cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

MESSAGES->author
Just an aside
Grockle (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 20:09
Just a mention as it doesn't happen everyday.

I'll take this off tomorrow but just wanted to share that my boy Simon is presently in Pasadena California because in the early hours of tomorrow morning he's up for an EMMY!!

It may be for sound editing on a pre school animation show called 'Stinky and Dirty' but I thought that as the technicians get little enough coverage from the ceremony I'd put it out to as wide an audience as I can.

Quite proud to boot so I'll waste a little time crowing for him and for a 27 year old he's worked damned hard to be there so he deserves people to know.

Please allow me the indulgence. It will have gone before the second day starts.

(Sm60)

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 28/04/2018 11:39 by Grockle.

Phrench Phil
Re: Just an aside
Phrench Phil (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 20:38
Good Luck to your son.
If you cannot indulge yourself when in a position of power....

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 20:38
Many congrats. to Grockle Jnr. !

Grizzzly

P.S. Maybe we should have some end of season Emmy's on here ?

Possible categories could include:

1) Best comment of the season.

2) Best rant of the season.

3) Best close of play report of the season.

4) Best Photo of the season.

5) Best dressed Grocklee.

6) Farmer Whites special annual award for brevity.

7) Most posts in a day award (already awarded for life, to AG).

8) The Tom Seymour annual award for good manners & decorum.

9) Seasons's earliest prophecy of doom award.

10) LoL's special longevity award (open to all centenarians).

All most definitely T.I.C. !

Grizzzly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/04/2018 20:53 by Grizzzly.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 20:43
Too true Phrench. Not many people here in Oman to spread it around - "What is Emmy?" Though the kids I teach are excited about it!!

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 21:03
I don't know Grizzz you may be on to something.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/04/2018 21:03 by Grockle.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 21:46
Fingers crossed, Grockle. Personally, I see no need to take this thread down (or, at least, not immediately) - I’m sure that others, who have yet to see your post, will be very pleased to learn of your son’s success.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 21:54
Yes, leave the post around for a while and do a bit of basking. (Not an activity being enjoyed at Taunton today). Hope the lad does well.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 22:30
Well done to the young man. The previous generation must take some of the credit, surely?

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 23:07
Surely the Grockles equivalent of an Emmy is a Stumpy.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 23:10
A Grumpy maybe.

(Sm72)

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
28 April, 2018 00:21
Leave the thread up Grockle.

We should celebrate success. Shout it loud and shout it clear.

I would say more but I am desperate to win my own award in the Grizzly Oscars.

Working on it long and hard.

Farmer

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
28 April, 2018 00:47
Successful sperm should be applauded.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
28 April, 2018 03:51
How about a 'Grumple'?

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
28 April, 2018 08:23
I nominate Grizzly for the Best Comment

Then we need a best post by Young Person award, first to mention Johann Myburg during a game and Andrew Strauss award for most ridiculous post.

The Earliest Prophecy of Doom will make for an interesting New Year

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
28 April, 2018 11:39
I'll take note of the idea and see if we can run with it a bit. May have to extend the gofundit bid if we need awards (presently stalled at a gratefully received £230 which pays for Mike for the next 2 years at least).

Si didn't get the ultimate award early this morning but being nominated is a huge boost to his rep( only Emmy nominated sound editor in Ireland isn't bad) and the experience was certainly one not to miss.

Thanks for allowing the indulgence. I'll keep the thread until I can make notes and have time to contemplate expansion.

While we are here did I post about the fact that for the third year running we are represented in Wisden on page 1077 (I think). Besides our 2013 150th appearance we have produced the Omani page in 2016, 2017 and now 2018.

(Sm72)

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
28 April, 2018 13:24
The Scrumpies? Or maybe, if the awards are modelled in gold based on a famous figure, the Tractors

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
28 April, 2018 15:52
Yeah. I try and avoid any cider reference becauae too many in this game call us the 'cidermen' which I know gets up some posters' noses (including mine). But Tractors or Combines on plinths might be a good idea.

(Sm72)

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
28 April, 2018 16:05
Ipswich Town are the Tractor Boys. This convinces me that Tractor's second favourite team must be Ipswich.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
28 April, 2018 17:08
I may be wrong but I don't think that is true.

(Sm72)

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
28 April, 2018 17:52
Congrats to the lad 👍

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
28 April, 2018 18:02
Bravo Grockle Jr (?Little Bird). Leave the thread here as long as you like Grockle, proud parenting cannot be overdone.

@Grizz love your awards, though 4 and 5 would I suspect be pretty much non-events, for widely differing reasons.

Since offspring (or similar) are in focus, may I draw attention to the following?

[www.mumblecrust.com]

The Tale of the Cockatrice is a two-person show featuring acting, songs, puppetry and bloody brilliant storytelling, 100% self-created by my stepson and his girlfriend, which won two awards at last year's Brighton festival and several Highly Commendeds on the Edinburgh fringe.
Lots of shows very handily placed for Somerset residents, as you can see from the itinerary - anyone with young children or (probably a better bet in the present context) grandchildren, do not miss it!

Though, as with all great kids' literature/theatre, there is loads for adults to enjoy regardless of juvenile accompaniment.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
29 April, 2018 10:16
Good thinking Grizzzly on your awards list.

There are already 2 serious contenders for the award for "good manners and decorum" named in my honour, and this is not said TIC.

I would also like to suggest the Statler & Waldorf Muppetts Award for the best curmudgeonly double act appearing on here.

Much to consider in the next few months.

(Sm146)

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
29 April, 2018 17:09
Prize is your bus fare home.

But let's have a look at what you could have won, it's a speedboat

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
29 April, 2018 19:43
Wouldn't use the idea Tom if you thought it was in your honour so the (tic) is non negotiable I'm afraid.

You'd have to earn the right to be classified as part of the posting population first before you'd get a shot at any award we chose to offer.

Not there yet I'm afraid. That particular jury could be out for quite some time.

(Sm72)

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
29 April, 2018 22:57
You don't get it Grockle. The suggested award was for "good manners and decorum" which I suspect is an anathema to you.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
30 April, 2018 03:23
Oh I get it Tom.

I just don't see you providing it to others (hence the 'tic'. You yourself do get that I assume?) so see no reason to provide it to posters like yourself who are not yet here for the right reasons.

My manners towards you are much better usually than you deserve. There are others who wish I gave you much shorter shrift than I do believe me.

I also operate in 'good taste and propriety' with you almost all the time - again above and beyond what others would define as your due in relation to 'decorum'. I sometimes even have to remove you to maintain said requirements!!

It's a better start to the year so I am full of hope of course. A strong year gives you less opportunities and therefore less appearances.

Anyway it is all hypothetical this early. Here's to a good season in more ways than one.

(Sm160)

(Sm72)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 30/04/2018 08:33 by Grockle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net