Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the start of CC1 2018

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

High Profile Match Awards.
57deacon (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 05:16
Yesterday saw the award of matches by the Independent High Profile March Awards Panel. On the face of it it looks disappointing for Taunton and some are upset. Here’s why I believe Taunton is very well placed to host International cricket and High Profile Matches in the future.

A few years ago Taunton won CONDITIONAL CATEGORY B status which allows the ground to host IT20s and ODIs by agreement. It’s “conditional” because Taunton doesn’t meet the 15,000 capacity requirement To achieve that capacity Somerset County Cricket Club would have had to maximise debt and “bet the farm” to erect a stadium holding 15k. Would that have been the right decision? We didn’t think so. Instead we planned and took a different and sustainable route.

Taunton is now acknowledged as THE best County Ground and THE best venue for 10-12k capacity. Somerset County Cricket Club is profitable and with a strong balance sheet. Consequently it has already won WWC, WC2019 & an IT20 fixtures.

Crucially, and what people haven’t factored into their thinking is there will be many more international fixtures (over and above those announced yesterday) looking for 10/12k capacity as the new ICC and T20 schedules evolve from 2020.

Taunton is a unique high quality and telegenic venue with unrivalled communications access for fans. The Club has played a canny ‘long game” and I’ve no doubt will duly prosper.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/02/2018 12:21 by Grockle.

Re: High Profile Match Awards.
Grockle (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 12:20
Thanks for this Deacon. If it is OK with you I have duplicated it on the active thread related to this decision so people can see it in the debate and I will close this comment so they respond to things on one thread and we can keep the flow. I hope that is OK

And thank you for the quick response. It is always good to have the views of as many people involved as possible so we can widen and deal with the issues more fully.

If there is any issue please let me know on Twitter and I'll sort it.

If posters read this thread and wonder about commenting please make your comments on the 2018 Other Cricket News thread as that is where a copy of this post and the debate is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/02/2018 12:27 by Grockle.

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing