cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 12
AG on apple
CC1 vs Worcestershire, Taunton.. team selection
AG on apple (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 11:39
So, Chunky's prediction was proven true and now we know who our overseas player is. With the possible exception of a slight illness for Dom Bess, I think we know the availability of our players (that we have a clean bill of health, in fact, and no players ordered to rest by England).

So, what side should we pick? I think I, personally, would be inclined to select the following:

Trescothick
Byrom
Renshaw
Hildreth
Tom
Davies
Lewis
Craig
Dom
Jack
Tim

I suspect that the actual side selected by Andy Hurry will include an extra seamer (possibly Josh Davey) instead of Dom, but I'd rather have Dom. Or they might play Jamie but, personally, after his Ireland outing, I think I'd want him to build some form and rhythm in the seconds first. If there are any doubts as to Lewis's fitness, then I suppose that Peter might come in, to help balance the side.

Clarence Parker
Re: CC1 vs Worcestershire, Taunton.. team selection
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 11:52
Will the side be selected by Andy Hurry?

I understood from the interview with both him and Jason Kerr which appeared on the club's website a few weeks ago, that team selection was down entirely to Jason Kerr the Head Coach, as indeed it should be IMO.

I can't imagine Pete Trego playing much CC cricket this season unless we are decimated by injuries.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 11:58
Oh, okay. So Andy intends to have no involvement in team selection?

I had rather assumed that AH would be hands-on with the squad since his background is as a successful coach.

As for Peter Trego, Greg Kennis was talking about him, Roelof, Max Waller and Johann Myburgh all being in strong contention for the first seconds game so perhaps they have effectively already been discounted for selection for the first one.

Although if Myburgh is going to here (rather than at his school job) then I'd go back to what I said last season in that, unless for some reason he has no desire to play red ball cricket, then he should be considered for the initial first XI game.

The Easter break is all but over, schools wise, so if Myburgh is here now then he will presumably be here for the season, and not at a school?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2018 11:59 by AG on apple.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 12:10
Seconds game is v Devon on Sunday, a one day game. So Myburgh won't be missing lessons.

Clarence Parker
13 April, 2018 12:34
If he is employed at an Independent School, which he was, then he will almost certainly be missing some school activities.

chunkyinargyll
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:10
Is there any particular reason why you use first names for some players, and surnames for others, AGod?

It can't be length of service, or contribution down the years, or Trescothick would surely be Marcus.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:51
Pure whim, Chunky.

Speaking of one's whims, I read in the ES yesterday evening that "Eoin Morgan is a doubt for the first game, having assured Middx that he really is keen to play red ball cricket for the first time in three years."

That's big of him.. keen to fulfil his contract. Have the IPL bucks dried up for him or something?

p.s. what's the deal with the old Compdog. I keep reading that he is 'out of favour.' Presumably that has little to do with this pre-season as, I would assume, MIddx have not had one, really, like the rest of us? I guess he'll retire fairly soon if he doesn't get a look in, rather than look for another county?

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:56
Not a great start for the Pears... taken for a run-a-ball (or thereabouts) 75 by James Vince. Magoffin uncharacteristically expensive - ten overs for 47, but 2 wickets.

Play wiped out at Leeds. A heavily truncated day, if that, in prospect at Old Trafford.

chunkyinargyll
13 April, 2018 15:02
Compton out of favour as Gus has introduced a youth opportunity scheme.

Unfortunately, the youth in question (Robbie White) was out for a first ball duck, shouldering arms to one that came back in.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 15:55
Is Myburgh available for four day cricket? I thought his contract was only for the white ball block events except for weekends and school holiday games?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2018 15:57 by Grockle.

RRANDREWS
Old Boy! (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 17:51
Whatever the state of the wicket, the first two names on my list would be Jack and Dominic until they are together as England's spin twins later in the summer. IMO we should realise that we have the best two spinners in the country and Dominic could eventually be batting successfully at 5, 6 or 7.

Old Boy!

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 09:15
Quite right, Old Boy.

We must pick our most penetrative attack.

Convention says 'pick a bunch of seamers early,' but, given that the average English batsman plays spin like one imagines Geoffrey's proverbial 'Mum with a stick of rhubarb,' would play it...

The average English county batsman is a 5/10 vs the moving ball (seam and swing) but a 0/10 vs the turning ball. Think, for example, of the inept efforts of Bell and Trott (in theory two of the better players on the circuit) when they came to Taunton to face Dom and Leachy.

If there is damp under the surface (and how, newish drainage system or no, is Simon Lee going to keep damp from being under the Worcs pitch?) then the ball is *very* likely to turn and the only concern would be if the ball itself were too wet to grip.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2018 09:26 by AGod.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 10:55
Tres Eddie Matt Hildy Tom Steve Lewis Craig Jamie Jack Tim

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 13:38
Yep with the weather you are describing I doubt very much we will be going in with a double spin attack.

(Sm72)

Clarence Parker
14 April, 2018 13:49
I would like to see Van Meekeren given an outing.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 13:57
I wouldn't be averse to that either, Clarence.

Dave65
Dave65 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 09:36
Trescothick
Renshaw
Hildreth
Byrom
Abell
Davies
Gregory
C.Overton
J.Overton
Leach
Groenewald

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 09:48
HIldreth at number three, Dave?

