cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Grockles.com
Watcher at the End of Time
Grockles.com (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 19:43
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/04/2018 04:03 by Grockle.

chunkyinargyll
Re: Watcher at the End of Time
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 20:10
Everyone knows the knack is to gain more customers than you lose.

If a tv programme's viewing figures are falling, you might want to tweak the format, or replace the main presenter, but before you do anything drastic you check with the focus group (dedicated fans). If you have 6 million viewers, and want to get to 7 million, it is no good attracting 1 million new viewers if you lose 2 million existing viewers, because overall you go down to 5 million.

The saddest thing is these fools don't see there is a downside (lose existing people). All they see are a mythical group of people for whom 120 balls an innings was too much, but 100 balls is just right, and who won't care the teams have no historical significance at all. I really don't know where these people are, but the ECB seems certain they exist.

The downside of course is if life long fans don't renew their county memberships, because there may only be 12 championship matches, the 50 over game becomes a 2nd XI competition, as the best players won't be available and if your club's ground has been selected for the franchise stuff then you will see no county cricket at your main ground for six weeks. All your home fixtures will have to be at outgrounds, for the benefit of this wonderful new competition, that no other country in the world has felt it necessary to introduce.

Any runs or wickets can't go on official records, as it's not T20, so like Packer cricket, and apartheid cricket, the top players can entertain, but I don't see how the figures can ever be 'official' (and that sort of thing will matter to overseas players trying to decide if it's worth their commitment).

Oh- and it's England. It will probably rain. You can't recreate the IPL, or the Big bash in Birmimgham. It can't be done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2018 20:13 by chunkyinargyll.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 20:28
Well we seem to agree on something.

It does seem daft though however you analyse it.

Unless of course they have some amazing data.

But you would think they would share it if they did.

(Sm72)

Streeter
Streeter (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 21:47
That's what I've wondered about, is there any market research that has shown this to be a good idea ? If it's there and it backs up their argument why has it not been published ?

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 21:50
They could tell us. But then they'd have to kill us.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 21:55
Like they are killing the game.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 22:09
They did do the market research. I know because there was lots of talk about how they were doing it. And they've never revealed what it said... wonder why!?

I remain livid with the counties for voting this garbage through.

That Bloke With The Dog
21 April, 2018 23:27
They could do what they want, if it were for just two or three weeks at the height of summer - 100 balls, T10, T20, I don't mind. Let's see whether it brings in the money and/or new viewers or not - no harm done.

But six bloody weeks! That's the whole problem. It can only be accommodated by destroying the County Championship, along with the ten provincial counties at the same time. The competitions, seasons and traditions that have led to eighteen first-class counties being spread all around the land are being wilfully destroyed.

Of course, the whole thing could easily be fitted into a two or three-week window, and a lot of fun and excitement it would be too. But that wouldn't serve the purpose of dismantling county cricket, hence, I presume, the addition of a women's competition to pad everything out.

Another point I'd like to make concerns the reason behind the worldwide popularity of all these T20 "Premier Leagues". Don't underestimate their brilliance as a medium for gambling, and the astronomical amounts bet on these matches in Asia. With gambling on cricket being largely illegal in the sub-continent, I don't think many of us appreciate the staggering sums nevertheless bet in India and Pakistan on cricket televised from around the world, and the extent to which T20's qualities as a gambling medium drive its popularity among the masses. You get a hint of it via the sums matched on Betfair in this country. Every IPL T20 game sees 70 or 80 million pounds matched, with upwards of £30 million matched even on games in leagues you probably never even knew existed, such as the Tamil Nadu Premier League. Now, the bulk of those sums is merely hedging money from the illegal Asian markets - in fact, it's likely to be money hedged originally in the UAE being hedged again via UK intermediaries. The sums actually being bet in the first instance dwarf those mentioned above. And that's just on the final outcome of the match, which is a minor market in Asia.

My point is that we find it hard to understand, from the viewpoint of a county devotee, how franchises could be created from nothing, turn over most of their playing squads every 12 months and routinely find themselves mired in corruption, yet attract such massive and fanatical support. The answer is that none of all that matters when your primary focus is on whether the next delivery will be a no ball.

This wouldn't be a concern, were it not for the fact that the ECB seem to think that the IPL crowds have overnight become genuinely fanatical devotees of these franchise, so the same would happen here.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 23:45
An interesting point TBWTD. Amusing in the context of a conversation today when i discovered under ECB anti corruption rules no employees of a county (and that includes office staff and I dare say Brian the Cat) can enter any Fantasy Cricket competition.

