cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11
nelliec
Three in a row.Dare to dream!
nelliec (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 11:14
So it's up north this Friday for a top v bottom game. Who would have thought two weeks ago which way round that would be!!
With Josh probably unfit one from Tregs ,Van Meerkat or Leachy probably.
Reports on the BBC that Jimmy Anderson is carrying an injury and probably won't be available. Chanderpaul also looks doubtful , so we might have caught lancashire at a good time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2018 19:44 by Grockle.

Bagpuss
Re: Three in a row.Dare to dream!
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 11:41
Mixed feelings about Jimmy Anderson. Whilst it is undoubtedly to Somerset's advantage if he is unavailable, I see any opportunity to watch him bowl as a privilege.

nelliec
nelliec (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 11:49
Article from the mail actually Bagpuss;

Jimmy Anderson has recently undergone ankle and shoulder injections
He may not return until May 11 - four days before first Test against Pakistan
The 35-year-old seamer has been the pick of England’s bowlers over last year
By Richard Gibson and Lawrence Booth for the Daily Mail

Jimmy Anderson could be short of match practice going into the first Test against Pakistan at Lord’s after having injections in his shoulder and ankle.

The 35-year-old remains a vital part of an England attack that failed to take 20 wickets in any of their seven winter Tests in Australia and New Zealand. He had been hoping to return to action for Lancashire in next week’s County Championship match against Somerset at Old Trafford.

But the importance of patching up an ageing body could now delay his reappearance until May 11, against Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge, in the final round of four-day matches before the Lord’s Test gets under way 13 days later.

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 11:57
Peter Trego 3-6 at Taunton Vale today against Surrey Seconds, who are 17-5.

I would certainly consider him to share the fourth seamer duties with Tom Abell at Old Trafford on Friday, if Josh Davey isn`t fit.

Somerset are giving a trial in this match to Rich Edwards, a 23-year-old fast bowler from Neath who has played for Glamorgan Seconds and Wales Minor Counties.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2018 12:10 by cricketjerry-mouse.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 12:02
Since Notts seem to be our biggest rivals for a possible CC1 title, right now, then Jimmy's return at Trent Bridge, his happiest hunting ground, may be doubly timely (in addition to the bonus that would be his absence from our game).

If we can win at OT, and then Lancs and Jimmy head south and beat Notts, that would be perfect.

Personally, I believe that OT will turn, since it almost always does.

The Surrey spinner took 4 wkts in the match just finished (Lancs only had one innings). Liam Livingstone was given 38 overs, even though Lancs had four seamers in their team. So either there must have been something in it for spin OR there wasn't enough in it for seam to justify bowling the seamers almost all the time.

I fervently hope that Jack is back to bowl in tandem with Dom for this one and, if not, I think we should consider picking VDM.

The conservative move would be to select Peter Trego but how often, in recent times, have military medium bowlers proven match-winners at Old Trafford? That's very seldom the case, I would suggest.

I know the pitches have lost some pace and carry since they made the mistake of changing the alignment of their square (sorry, but there isn't enough sun in Manchester to justify losing the attributes which, IMO, made it easily the best square in the country in terms of the type of pitches produced) but I still think that the track is most likely to suit bowlers that get bounce and spinners.

I'd expect Craig go to well up there, but I don't know that the track will suit the rest of our seamers as well, so two spinners for me.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 17:08
Trego would also offer the advantage of bolstering our batting.

Grizzzly

cricketjerry-mouse
01 May, 2018 17:18
Fin Trenouth is keeping wicket for Somerset Seconds for the second match running, so it looks as though Andy Hurry is viewing Tom Banton as a batter only for the present.

Surrey Seconds 206 all out, a recovery from 17-5. Five for Paul van Meekeren, three for Peter Trego and two for Roelof van der Merwe.

Somerset just started batting with Ben Green again opening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2018 17:48 by cricketjerry-mouse.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 12:28
Btw just want to put it out there that I see the title of this thread a pure jinxing 😨

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 14:10
The thread title has been approved by the ECB, it's ok apparently.

Four-in-a-row (Connect 4) presents more of a challenge and the strategy is really difficult, something to do with being in control of the middle

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 14:48
Couldn't it be interpreted as 'Two and One in a row'?

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 18:49
The ECB would most certainly *not* approve of Somerset winning CC1.

On the contrary, it would be *mightily* inconvenient for them, given their overriding desire to marginalize all those whom they deem to be too provincial, insufficiently urban etc..

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 18:50
In fact, maybe we can delay the abolition of the CC if only we can keep winning it - the ECB would surely then want to keep playing it again until Surrey, or similar, won it, so that they could say "SEE, only urban stuff is worthwhile."

Somerset LaLaLa
02 May, 2018 20:05
The reason the ECB are happy for us to jinx Somerset's performance. In fact they may well be giving supporters free Jinx-O-Matic devices soon so we don't keep winning.

I'm content with the current odds of around 7/1 to win CC1, Essex and Surrey are 3/1 and only a Worcs title would make you rich

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 20:16
Presently feeling quite happy with the 14/1 odds I got a few weeks ago when placing 20 quid on SCCC winning the Championship.

All way too early to even start thinking seriously about it of course, but the dreams don’t seem quite so fanciful right now.

Grizzzly

That Bloke With The Dog
02 May, 2018 20:18
I think a Championship for Somerset would be viewed by the ECB as proof that the Championship is worthless.

Hants01
Hants01 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 22:33
We know the two wins from the opening two games, represent Somerset's best start since 1993, so when- if at all- have they won their first three? It's near universally accepted that a good start is paramount, so Somerset tick that box. You might get some luck on Test calls too.

If Somerset do win it, it would do the competition a power of good- not that it really needs it in my view given 1) the BBC's figures for 'hits' on its w/site and listening figures for the Championship.

A new name on the Championship would invigorate the competiton, showing its relevance and resonance because the Somerset faithful would love a first title.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 03:03
I simply don't care what it would do for anything except the club and the players and supporters who have followed and represented this club. The rest be damned and the cards can fall where and among whom they may.

(Sm72)

cricketjerry-mouse
03 May, 2018 11:41
Paul van Meekeren and Roelof van der Merwe have been withdrawn from the third days` play in the Somerset Seconds-Surrey Seconds match at Taunton Vale today to travel with the first team squad to Old Trafford.

Van Meekeren took 5-27 in the Surrey first innings, and van der Merwe hit 121 off 103 balls when Somerset batted.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 12:26
Is Leachy still ill?

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 13:22
No he is not. Fully fit.
Assuming Eddie & Davey not fit along with jamie.
So should be last weeks 11.
Minus Josh.
Plus VanMeek Jack & RVDM = 13 by sounds of it.

Roll on 11am

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 13:39
Thank God for that, WSM.

Van Meekeren's figures in the first innings of the seconds game were certainly exceptional. If the OT track has bounce in it, as if often does, then that should suit him.

I wonder if the preponderance of RHBs (especially if Shiv is hors de combat) in the Lancs line-up might lie behind the inclusion of VDM... perhaps we intend to pick two SLAs, if the track is sufficiently dry, rather than Leachy and Dom?

nelliec
nelliec (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 14:34
Didn’t he ger some early wickets at old Trafford last year when we bowled them out cheaply

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 16:56
No, Cove got 5-37 and LG got some early wickets. And TG got 3 for virtually nothing.

But then the second innings turned into a 160+ over disaster from a bowling standpoint.

The thing with OT is that even if the first innings favours seam, the track is liable to be far less helpful in terms of seam movement later on. So you may not need any spinners in innings one if you can send the oppo in on a damp track, but you might need two of them in the second innings if the track provides little off the seam.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 19:56
And I guess that that conundrum about the OT pitch might explain the fact that we have four seamers (plus Tom) *and* three spinners in our squad for this one. It's certainly a squad selection that covers all of the bases.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 09:53
Apparently, Jimmy Anderson is expected to play for Lancs, contrary to earlier suggestions.

So Bagpuss might be happy to see him, our batsmen less so.

Phrench Phil
Phrench Phil (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 10:53
No doubt to the surprise of many on here, Somerset elected to toss, won it and have elected to bat facing Anderson, Bailey and co. under apparently cloudy skies.
I hope you know what you are doing Tom.

hantssabre
hantssabre (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 10:53
Won the toss and batting. RVdM playing

Following on
Three in a row.Dare to dream!
Following on (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 10:56
There is a live stream of teh game on the Lancashire CCC website

Somerset LaLaLa
04 May, 2018 10:59
Flat pitch? Jack Leach and RVdM - go Somerset

Phrench Phil
Phrench Phil (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 10:59
Has Jimmy Anderson gone grey rapidly or has he just bleached his hair?
I do recall some years ago he dyed his hair in support of Burnley FC.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net