cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Bagpuss
Somerset v Ireland
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 12:03
Thought this needed a thread of its own. Posting the news so HQ (if they're reading) get plenty of notice that Tim Murtagh ISN'T IN THE SQUAD. Although named in the 13 yesterday Middlesex have asked for him to be released (even though they don't have a match that clashes). Gary Wilson captains the side in the absence of injured Porterfield. Ed Joyce is also not fit to play.
Sadly George Dockrell doesn't make the squad after a poor showing at the WCQ in Zimbabwe.

Gary Wilson (c)
Andrew Balburnie
Peter Chase
Andrew McBrine
Barry McCarthy
Kevin O'Brien
Niall O'Brien
Boyd Rankin
James Shannon
Simi Singh
Paul Stirling
Jack Tector
Craig Young

Loyal of Lhasa
Re: Somerset v Ireland
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 12:13
When does this match start and does it have first-class status?

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 12:31
It starts on Friday and lasts for four days.

It doesn`t have first class status, but is intended as a warm-up match for Ireland before they play their first-ever Test.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 12:38
Given the composition of the side, possibly to include Trescothick, Cove, Bess, Leach, Davies, van der Merwe, I think it should be upgraded to a Test Match.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 14:01
When the Uber 8 universe kicks-off, the rejected counties couldn't do worse than forming a breakaway with an unofficial England side. So the prospect of these players in a Test match of sorts against Ireland may be a reality sooner than you think

Railboy
Railboy (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 14:15
Quote:
Bagpuss
Sadly George Dockrell doesn't make the squad after a poor showing at the WCQ in Zimbabwe

Coincidentalltiming. 5 years or so ago George was our left arm spinner I would have tipped for Test match stardom and I thought Jack would have to ply his trade elsewhere to get game time.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 15:41
@Railboy I think many of us would have agreed with you at that stage. George's subsequent decline is sad and (for me at least) hard to explain, as a few years back he seemed to have all the attributes to make a high-class (though probably not world-class) bowler.
I'm afraid I cannot drive the thought from my mind that if Murtagh isn't playing we'd better change the wicket.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 15:55
I also cannot really comprehend what has happened to George.

hantssabre
hantssabre (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 16:43
I think like a lot of young cricketers George maybe spent too much time in the gym and not enough playing cricket

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 17:50
He never really got over the finger injury he had and I think that has affected his bowling more adversely than many expected it would.

You lose that, you lose confidence and it is a downward spiral

(Sm72)

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 19:54
Let's just hope the darned weather allows the game to be played !

Grizzzly

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 20:21
It’s not looking great, Grizz. I’m in Dorchester tonight, where it’s been raining all day and the river is expected to breach its banks. The forecast for the long weekend is pretty dismal. Even by the usual, low standards of an English March, this has been a stinker.

Let’s hope April brings a marked improvement..

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 23:36
We had several hours of snow on the southern side of the Blackdowns this afternoon. Changed to rain and washed away now.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 23:47
Are you there? Mikeindex has you in Christchurch, singing Jerusalem..

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
31 March, 2018 02:03
I was singing Jerusalem, but sadly my GPS is nearer to Christchurch, Dorset than its Kiwi namesake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/03/2018 09:39 by Bagpuss.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
31 March, 2018 08:32
Clearly there is a Bagpuss lookalike in NZ. It was quite a long shot.

Somerset LaLaLa
31 March, 2018 09:29
Forecast for next week is:

Sun - rain
Mon - rain
Sat - rain

This could be in our favour if it continues till May

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
02 April, 2018 11:45
I assume no Craig or Jack for Friday!
Also no overseas!
Presumably it is 11 a side?
Im going for.....
Tres Eddie George Hildy Tom SD Tregs Lewis Dom Jamie Timmy G

chunkyinargyll
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 20:51
Looks like there will be an online commentary-

[twitter.com]

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 21:09
@WSM that would be our strongest side, I agree (maybe Roley for Pete, and Rouse/Bartlett must be pretty close) - but personally I wouldn't mind seeing one or two of the less experienced players given a go. E.g. I'd have no objection to keeping Lewis and/or Jamie under wraps for now and seeing, maybe, Meerkat and/or Ben Green in action.
It's curious to speculate, if George D had fulfilled his early promise, which county Jack might now be playing for, and which if either of them might be representing England.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 22:30
There is an improvement this year on the live streaming, this comes from the Somerset website.

The stream will be have the following features:

– Available to ALL Somerset fans
– FREE of charge to ALL Somerset fans
– Streamed via the SCCC website
– Available to watch on PC, Mobile, Tablet and Games Consoles
– Overlay graphic displaying all key information such as the score and batsman totals
– Pause and rewind function
– NEW FOR 2018: Live BBC Commentary synced to the action on field

Hopefully this will also apply to this match.

Somerset LaLaLa
05 April, 2018 08:28
The development of free to air live streaming for cricket, albeit with a fixed camera, is a big step forward. I particularly enjoyed revisiting key moments from last season, watching Somerset in far flung places and recently enjoying Dom Bess's efforts.

My understanding is that the live cricket without commentary is provided automatically from a rather clever piece of software developed by a Bristol based company, My Action Replay which is now owned by CricHQ from New Zealand. They have an agreement with Somerset to provide coverage where it doesn't infringe on existing tv rights. Apparently the pictures have been watched hundreds of thousands of times, slightly more than the average ground attendance. The technology can also be applied to local clubs and other sports.

It would be interesting to know more about the current position of this - which other counties in 2018 will provide live coverage, does the software cost an arm and a leg, and is there some sort of negotiation going on at national/international level?

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 09:35
It's a great innovation and hugely welcome. Massively well done to all at the club for bringing it on-stream.

Don't be surprised, though, if the ECB tries to find a reason to stop counties doing this because the ECB is likely to find the discovery of any data which supports the notion that the CC (and its existing counties, as opposed to city teams) are actually very popular, to be hugely inconvenient, in its on-going mission to marginalise all but the city dross.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 09:40
I believe at the moment the only restriction is it can't be done if the match is televised.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 11:48
Yes that's right, Mike.

DeanSwift
DeanSwift (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 13:34
Weather could be worse!

Here is the latest for the Taunton area according to Dark Sky

[darksky.net]

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 18:51
No Trego No RVDM No Banton No Rouse No overseas!
Craig & Jack en route back still from NZ

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 20:46
Details of the match on the clubs website, 11am start.

Also on the detail page is -

2018 Members are asked to bring their Membership cards as we will be testing the scanners at the entrance gates.

That will be a bit hard for me to do. I will sneak in through the back door.
Seriously you don't need your membership to get in, it is free entry.

cricketjerry-mouse
06 April, 2018 11:59
I see the Ireland match is 12-a-side, which is slightly disappointing as it is supposed to be a warm-up for their first-ever Test match.

Somerset, put into bat, are 69-0 after 13 overs

cricketjerry-mouse
06 April, 2018 12:26
Not sure it is 12-a-side after all.

The scorecard names 12 players in batting order, but the website says Paul van Meekeren, listed at no.12, is 12th man.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net