cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Predictions for CC's Div. 1 & Div.2
Hants01 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 20:57
Few if any predicted Essex winning the title last season, nor Middlesex's relegation. 2017's second tier proved more predictable: relegated Notts returning with yo-yoing Worcestershire. Again, it's absurd to relegate a quarter of the division. So what of 2018? My predictions:

Division 1:
1.ESSEX- strong squad, better for last year's experience. Strengthened well.
2.LANCS-good signings, vibrant young players.
3.YORKSHIRE- a lot of close-season introspection after underachieving in 2016; have the playing resources to get back and be challengers.
4.SURREY-losing Sangakkara's massive runs, have no overseas player at present after Marsh's withdrawal and have two players in the Indian circus. But reportedly may well get Morkel and will sign from overseas. Awash with young talent.
5.SOMERSET-anything might happen. Might be in a dogfight, might be contenders; will have learned from flirting with the drop last season. Test call-ups now enter the equation, but a fit and firing Jamie Overton? The overseas player may well prove a better signing than Bancroft would have been.
6.WORCS-won't emulate Essex, but won't disgrace themselves either. Fair amount of young talent and old heads and have recruited experience. Still strong relegation candidates.
7.HANTS-I'm erring on the side of caution. We might go down, we might also be title outsiders with Amla (early on), Northeast and Abbott's wickets. A better team than last season, but others, too, have improved.
8.NOTTS-look weaker to me than when they went down owing to injuries,
Hales' white-ball only decision, retirements. Might do better early on with Broad taking wickets.

Division 2:
1.MIDDLESEX-to walk this. By far the strongest squad.
2.SUSSEX-the Gillespie factor. Note how modest Kent subsided after he left and his longer stint at Yorkshire. Quality attack when everyone available, question mark about their batting.
3.WARWICKSHIRE-in transition and too early for them. Might need to raid a few more counties of their talent to go up.
4.NORTHANTS-a surprise last season and if any side can gate-crash the expected finishing order, they can.
5.GLAMORGAN-perhaps a year some of their home-grown talent comes through. Perhaps not.
6.KENT-my hope for the wooden spoon. Absurd decision to give a player the captaincy when he won't be in the country for two months, in my view. Raft of new signings might keep them from the bottom three or bottom completely. My wish for rank bottom.
7.DURHAM- cast off the legacy and burden of a points deduction, but hit by player transfers. A long climb back. A lot rests on veteran Collingwood for a respectable finish.
8.LEICS- just winning a match and then avoiding a wooden spoon would be achievements. Nixon's off-field buoyancy needs to translate to the players. Decent overseas signings. A big year for Carberry- best days over?
9.GLOS-toss-up between them and Derbyshire for bottom place. Same comment applies to them that I give Derbyshire.
10.DERBYSHIRE- thin squad numerically and talent-wise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2018 21:02 by Hants01.

Re: Predictions for CC's Div. 1 & Div.2
AGod (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 11:01
Essex to go down with Worcs from CC1 for me (Unlikely to have so much of Cook this season unless, of course, he actually gets axed by England. In my view, they're likely to lose Porter to England at some point during the summer).

Not a clue who will win it.

Don't have time to think about CC2.

Edited to say that, if I had to make a guess as to the CC1 winners, then I think Notts might be a strong bet. They have five reasonable seamers, outside of Ball and Broad (they have Fletcher, Coughlin, Wood, Gurney and Footitt) They have a wrist-spinner as an overseas player. I think they possibly have enough batting with Mullaney, Libby, Nash, Samit, Roscoe Taylor and Wessels.

I'm certainly not saying that Notts look a brilliant side - but they look to me to be one that would seem to have most of the bases covered and, Broad and possibly Ball apart, I don't think they will suffer any England Test calls. I also think that Ball's chances might have come and gone, in which case they'd have him to add to the five seamers named above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 12:45 by AGod.

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 11:05
I'm not sure you have had much time to think about Div. 1.

Somerset more likely to go down before Essex.

AGod (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 11:58
In your opinion, of course, Clarence.

Why do you consider that Somerset are more likely to go down than Essex?

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 12:16
Lancs and Yorks will be demoted, while Notts and Surrey will go with them for breaching the salary cap. Derbyshire, Glamorgan, Cloucestershire and Leicestershire will be promoted.

Graves will then abolish the First Division.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 12:57 by Loyal of Lhasa.

AGod (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 12:17
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Here's why I expect Essex to be in trouble... They were massively reliant on just two bowlers, one of whom (Porter) I suspect they'll end up losing to England for at least some of the time. Jimmy/Broad will probably miss the odd game. Not sure if TRJ is back to fitness? Mark Wood will definitely miss several games (you can take that to the bank!). There's Woakes to play most of the games, probably. Craig O will probably get a look but if the tracks are your archetypal English type (and with the weather we've had right before the season, they are likely to be) then I think England may decide that Porter is better suited to those tracks. We shall see.

They also got good production from the overseas slot but the presence, this time around, of Peter Siddle is cause for concern, given that he didn't perform very well (if memory serves) when last he was here.

Of course nearly 25% of their tons came from Cook was available for an unusual number of games last year.

They also lost their Head Coach to England as well.

AGod (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 12:26
Incidentally, if one looks down this list, one can see how thoroughly uninspiring most of the overseas signings look, at least on paper:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 13:34
Quote:
AGod
In your opinion, of course, Clarence.
Why do you consider that Somerset are more likely to go down than Essex?

Well, Essex thrashed Somerset twice in the CC last year, and despite your misgivings, I don't see them as being any weaker this year.

Somerset conversely are no stronger. We have as yet an unknown quantity to replace Elgar, Craig Overton may have the odd Test Match as may Jack Leach. Have I missed us recruiting anyone else? If we are not going to blatantly prepare used and roughened - up pitches to suit our spinners, then we may not be so successful at home this year.

On the plus side, we have rid ourselves of the previous D o C (Maynard) and a player previously with Glamorgan (Allenby) but will Andy Hurry in his new reincarnation be able to lift the side to new heights?

I hope we do well, but I can't at this pre - season stage see us coming above Essex.

But it is a funny old game, and if your prediction is correct come September AGod, I am sure we will be reminded of it in bucket loads.

Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 13:51
Lancs will be demoted? They will be hard to beat, so I vote for them as champions. Worcs at the bottom.

As for the other side to go down, it might well come to the last game again so could be from many. Yorkshire perhaps?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 13:52 by Somerset LaLaLa.

Grockle (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 14:42
How many years have you been predicting we will go down Clarence?

How many times have you been correct?

I think we may look elsewhere for assessments of our worth perhaps.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 16:05 by Grockle.

11 April, 2018 15:07
One of the annual myths announced at this time of the season is that "Somerset are no stronger", a statement that fails to take account of the fact that we have a crop of younger players each of them still below their peak, who are all "stronger" than they were a year ago - and will probably be stronger still twelve months from now.

LoL

Predictions for CC's Div. 1 & Div.2
Following on (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 15:11
I thought it was a given that we will win it!

AGod (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 15:14
Well, as you know LoL, the progress of any given individual player is most unlikely to follow a linear pattern. Not only will they not improve in proportional steps, but some may take a step backward, before they move forwards again.

However, when a reasonably large group (of young players) is taken as a whole, it's certainly reasonable to assume that there is liable to be overall improvement from the group, taken as a collective*. Therefore, I agree that the fact that we've not brought in new players from without doesn't automatically equate to the idea that we have failed to improve.

We also have very few (only one or perhaps two if one includes Peter) that are firmly at the other end of the spectrum and, thus, vulnerable to deterioration.

*Of course, there are possible flies in the ointment as far as the strength of our first XI is concerned, in the form of potential England calls for Jack and Craig and the fact that LG and JO are both coming back from fairly major injuries.

I don't think we're in a position where we necessarily *need* the likes of Bartlett, Rouse, Green and Sale to do well, but it would certainly be nice to see them advance and start to make their respective marks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 15:24 by AGod.

11 April, 2018 15:25
Byrom and Bess, to name but two...

LoL

AGod (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 15:54
Indeed.

Bobstan (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 18:45
I'm sure Big Jim believes we'll win.

wsm fan (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 19:46
And me!
1st Somerset
2nd to 8th dont care (well Surrey 8th ideal!)

Dave65 (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 19:52
Div 1:

1. Lancs
2. Essex
3. Surrey
4. Yorkshire
5. Hants
6. Somerset
7. Notts
8. Worcs

Div 2:
1. Warwickshire
2. Middlesex
3. Sussex
4. Kent
5. Durham
6. Northants
7. Glamorgan
8. Derbyshire
9. Gloucestershire
10. Leicestershire

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 20:09
Interesting (and not entirely surprising) that, in the BBC preview, Somerset are essentially an afterthought. Nail THAT on the dressing room door.

Grockle (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 20:13
I like it when we are after thoughts. They aren't expecting us then. Always a good place to be. Bring it on.

(Sm72)

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net