Also there were some hoops that needed jumping through for the club to be able to transmit the live stream, with betting in mind.

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 00:14
The market research is something to do with a new audience. That have been deprived of free to air live cricket on tv. And no longer play the sport at schools. Focusing on 'Mums and Kids' (their words not mine).

People targeted are those not from Durham. Also have trouble counting to 6. It's about futureproofing, creating a global entertainment brand, going to a place where the sun doesn't shine. Above all ignoring what the majority of cricket supporters want or would have voted, talking down to us

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 01:49
Focussing on mum's and kids by destroying many of the strides made by women's cricket by seems s little extreme.

Isolating it to a format no one else plays at domestic level (because this 100 finishes the present female T20 competition by 2020) will do that to a great extent while also probably giving it only marginal coverage in the new system. It takes the control back in some ways and changes the dynamic between the women and their governing body.

Where is the joined up thinking that does not relate just to the profit margin?

Edited because it was 6am jumbled garbage

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/04/2018 08:30 by Grockle.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 07:50
The really funny thing, La La La, is that if they want to get lots of mums and kids into grounds, they'll have to get rid of the lager set (the ones who only come to drink and barely even watch the cricket).... said lager crowd are the only current attendees who might be entirely unperturbed by the fact that the teams they are watching are artificial nonsense with no history or meaning behind them.

Somerset LaLaLa
22 April, 2018 08:05
The ECB Commercial / Marketing T20 Banana is Sanjay Patel, with a background at Heineken and skills including change management. He wants to oversee a major cultural change in the business strategy for pear cake having successfully finished off the nice gateau place at Paddington station

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 08:32
They also spend oodles of boodle as they drink themselves into early evening stupours. Saves on police I suppose.

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 09:07
Does anyone know whether it really is proposed that these city based teams will draft a new set of players each year?

If so, this will obviously be daft from a point of view of building a following for the new teams. We all of us realise that. The ECB, presumably, don't care.

But they must, surely, care about selling replica shirts for this great commercial bonanza that they are so confidently expecting?

Perhaps they hope that fans will identify with individual players only and think that, by moving them to a different team each year, parents will happily fork out for five different Kieron Pollard shirts (for example) over five years?

But what the ECB don't seem to have considered is that not only will the city dross be a radical departure from the lines along which cricket has been organised in this country for the past 100 years BUT a system in which a team changes almost all of its players every year would also be a radically different system to that which has built loyalties to ANY team in ANY sport in this country. Including... you know... those football supporters that the ECB is so desperate to win over...

Now, in actual fact, if Manchester United changed all of their players every year then maybe many fans *would* stay loyal to that club because of its history, traditions etc...... but with 'clubs,' that have no history or tradition? How would they fare if they have a completely new playing staff every year? Surely the only way to build a loyal following for a 'club,' that is completely new would be to have a set of players around whom supporters could rally over an extended period of time?

I get the impression that the ECB think that there's an army of people out there who can't be bothered to develop allegiances to anything (so won't be bothered by constant player churn, no history of the clubs etc) but that, somehow, will regularly attend games anyway!? Just because the product is so intrinsically exciting! Or, perhaps the model is based on the utter ludicrousness of attracting "one-off," fans to x or y home games per year!?

We all know that there are many, many T20 games that are dull as ditch water (principally those in which the side batting first loses loads of early wickets or those where the side batting first makes a massive total and the side batting second loses loads of early wickets). I'd estimate that only about 1 in 75 T20 contests proves unpredictable when either of the above situations obtains (an example of the 1 in 75 being the Pollard game at Lord's).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 22/04/2018 09:09 by AGod.

cricketharris
cricketharris (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 11:04
An article in todays Sunday Times suggests that it is the BBC, who will show only ten games live, want to shorten the game ( evidently to be called The Hundred!) to 90 minutes. Bowling 10 concecutive overs from the same end so that time isn’t wasted by fielders having to change position was also muted. Simon Wilde, the writer of the article, says that wahat the players think will be crucial to what happens next.
I wonder what the craziest suggestion will be next Four stumps, he suggests.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 11:10
No dismissals.

Each side to just nominate its two best batsmen, let them swing away and if they're "out," simply subtract ten runs from their total.

Would save time on batsmen going on and off...

Also a 100 ft high steel cage to encase each ground, lest the ball be lost if it be hit out of it.

Don't want any delays - Aunty has Points of View or some other drivel to show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/04/2018 11:14 by AGod.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 11:10
More of a joke day by day. Except it isn't funny unfortunately

(Sm72)

chunkyinargyll
22 April, 2018 11:17
The ECB are despirite for free to air terrestrial coverage, which means the BBC can call the shots.

And Sky won't share coverage of the other competitions, because they feel cricket fans have to subscribe if they want to see any live cricket.

Apparently Strauss has said this is to appeal to mums and kids, which is a bit patronising,as they obviously can't get their pretty little heads around complicated stuff like 20 overs a side.

And 100 overs so kids can get home early (so nothing to do with BBC 2 wants it over by 9 pm so it can get on with normal programmes).

Rumoured they were thinking of not having LBW's (too complicated for new punters to understand).

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 12:04
I'm sure they'll do away with lbw.

RRANDREWS
Old Boy! (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 12:19
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
..........Apparently Strauss has said this is to appeal to mums and kids, which is a bit patronising,as they obviously can't get their pretty little heads around complicated stuff like 20 overs a side.

And 100 overs so kids can get home early (so nothing to do with BBC 2 wants it over by 9 pm so it can get on with normal programmes)..........

I believe we may have misunderstood who is behind this mad mad world - of course whoever was in charge of the whole set-up when our England team has gone down the swanee, would clearly want something to distract our attention from the huge mistakes made by the management team in selection for our England team? Andrew Strauss of course, because surely HIS job should be on the line. We had assumed (at least I had) that the mad world was the work of Messrs Graves and Harrison - but of course the ring leader would have to be Mr Strauss.

So the whole of the summer period is to be sacrificed on the temple of Mums and Kids!!
No mention of real cricket supporters - no offence meant to the ladies, many of who are, apparently very happy with the present set-up of 4 day, 1 day and T20.

The thing about the kids always makes me laugh - you come to watch a good game of cricket and half the kids are playing knock about behind the stands, or queuing to buy chips!.

You really couldn't make this rubbish up because it is true. Answer - sack the ECB and let the Real Counties take over. It appears that the present plans are to save the Test matcvh Counties from going bankrupt.

Old Boy!

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 12:26
Re: the kids.

The first professional cricket match that I ever attended was when I was about 8. We were visiting my nan, and my dad took me to see Middx vs The West Indies at Lord's - a day of a 3 day tour match.

I recall thinking that the play seemed sooooooooooooooooooooooo far away.... too far away, on that occasion, to really hook me.

All these big grounds in the cities may have a similar effect on these 'kids,' that are the target for this nonsense.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 12:32
My real cricket was at Taunton on the grass of the Stragglers listening to the banter going on between the fielder and the crowd literally on the boundary. My kids (5 and 7) loved that concept as well. Being able to go around the boundary getting signatures on paper or the little bats.

It's all a little different when you are halfway up a stand with a gap between the stewarded fence and the actual playing area.

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 12:42
Yep, agreed.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 12:52
I think Tractor should lead a march to Lords to protest to the ECB.

Grizzzly

stevecav
stevecav (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 16:37
The saddest thing of all for me is that this whole debacle will go ahead despite the almost universal condemnation because the ECB will never admit they have got it wrong.

Somerset LaLaLa
22 April, 2018 17:28
From the Western Storm news item:

"We are all excited by the prospect of the new 100-ball tournament, despite neither Taunton or Bristol being selected as a host venue for the men’s competition, and we are delighted that both venues could very well be staging fixtures in the women’s competition."

All excited, Andrew Cornish? How about the members? What are you on?

chunkyinargyll
22 April, 2018 18:59
Derbyshire CEO interviewed during match against Middlesex emphasised 'mums and kids' again (so presumably they must all be single mums. Single men drinking beer not the target audience (will they be putting up 'Keep out' signs!!!)

Also mentioned- preliminary discussions about the possibility of Nottinghamshire playing some home games at Derby, as Trent Bridge will be requisitioned (my word, not his) for 6 weeks, so Notts fans will have to travel to another city for home games.

We are officially described as 'the grey market'

chunkyinargyll
22 April, 2018 19:02
Oh- and ECB want the 'best playing the best' so even if no one turns up it will help us become the best T20 side in the world (shouldn't that be 'best 16.4 overs team in the world?')

They can't even get their alibi's straight!

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 20:12
You couldn't make up this level of stupidity.

Has anyone told the ECB that many kids (and certainly the ones with the wealthier parents) will be away for a fortnight on holidays (many of them overseas) at the time that the ECB plans to play this abomination? Last I checked, the kids tend to take their mums with them on holiday.

Oh, and August is one of the wettest months of the year, in many parts of the UK, so it will probably pour for most of the time, especially in Manchester, Birmingham and Cardiff, each of which is amongst the wettest cities in the country.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net