Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the start of CC1 2018

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Starting Problem
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 00:27
Quiet day at work, so did a bit of research re our Championship results across the last 20 years, i.e. seasons 1998-2017 inclusive:

Championship games starting before end of June:

W L D Total

40 49 69 158

25% 31% 44% 100%

Championship games starting 1st July onwards:

W L D Total

50 38 74 162

31% 23% 46% 100%

So, we win 25% more of games played in the second half of the season, relative to the first half.

We lose 34% more of our games played in the first half of the season, in contrast to the second half.

Clearly, not a new problem & seemingly no closer to being resolved.

Let's hope that LC's decision to keep us closer to HQ pre season 2018 helps.

Re: Starting Problem
Grockle (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 07:03
Well at least we have these when people start blaming Sarge and Jason for the new phenomenom when we first falter this year. Thanks Grizzz.

We've been weak starters as long as we've been here I think. Does anyone have a year when we started strong since 1994?

There's been a 'solid' start in the last couple where we managed not to lose (criticised at the time of course) but has there been a stand out 'winning' start to a season this...... century? 2000? 2007? 2011?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2018 07:08 by Grockle.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 18:43
Yes, perhaps surprisingly, there have been a few seasons when we got out of the blocks a bit quicker, i.e. for games starting before the end of June.

Pretty amazingly, these came primarily in six consecutive seasons, representing a most unusual 'hot spot' for us, which had certainly escaped my memory:

2007: Played 8, won 4, lost 1, drawn 3
2008: Played 6, won 2, lost 1, drawn 3
2009: Played 7, won 3, lost 1, drawn 3
2010: Played 8, won 3, lost 2, drawn 3
2011: Played 8, won 3, lost 1, drawn 4
2012: Played 9, won 2, lost 1, drawn 6

The last five early seasons, from 2013-2017 inclusive have not been pretty however:

Played 42, won 8, lost 12, drawn 22

Edited to change 'all' to 'primarily'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2018 23:03 by Grizzzly.

Grockle (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 18:54
Interesting. Still the issue seems to be changing draws into victories rather than deal with a huge amount of losses in the early section of the season.

More wins pre 2013 than after however. However 2010, 2012 and 2016 show all is not lost if the front half is mostly draws I suppose.

Crazy isn't it that in all these recent 'appalling' seasons struggling to stay away from relegation (allegedly) that we have come second 3 of the 4 times in our history?

What was the front end record in 2001 I wonder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2018 19:00 by Grockle.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:57
The first four matches of 2001 were
Lost; Lost; Tied; Won

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Grockle (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 04:19
Oh for the golden days of Cricket Archive

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 08:26
Not quite as good, but but does the job-

Grockle (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 08:31
Cheers Chunky.

According to that, 2001 CC games until the end of June came out as LDWDDLD

Not a lot of difference to later on then.

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 08:50
Might a conclusion be that we're not so much a poor starting county as a good finishing county? Maybe to do with pitches, weather, contracts...?

AGod (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 19:46
The point about the bad starts is not really about 'games before the end of June,' as far as I'm concerned.

That's a larger sample size which, IMO, obscures the true problem.

It's the first couple of games, specifically, that are the big problem - the ones in which, more often than not, we are off the pace.

The only time in the past several years that I can recall our winning an early season game was when we had Vernon Philander and he and George Dockrell (if memory serves) bowled us to a home win vs Middx.

If one were to look at the table after, say, three games over each of the past several seasons, Somerset would almost never be near the top and regularly be near the bottom.

Starting slowly has never been ideal, and it's obvious that a cut to 14 games places an even greater premium on each match.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing