cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 16
CC1 vs Worcestershire, Taunton.. team selection
AG on apple (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 11:39
So, Chunky's prediction was proven true and now we know who our overseas player is. With the possible exception of a slight illness for Dom Bess, I think we know the availability of our players (that we have a clean bill of health, in fact, and no players ordered to rest by England).

So, what side should we pick? I think I, personally, would be inclined to select the following:

Trescothick
Byrom
Renshaw
Hildreth
Tom
Davies
Lewis
Craig
Dom
Jack
Tim

I suspect that the actual side selected by Andy Hurry will include an extra seamer (possibly Josh Davey) instead of Dom, but I'd rather have Dom. Or they might play Jamie but, personally, after his Ireland outing, I think I'd want him to build some form and rhythm in the seconds first. If there are any doubts as to Lewis's fitness, then I suppose that Peter might come in, to help balance the side.

Re: CC1 vs Worcestershire, Taunton.. team selection
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 11:52
Will the side be selected by Andy Hurry?

I understood from the interview with both him and Jason Kerr which appeared on the club's website a few weeks ago, that team selection was down entirely to Jason Kerr the Head Coach, as indeed it should be IMO.

I can't imagine Pete Trego playing much CC cricket this season unless we are decimated by injuries.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 11:58
Oh, okay. So Andy intends to have no involvement in team selection?

I had rather assumed that AH would be hands-on with the squad since his background is as a successful coach.

As for Peter Trego, Greg Kennis was talking about him, Roelof, Max Waller and Johann Myburgh all being in strong contention for the first seconds game so perhaps they have effectively already been discounted for selection for the first one.

Although if Myburgh is going to here (rather than at his school job) then I'd go back to what I said last season in that, unless for some reason he has no desire to play red ball cricket, then he should be considered for the initial first XI game.

The Easter break is all but over, schools wise, so if Myburgh is here now then he will presumably be here for the season, and not at a school?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2018 11:59 by AG on apple.

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 12:10
Seconds game is v Devon on Sunday, a one day game. So Myburgh won't be missing lessons.

13 April, 2018 12:34
If he is employed at an Independent School, which he was, then he will almost certainly be missing some school activities.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:10
Is there any particular reason why you use first names for some players, and surnames for others, AGod?

It can't be length of service, or contribution down the years, or Trescothick would surely be Marcus.

AG on apple (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:51
Pure whim, Chunky.

Speaking of one's whims, I read in the ES yesterday evening that "Eoin Morgan is a doubt for the first game, having assured Middx that he really is keen to play red ball cricket for the first time in three years."

That's big of him.. keen to fulfil his contract. Have the IPL bucks dried up for him or something?

p.s. what's the deal with the old Compdog. I keep reading that he is 'out of favour.' Presumably that has little to do with this pre-season as, I would assume, MIddx have not had one, really, like the rest of us? I guess he'll retire fairly soon if he doesn't get a look in, rather than look for another county?

AG on apple (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:56
Not a great start for the Pears... taken for a run-a-ball (or thereabouts) 75 by James Vince. Magoffin uncharacteristically expensive - ten overs for 47, but 2 wickets.

Play wiped out at Leeds. A heavily truncated day, if that, in prospect at Old Trafford.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 15:02
Compton out of favour as Gus has introduced a youth opportunity scheme.

Unfortunately, the youth in question (Robbie White) was out for a first ball duck, shouldering arms to one that came back in.

Grockle (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 15:55
Is Myburgh available for four day cricket? I thought his contract was only for the white ball block events except for weekends and school holiday games?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2018 15:57 by Grockle.

Old Boy! (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 17:51
Whatever the state of the wicket, the first two names on my list would be Jack and Dominic until they are together as England's spin twins later in the summer. IMO we should realise that we have the best two spinners in the country and Dominic could eventually be batting successfully at 5, 6 or 7.

Old Boy!

AGod (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 09:15
Quite right, Old Boy.

We must pick our most penetrative attack.

Convention says 'pick a bunch of seamers early,' but, given that the average English batsman plays spin like one imagines Geoffrey's proverbial 'Mum with a stick of rhubarb,' would play it...

The average English county batsman is a 5/10 vs the moving ball (seam and swing) but a 0/10 vs the turning ball. Think, for example, of the inept efforts of Bell and Trott (in theory two of the better players on the circuit) when they came to Taunton to face Dom and Leachy.

If there is damp under the surface (and how, newish drainage system or no, is Simon Lee going to keep damp from being under the Worcs pitch?) then the ball is *very* likely to turn and the only concern would be if the ball itself were too wet to grip.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2018 09:26 by AGod.

wsm fan (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 10:55
Tres Eddie Matt Hildy Tom Steve Lewis Craig Jamie Jack Tim

Grockle (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 13:38
Yep with the weather you are describing I doubt very much we will be going in with a double spin attack.

(Sm72)

14 April, 2018 13:49
I would like to see Van Meekeren given an outing.

AGod (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 13:57
I wouldn't be averse to that either, Clarence.

Dave65 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 09:36
Trescothick
Renshaw
Hildreth
Byrom
Abell
Davies
Gregory
C.Overton
J.Overton
Leach
Groenewald

AGod (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 09:48
HIldreth at number three, Dave?

Dave65 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 13:27
I don't want my top 3 to all be left handers and I also feel that Hildreth should take on some extra responsibility as an experienced player.

AGod (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 13:58
Fair enough.

Current Page: 1 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net