cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Max Waller?
Dccc711 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2018 15:05
Hi all
Always wondered why Max Waller is only chosen for one day games . I'm guessing it's not his choice?. Is there a reason why he hasn't moved clubs to play 4 day cricket. Surely if only on a one day gig he isn't on a fortune & has a living to earn?

Cheers

Re: Max Waller?
AGod (IP Logged)
03 April, 2018 19:19
Because he barely turns his leg-break.

Old Boy! (IP Logged)
03 April, 2018 19:33
If Max is happy I'm happy. He has a wonderful talent even his batting in 2nd XI has been very impressive over the years. His skill appears to be that he bowls best if he is in 1 day or T20 - he seems to bowl mainly fastish googlies with 1 or 2 legbreaks or even a few medium pace seamers.

Unfortunately Max seems never to have tried to develop a basic legbreak for 4 day cricket. He seems to be happy with his lot. His fielding is second to none, even within the country and various counties.

Lets celebrate him for what he gives us.

Old Boy!

Slow Left Chinaman (IP Logged)
03 April, 2018 21:41
He sprays it around far too much for 4day - in short form (particularly T20) this is fine as his fast long hops and random rubbish can be hard to hit, but when batsmen can just wait for the bad ball, they'd destroy him.

Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
03 April, 2018 21:49
He is a very lucky bloke to be earning a living of some kind out of county cricket. He has been here for too long and is never going to either improve or to command a place in the 4 day side.

Sad but true IMO.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
03 April, 2018 22:01
People never get worked up about people who only play 4 day cricket though, do they?

Maybe it's more to do with the average age of posters on forums like this (and I include myself).

Middlesex followers never get worked up about the fact Robson never plays T20, and not that often in 50 overs, but if it's the other way round, T20 player, plays the odd 50 over, and never championship the verdict is 'Lucky to be here'.

Grockle (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 15:44
Rosey's reason was that he didn't have a stock ball. He causes mayhem in 4 overs because he bowls everything he has and batsmen are not sure what is next.

Shame he isn't used in 50 overs but he doesn't scream give me a place. I always wondered what his batting would be like because we rarely see it in first team cricket.

He is probably one of the most gifted fielders we have ever put on a field but that doesn't seem to be enough.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2018 03:10 by Grockle.

RadstockRob (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 05:27
I don't think Max knows what he's going to bowl

Therefore the batsman hasn't a clue either!

05 April, 2018 10:24
Really? I think he looks as though he's got the ball on a piece of string sometimes. If a wrist spinner doesn't know what's coming out of the hand, he wouldn't be landing it so consistently in the right spot (and a career T20 economy rate of 7.42, despite playing half his games at Taunton, says there must be very few loose deliveries).

But that just makes it all the more frustrating and baffling to me that it's simply never happened for him in first-class cricket.

One other thing - I agree that his fielding looks gifted, as Grockle puts it, but like a lot of apparently gifted sports players, I suspect that that comes from a lot of work. I've certainly seen him put in the hard yards, doing training runs in the countryside by the Tone even at the height of the season. (He runs the same way he fields - like a big, eager puppy.)

By contrast, a friend once drove past Marcus on an apparent training run out near Trull one winter. She said he looked in such a state she wanted to stop and offer him a lift.

Dccc711 (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 15:09
Appreciate the replies. Loved coming to Taunton very friendly place. Good luck thus season

Cheers

Derby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2018 15:10 by Dccc711.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 15:35
Bloke - it's very difficult to set yourself to hit stuff if you don't know where the next ball is going to be - hence why so much emphasis has been placed on variety in T20 and why guys like Caddy were ineffective (unless presented with a green pitch) in this format of the game. Max bowls plenty of loose stuff but the mentality of most batsmen in T20 isn't 'patiently wait and try to play each ball on merit,' it's more 'wind up and try and bash everything,' and if the ball isn't where you expect it to be, that can be hard to do.

If Max's good T20 economy rate were down to reliable accuracy, then one would also expect him to have a notably good record (ER wise) in 50 over cricket, but he doesn't.

05 April, 2018 19:22
Fair points.

He's just always impressed me with the lack of wild, wide, overpitched deliveries that characterize most wrist spinners (or at least Mason Crane).

But speaking as someone who couldn't hit a 40 mph tennis ball with a shovel, what do I know?

AGod (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 23:23
No, indeed - Mason Crane is spectacularly inaccurate. Max can't hold a candle to Mason for inaccuracy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net