cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Somerset LaLaLa
CC1 vs Yorkshire, Taunton.. Team Selection and More
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 08:24
Not expecting many people will come to this thread given the ECB says the tournament doesn't matter haha.

Anyway as over 5,000 came to see us beat Worcestershire last weekend and more watched online worldwide...

Are we better at batting first? Will Tom give a Captain's innings? Is Jack in the side to support our centurions? Who will take a 5-for?

And team selection, if it ain't broke then don't. Unless you are in a silo at Lord's.

All welcome to post, not just Mums and Kids. We love you Yorkshire, birthplace of Matt Renshaw, but we love Somerset more

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2018 15:31 by Grockle.

That Bloke With The Dog
Re: CC1 vs Yorkshire, Taunton.. Team Selection and More
23 April, 2018 09:13
Just the one spinner again, with conditions forecast to be unpleasantly cool. Could be hard for a finger spinner to grip the ball. I'd stick with Leach for this match, simply because the Yorkshire middle order comprises solely right-handers.

If Byrom's shoulder can't be risked, then I'd be looking to Renshaw to open and a recall for Trego. You can't keep naming an XI for the whole season without Pete Trego and still call it a Somerset team. Them's the rules.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 09:20
Would love to see Dom Bess in the team but how/where ?

Given that Jack wasn’t even asked to bowl until the very end of the Worcs game, it’s tough to see how DB gets in, unless the pitch is very different.

Some runs from EB and SD would be welcome.

Grizzzly

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 09:23
If EB is injured, I guess another option would be for Tom to revert to opening with Marcus and bring in Trigger (who has an excellent track record v. York’s.) at number five.

Grizzzly

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 09:25
If Eddie's shoulder is still bad, how about Renshaw at 2, Abell 3 and Bess 6? (Though TBwtD's comment on Trego is quite right too).

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 10:08
I'd be cautious about promoting Dom as a prospective batting replacement at this stage of his career. For that is what we will need if Byrom is unfit for Friday (and with Jack bowling just 10 balls v Worcestershire don't kid me we need his extra bowling)

A first class century in the Champion County match is a fine thing. But it will be a lot different batting in April at Taunton to the slow turner of Rumbai.

If they don't want to move Tom back to the top 3 (and on balance I'd be reluctant) then Renshaw to open and Bartlett at 3 would be another possibility.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 12:00
I fear that Renshaw opening and Bartlett at three is the solution that they would alight upon. But I'd rather Tom three and Peter at six.

I'd also rather we try to prepare something dry that turns. I can't really believe George Dobell's idea that we've decided to go away from that to try and keep LG happy - it would be a nonsense. Pitch strategy must be determined by what gives you the best chance of winning games. In an era when the away team can insert the home team without a toss, that strategy really shouldn't be grassy tracks for Somerset.

Yes, we beat Worcs. But they're a strong bet to finish last (a stronger one than Yorkshire. For example, their number three hasn't managed so much as a single 50 since September 2016!!). And, if Worcs had been able to catch James Hildreth, then there's every chance that we wouldn't have prevailed in that one.

We do not have a relative advantage in seam bowling compared to other teams (Worcs pretty much matched us in seam bowling in the recent game, for example), but we have an *overwhelming* relative advantage in spin bowling.

So, I for one, don't want to see lots of grass and four seamers again vs Yorkshire. IF we follow that approach, I think there's a strong chance of coming unstuck against the likes of Brooks and Coad.

So I'd still far rather have a dry track and two spinners and I hope that the first track was a kind of weather-related accident rather than a misguided attempt to alter our strategy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/04/2018 12:02 by AG on apple.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 12:04
The other thing that will bear watching will be Trescothick in the slips.

If the first game was just a blip? Fine.

If not? Then there's a huge problem as you can't very well field him anywhere else, can you?

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 12:29
Here are the numbers on the seamers picked by the two sides for the round just finished in our case (or finishing today in the case of the Yorkies).

I don't know whether they'll have to play J Shaw vs us, or whether they will have somebody else back and available again?

Somerset

Cove - Ave 26.76, S/R 51.2

LG - Ave 27.88, S/R 48.6

Tim - 29.72, S/R 57.6

Josh - 28.73, S/R 55.1

Yorks

Brooks - ave 27.25, S/R 46.8

Coad - ave 21.16, S/R 43.6

Bresnan - ave 30.98, S/R 59.9

Shaw - ave 39.39, s/r 60.4

-----------------

So, pace wise, the only relative advantage would be Davey vs Shaw (if they're forced to pick Shaw again, they may not be).

Statistically, there's relative disadvantage with the new ball.

And if we prepare something well grassed and juicy, there's a stone-cold certainty that Yorkshire will simply send us in, and it seems unlikely that they would drop a succession of sitters a la Worcs.

Our relative advantage of Davey vs Shaw, may count for nothing if we're 5 or 6 down by the time Shaw has to bowl.

Now, spin wise? What do Yorkshire have?

Azeem Rafiq - ave 39.49 and S/R 74.6

And what do we have?

KING Jack - ave 26.33 S/R 59.33

Dom - ave 21.4, S/R 41.3!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPOT THE RELATIVE ADVANTAGE THAT WE HOLD HERE.

