that there is a need for probably more than one 'Stokes' at 'that level'.

He is most certainly one of the two things England missed very much during the Aussie long format series.

In agreement with Farmer. Please do not discuss the aspects of the case here if possible. Mr Stokes is innocent until proven guilty and has his right to his day in court.

From reading around this it seems that if the matter stays in the Magistrates court then it is usually a fine and some form of community service with a maximum of 6 months for serious stuff. If it gets kicked up to a higher court then it is a different matter though.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 07:44
Humphrey Appleby to Trevor Bayliss: "So the Ashes defeat is down to Stokes and no questions will be asked of anyone else"
Bayliss replies: "If the team ain't broke don't fix it, see you in April"

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 09:49
I would suggest that affray is relatively minor (tho that doesn't excuse it) and, if found guilty, Stokes will have served the cricket-related element of any sentence during this winter (Sept-Aprilish, seven Tests plus ODIs and T20s), and therefore be available again as soon as the court has decided.

cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 11:06
Nine of the 12 posts on this site since Mike TA1`s at 15.27 yesterday are so prejudicial to a fair trial for Ben Stokes that the defence would be quite entitled to approach the bench before the trial opens and say it is impossible for Stokes to get a fair trial.

Only the posts of chuckyinargyll (15.55 yesterday), Mike TAI (17.47 yesterday) and Somerset LaLaLa (7.44 today) do not fall into this category, and one even opens the option for the prosecution to also say their case would not get a fair hearing.

The option for the judge in cases like this used to be to switch the hearing away from Bristol to the other end of the country, were a jury was unlikely to have read any of the comments. But the universal aspect of the internet now makes this much more difficult.

What posters should also remember is that the judge has the power to call before him anyone who has made a prejudicial remark public (for example in a newspaper, tv or online) before the case starts, ask him or her for an explanation and if he feels so inclined punish the offender.

In more years than I care to remember covering court cases, I have seen this sanction taken against editors and others - one famous case being a newspaper headline `Joe Bloggs in Court Again`, immediately letting the world know that Joe Bloggs had previous convictions.

17 January, 2018 12:47
Stokes available for New Zealand.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 15:35
Seems somewhat perverse to me.

If he is OK to play now, notwithstanding being charged with an offence, why was he not cleared to play in the Ashes ?

Grizzzly

2018 ENGLAND CRICKET
Following on (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 16:54
I appreciate the concept of innocent until proven guilty, but you must be innocent at the point no charge has been brought, so I agree totally with Grizzly!

18 January, 2018 07:49
A piece by Nick Hoult, which explains the reasoning behind Stokes' reinstatement.

[www.stuff.co.nz]

Current Page: 1 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net