Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Time to the start of CC1 2018

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: No UberT20 at Taunton
nelliec (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 18:54
I think most people would just be happy with a permanent stand similar to what was there before ,just a bit longer to stretch the whole length of the gap, with a little more leg room.If they want to put temporary stands behind that so be it.
Unfortunately it will be a similar temporary to las year,with just enough room to sit down with people squeezing past every 2 minutes.
I wonder if they would consider allowing people to bring their own chairs in for championship games,Probably the best sun spot on the ground!!

Grockle (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 04:28
I think there is a cost for setting up and maintaining the stands and then a rental for how long you keep it up for. We had them there for quite a while.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 16:39
Yes, they were there for an extended period & from recollection weren't used for many weeks after initially being put up.

It would seem logical that the cost would be based on how long we had the stands in the ground, regardless of when we/the ECB chose to use them.

Presumably all based on logistics.

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 19:53
"Seating and Tentage and Rent and Preparation" were headings of match expenditure that appeared regularly in the club's accounts even in the 1990's.

Then of course we played on various outgrounds - Bath, Weston - super - Mare, Glastonbury etc. and no doubt we had to pay rent to the ground owners, put up tents and seats and prepare the ground for a First Class fixture.

The amount under these 2 heads for 2017 amounted to £416,130 (an increase of just under £300,000 over 2016). I am not sure what was included under the account heads, but I suspect that the presentation in the accounts was the result of some lazy bookkeeping and accounting.

I have no doubt or concern that the money was indeed spent on match expenses, but the accounts could and should have been made clearer.

Grockle (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 05:56
That huge temporary stand was here unused for a considerable amount of time - it could have had some thing to do with when it could be set up and how long it took to get it OK'd from a safety point of view but it is a lot of money.

Tractor (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 09:12
Very interested to read this in The Times this week (Thursday, page 67) about the ECB venues for future matches. The full online piece is here, but you have to register for this specific bit ...

"Despite having spent tens of millions of pounds to become Test match grounds there will be no Tests in the next few years at Durham, Hampshire or Cardiff."
"These grounds, though, will stage one-day internationals. They have been in receipt of significant amounts of public money to stay afloat. Somerset, a model English county, with minimum debt, controlled and self-funded expansion, an academy that produces a significant number of good, young English players, is absent from the list entirely."

We all knew this, but doesn't it sound good coming from Mike Atherton?

hantssabre (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:50
And here's the full article in The Times if you don't want to register

AGod (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 12:07
I can't quite put into words how much I hope Middx simply tell Morgan "Nah, no ta."

"This week, England’s one-day captain, Eoin Morgan, who has not played a first-class game in nearly three years, offered his services in first-class cricket to his county, Middlesex, for the forthcoming English season. Shorn of an IPL deal, he finds himself at a loose end. Whether he is good enough to get in the team remains to be seen."

AGod (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 12:11
But, more widely, there seems little doubt that the advent of the Godawful city based T20 will help to further kill off the county game, as more people follow Adil Rashid's lead and try to focus only on white ball to increase their chances of some stupidly inflated contract paid for playing in that unmitigated dross.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to be in love with our national summer sport.

Hants01 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 14:00
Somerset miss out on being one of the hosts of this new competition; I don't they are missing out on anything. It's not something to crave for.

On Atherton's article, he ought to remember Durham providing Stokes, Wood, etc. and Hampshire-despite the Kolpakshire reputation- have at least supplied Dawson, Vince, Crane, etc.

I work on the basis that anything Rod Bransgrove is in favour of is a bad idea. The new franchise he so enthuses about I believe will be a disaster that we can abort quickly. The pending disastrous performance of the Test team, caused by the marginalisation of the Championship will concentrate minds. Good luck to Mason Crane in getting a CC match other than a visit to Taunton. I doubt the best overseas players will come here- AB de Villiers, Kohli? Really?! The England players will, I suspect be spared it (lucky them). The teams, manufactured, will have no identity with no reference to placenames. We need to take the two positives that will come from this nonsense: 1) the return of some festival cricket as the franchises uses the bigger county grounds and 2) the return of live cricket on the BBC.

I am surprised Bransgrove didn't play his hand differently by saying Hampshire won't make themselves available for the franchise, unless it gets an Ashes Test and leaving itself ready to withdraw a bid in the event of being passed over (which it was).

I see the franchises going the same way as say...the old Refuge Assurance semi-finals!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2018 14:02 by Hants01.

Grizzzly (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 18:01
Very good article by Athers. Dare I say a rare outbreak of common sense, albeit with few answers offered.

The comments at the foot of the article are also interesting. I wonder if "Graham Rose" (comment approx. number 11) is the one & only GR who graced us for so many years ?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing