cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
2018 Current CC1 games
AGod (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 17:08
A pretty dimsal start for Mr Northeast.

According to this week's Evening Standard, every CC1 county *apart* from Surrey made huge offers in a bid to sign Northeast.

Of course, Mr Bransgrove had the ECB 'compensation payment,' up his sleeve to buttress his offer. But said offer has paid no immediate dividends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2018 17:42 by Grockle.

Re: 2018 Current CC1 games
hantssabre (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 21:02
He did play a lovely shot for 4 to his first ball in the second innings but was out the next. Worcestershire have a decent seam attack and shouldn't be taken too lightly. They might even end up beating Hampshire. Looks like an interesting next couple of days although the weather forecast isn't great for tomorrow but 2 full days so far and really hot in the sun this afternoon

Hants01 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 13:27
One might have thought that the Somerset season of 2017 with a pitch controversy and a relegation battle might have yielded a bit of humility. Somerset are mightily lucky to be in Division 1. They might not be in it too much longer if a number of pundits are proven correct.

Northeast went to Hampshire and it was a logical choice. Staying in the South East, he knows many of the Hampshire players anyway, plays at a Test ground and he has also- although I despise the idea- cited Hampshire as a host of the new franchise.

Worcestershire need 324 to win and are 17-1 at present, in what I think is an evenly poised contest. Yes, Northeast has failed twice and given nobody so far has managed a ton, only Dawson and Livnigstone with one wicket each has given spin any wicket-taking representation, the scores have been very low, is Northeast's start surprising?

AGod (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 13:59
Hants will be lucky to stay in it this season, particularly in view of the extraordinary payment bestowed upon them by Mr Graves, C, in lieu of their having submitted good enough bids to win a Test.

Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 14:43
"plays at a Test ground". Ha ha 😂

AGod (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 14:46
hahahahahaahah

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 15:03
Quote:
Hants01
One might have thought that the Somerset season of 2017 with a pitch controversy and a relegation battle might have yielded a bit of humility. Somerset are mightily lucky to be in Division 1.

2016 *cough* Durham *cough*

AGod (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 15:11
Quite.. the sheer gall...

Somerset stayed up based on actual points attained on the cricket field.

Hampshire the year before?

Grockle (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 16:52
Pitch 'controversy' Hants?

What 'controversy'?

The inspectors looked at a pitch made a decision, were asked to look at it again under pressure from the losing side and stayed with their decision which Somerset accepted. Where was the controversy. We misread the age of a pitch and accepted the decision about it.

Surely the controversy wasn't with us but with our opponents pressuring the central board to get a decision reversed to keep them up. The rest is smoke, mirrors and bovine excrement of the male variety.

We gained the points to stay in Division 1 because we won enough games. We didn't have to rely on others so It wasn't luck and it certainly wasn't lost on the county how close we came - have you seen what has happened since then.

Any controversy was down to young Angus and his possibly inflated concept of his own influence at Lord's. We simply did our job better than his side did theirs.

(Sm72)

AGod (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 16:57
His side had made up their mind that they were sure to lose the moment that they saw the track (or at least the moment that our first innings ended), hence Adam Voges ostentatiously shrugging his shoulders at every other ball from our spinners, as though to insinuate that batting was absolutely impossible.

Had Middx actually knuckled down and fought hard then we may currently be 'looking forward,' to a season of CC2 cricket.

Hants01 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 21:53
Quote:
Shepton Paul 2
"plays at a Test ground". Ha ha 😂

Yes. Unless I am mistaken it will be hosting the Indians again this summer.

Much as I dislike Bransgrove, we have under his tenure, obtained an upgrade on Northlands Road. If the future is as dystopian as I, alas, think it is, we should be fire-proof. Those that need to worry are those without the Test grounds as we, in my view, move inexorably to a 'big eight' and the rest act as feeder clubs (if they survive at all).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2018 22:02 by Hants01.

Hants01 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 22:00
Quote:
AGod
Hants will be lucky to stay in it this season, particularly in view of the extraordinary payment bestowed upon them by Mr Graves, C, in lieu of their having submitted good enough bids to win a Test.

Bransgrove told the local paper down here 'discussions are continuing' [with the ECB]. It's proposed we would get £500k for each year we don't stage a Test.

You seem to be salivating at the thought that we now have to be pay back £2.5m.

'Discussions' seems to be the operative word here about future payments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2018 22:02 by Hants01.

AGod (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 09:45
"Paying back £2.5 million"???

Are you telling me, then, that Hants have already received five such payments of half a million a pop?

As I understand it, they are currently due one (Glamorgan have already been given theirs) as some sort of 'compensation,' for not getting Tests. It is this payment that has been the subject of controversy. The controversy has centered around an alleged lack of consultation and agreement over the making of the payment.

So far as I'm concerned there are other issues too, particularly the apparent double-standard viz a viz Durham, whose own financial problems (and subsequent penalty which kept Hants in CC1) were, in no small part, a product of the ECB's headlong rush to encourage counties to develop international grounds even though the ECB seems to have no intention of providing enough quality internationals to grounds to sustain the counties that have gone down that route.

Our own county have, arguably, been duped by the ECB into believing that, if we developed our ground, there would be some sort of rich seam of potential ODIs in our future. As per our former Chairman, there are even claims that we were told that we'd get some of the city rubbish (personally, I don't want any of it and Graves can shove it where the sun don't shine). I strongly suspect that this misunderstanding on behalf of our club was one of the reasons behind our DISGRACEFUL decision to vote in favour of the city drivel.

The ECB has, in my view, behaved abominably in trying to encourage all and sundry to develop international grounds, even though it seems to have no intention of providing enough 'big draw,' fixtures to sustain the presence of so many grounds around the country. It has, as so often with those clowns, been an object lesson in how NOT to do things.

It is not, however, appropriate for the ECB to dish out these bail-out payments in these circumstances, IMO. After all, the costs of the actual upgrades to grounds themselves should have been met by responsible financial planning and no county should have budgeted for events to be held unless in possession of some form of written guarantee (not warm words on the phone) from the ECB. These payments smack, to me, of the buying off of potential dissent as the ECB cannot risk having any unhappy campers *inside* the tent of those in line to host the city garbage.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 10:14
I think that is what is being challenged.

I read somewhere (I can't now find it) that it is written in the rules that all eighteen counties should be treated equally, that doesn't seem to be what is happening with all the money handouts to some counties.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 10:28
Yorkshire V Essex abandoned without a ball bowled.

Tough luck on both of them. The weather is just one of the uncontrollable factors that is so frustrating for fans.

Starting the season a little later would help, too.

AGod (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 10:48
The info given kept saying "Wet Outfield," every day as the reason for no play.

If that's really true, that doesn't seem very impressive for a Test ground?

AGod (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:34
Lancs, unsurprisingly, rushing headlong toward defeat at home to Notts.

AGod (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:35
So, it looks like Hants and Notts will be at the top after the first round.

Notts have more depth to their seam bowling so would seem to me to be a better bet to be able to sustain a good start.

Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:40
... and I am anxiously predicting that Somerset will be equal bottom of the table when this round of matches is completed.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Bagpuss (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:42
Lancashire reprising their final-day-of-the-2010-season performance against Nottinghamshire with Harry Gurney playing the role of Ryan Sidebottom and Shiv Chanderpaul playing the role of Shiv Chanderpaul.

It's like déjà vu all over again, as a gentleman of this parish would say.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net