Dave65
Dave65 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 13:27
I don't want my top 3 to all be left handers and I also feel that Hildreth should take on some extra responsibility as an experienced player.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 13:58
Fair enough.

chunkyinargyll
16 April, 2018 09:34
Well, good luck for your first game.

In case any one was wondering, I'm not sitting here hoping you get relegated.

Reason- I love cricket, and I love talking about cricket, and you often have non Somerset specific discussions going on. I've said it before- I have a soft spot for Somerset, as I do for Worcestershire and Durham. All three of you produce a good number of home grown products, and don't have big budgets to play with (well, it has been stated in the past Somerset have a one of the higher wage bills, so maybe that comment doesn't totally compute!)

It's handy having a soft spot for a few counties. I can understand why some people don't do 'soft spots' at all, but for me the advantage is that when my team doesn't get to a one day final (it never does) then with a bit of luck one of my 'soft spot' counties might be there, which makes me feel a bit more invested in watching the final on tv if I can get behind someone else, rather than just not caring because my team isn't there (and it's a more positive attitude than sitting there thinking 'I hope x loses because I've got a grudge against them')

You see I was brought up to applaud good play by the opposition. I do get to at least one game per season, and one of the saddest things is when you sit there and some people won't applaud a single boundary, because you instantly know what side that person is supporting, as they have no intention whatsoever of putting their hands together to applaud a member of the opposition. And, unlike football, there really isn't a huge amount of pleasure in thrashing the opposition out of sight, because of course you want your side to win, but you do actually need the opposition to do well up to a point. You want to win, but in a funny sort of way you want the opposition to post at least 300, so there is a decent chance the game will last four days. And always more satisfying to beat a good team, with top quality players, who ran you close.

Anyway, I hope I don't forget anyone, but I enjoy interacting with AGod, Bagpuss, Bobstan,Botham, Grizzly, Loyal, Mike, Shepton Paul, Wickham, Rob, RonnieSabre et all (I probably have accidentally missed a couple out). Why? All good people who come here to talk cricket, and not get in to an argument. I reckon I started posting on here regularly the time Strauss played for Somerset, so that must make it 5 years. That is important, because it predates any of the controversies between Middlesex and Somerset, so fairly clearly I am here because I mostly enjoy the company here, and not looking for trouble. And, because I like you all, I would be more than happy if Somerset win the title. You see, I'm not that tribal, or I wouldn't be here would I? And if Middlesex can't win it, I'd be quite happy for all of you to have a lifetimes ambition fulfilled.

So- Good luck.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 09:50
Good on you, chunky. I've got no issue at all with you, you're more than welcome in my view - I wish we had a few other supporters of other counties interacting regularly on here. I bow to no-one in my support for my home county, even if I'm lucky to get to see them more than once or twice a year - though the love of my number-one sport is even more important.

I hope we're still in Div One next year when your county inevitably comes back up.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 09:56
Thanks, Chunky.

Even though you've got nearly 25% of the counties covered between allegiance and soft-spots, I'd *still* offer you pretty long odds against a white ball final for any of the above this season....

With a bit of luck, the fine weather forecast for this week will mean we can start on a track that isn't a total pudding and get a good game of cricket in against the Pears.

When I first saw the fixtures I thought 'Worcs at home?' We may never get a better chance to get off to a good start for only the second time this century (the only other one was the time we beat you guys with Philander and Dockrell). However, the almost complete absence of a pre-season programme for us, combined with the fact that Worcs have got a match in in CC1 already, leads me to suspect that we'll find it pretty hard going, especially with the bat.

One assumes that Worcs will send us in to bat and that would leave us with the customary disadvantage of them getting to bat last on a track that gets flatter probably 90% of the time. I would make this prediction: the shorter the match (in terms of number of days taken to produce a result) the better our chances of winning it...... if their second innings (batting last) takes place mainly or entirely on the final day, then that is liable to spell trouble for us.

MESSAGES->author
JuliaW (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 09:57
Good post Chunky. I'm with Shepton Paul on this, it's good to have other voices on here.

chunkyinargyll
16 April, 2018 09:59
Sorry I left you off the list, Julia. I guess in my mind I still had you down as an occasional poster.

Ronniesabre
Ronniesabre (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 10:04
Top post Chunky!!! Love Mddlesex v Somerset games at Lords. Would love to have them back soon.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 10:04
chunkyinargyll, I hope you continue to post on here, your comments are always welcome by me and I am sure by others.

Ignore any comments that may upset you, I do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 10:06 by Mike TA1.

hantssabre
hantssabre (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 10:34
Agree with all of the above

MESSAGES->author
JuliaW (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 10:57
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Sorry I left you off the list, Julia. I guess in my mind I still had you down as an occasional poster.

No problem! I'm certainly not as prolific a poster as many on here. smiling smiley

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:22
I have sometimes wondered why chunky's postings seem to have upset a few people here. I like his comments and appreciate that his first priority is cricket, with tribal loyalties coming further down the list. And comments about BBC 2 I regard as banter rather than patronising abuse. (My own awareness of the scope of television in Somerset is that it is Telewele and the West with signals beamed from Wenvoe - has something changed since I last lived in God's own county?)

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Current Page: 1 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net