So, IF, it's possible for Simon Lee and team to produce a turner, then the determination of which strategy to follow really should be a no-brainer....

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 15:13
Considering that last season we were (supposedly) going with the prepare-a-turning-pitch policy it was a strategy that didn't exactly pay off. I suspect this was more to do with the fact that the English climate is not conducive to producing such pitches in April. And this spring has bern even wetter than last year.

I'd be happy come Friday with a pitch offering some pace and bounce. If prevailing conditions on the day means it swings so be it. And tell the batters to leave all their fancy shots in the locker till the white ball stuff and PLAY STRAIGHT!

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 15:31
That's as maybe, but we've certainly shown we can do it later in the season and it would be folly if we really have abandoned that as a strategy, as per the sort of comment that George D has made in his reports to that effect.

Last season was one of almost unprecedented batting failure with everybody out of form at the same time (apart from Elgar). And I don't think we can put that at the door of the turning tracks because the first few games (home and away) didn't do that much... the rot had already set in by the time we got to the turning track stage of the season.

Somerset LaLaLa
23 April, 2018 16:19
How about,

Yorkshire win toss and bat first, scoring 256
Then, Marcus makes over 40 whilst Yorkshire hold a few catches
Matt Renshaw has worked out he doesn't need to do much to top Somerset's batting averages
More runs are piled on by the visitors
When all seems lost, Dom comes to bat thinking of the Lions

That's enough jinxing, but don't expect a pushover as we need to bat and field better than with Worcs

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 16:31
We do.

nelliec
nelliec (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 19:41
Like I said yesterday , a lot depends on whether they use the same wicket as the Worcester game as it is only 2.5 days old.Mike might be able to confirm yes or no if it's the same pitch.
In which case bat I would bat first and bring in Roelof or Bess instead of an injured Byron.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 23:12
Regarding the Yorkshire match pitch, I haven't looked yet to see what pitch it will be played on.

In say that, according to the rules the same pitch can't be used for two consecutive first class match within seven days of the finish of the first match. So it should be a different pitch.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 06:57
Yes. We might get the Worcs pitch out again for whatever our next home CC fixture is (after the Yorkies).

Somerset LaLaLa
24 April, 2018 08:03
Gosh is our next (after next) home CC game that far away? Yorkshire don't play in the competition again at Headingley until August 29th against ?

You can have your shiny silver button back if you guess correctly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2018 08:06 by Somerset LaLaLa.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 10:02
Good grief. I had to look it up (so you can keep the button). I assumed you were joking, but you were not. Yorkshire really aren't playing a CC match at Headingley until Wed Aug 29 against us - absurd. Disgraceful.

As a separate point, it doesn't suit us to play at Leeds. We almost never win there. I always want to see us at North Marine Road instead.

Roger ivanhoe
Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 11:01
lack of home games at Headingley could well be due to this.

Live Cam

tractor
Tractor (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 11:43
I remember our Headingley fixture scheduled for mid Sept 2008 was hastily rearranged to Scarborough at short notice so they could 'do something to their pitch'!

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 13:30
Well let's hope they do the same again.

Wimborne John
Wimborne John (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 13:38
Team for Friday's start vs Yorkshire.

If Eddie Byrom's shoulder injury means that he has to miss the game, it might be good to try a Left and Right [or far right] combination opening the batting. Possibly bring in a couple of other local players too. As Jack only bowled a couple of overs on the early season Taunton wicket, it might be an idea to give a debut to a local mystery spinner and possibly also to a wicket keeper who could no doubt give some challenging encouragement to the rest of the team.

So my team would be-

M. Trescothick
J. Rees-Mogg
M' Renshaw
J. Hildreth
T. Abell [c]
T. Seymour [wk]
L. Gregory
C. Overton
J. Davey
J. Archer
T. Groenewald

C. Graves [Twelfth Man]

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 13:48
I'd have Cleese J in that team.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Somerset LaLaLa
24 April, 2018 13:59
but playing 50 over and T20 at Headingley throughout the season

Who are Caddick Construction?

cricketharris
cricketharris (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 14:00
Local weather forecast looks decidedly rainy over the weekend although it’s sufficiently far off for their opinions to change,of course. A truncated draw otherwise.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 15:39
Caddick Construction are part of the Caddick Group, who bought Headingley back I the 90s. The cricket ground was sold -iirc to a company set up by Colin Graves, who then leases it to YCCC. The Caddick Group still own the rugby ground and Leeds Rhinos rugby league team.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 15:56
Yes, Paul Caddick, rather than Andrew of this parish.

9th brother Dredge
9th brother Dredge (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 20:23
Quote:
Wimborne John
So my team would be-
M. Trescothick
J. Rees-Mogg
M' Renshaw
J. Hildreth
T. Abell [c]
T. Seymour [wk]
L. Gregory
C. Overton
J. Davey
J. Archer
T. Groenewald

C. Graves [Twelfth Man]

Have we signed Jofra Archer?

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 20:28
Yes, we swapped JIm Allenby for him.

Good deal, no?

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
25 April, 2018 00:57
Is Archer a spinner?

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net