cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
wsm fan
Jamie Overton
wsm fan (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 18:48
I have made no secret of my support for Jamie.

Article in the times today with "ones to watch"

Geoffrey Dean

Jamie Overton 24

Injured currently but the quickest bowler we have. After seeing him terrorize Yorkshire at Taunton last year, I asked David Millns, the umpire standing at his end, just how quick he was. Without even thinking about it, he came back: “Allan Donald.” Enough said.

Once he’s fit again, and firing, England can have a bowler that will give their attack a real cutting edge. His height (6ft 4in) means that he gets bounce, and he has a really combative fast bowler’s spirit. Overton bats a bit too, and is a strong outfielder with a powerful arm.

I have seen 90% at least of Jamie's appearances in the last few years and he just has it.
Many on here are doubters but he WILL be a fixture in the test side by next summer, and dont rule out the latter half of this summers India series either.....

Wickham
Re: Jamie Overton
Wickham (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 19:12
I agree, wsm, that he has great potential - and I too would love to see him firing on all cylinders soon. A genuinely quick bowler may have less advantage over other pace bowlers on damp April wickets - but I hope that he recovers quickly from his current injury and, dare I say, comes back reJovenated.

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 19:16
WSM Fan - "The pain that you've been feeling, can't compare to the joy that's coming." Romans 8:18.

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 19:23
Appreciate your championing of Jamie, but I would like to know a little bit more about his injury. The club update a week ago mentioned a Side Strain which in medical terms means absolutely nothing. I get side strains from every day activities, they usually go without too much fuss. So does anyone know more about his condition? There was a discussion about intercostal muscles a while back. Either way without knowing any solid facts, apart from that he ran around the pitch recently, it is difficult to have any idea of when Jamie may bowl regularly again

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 19:24
He was out again yesterday running around the boundary, as he past by I shouted out ' how is it going Jamie' without pausing he gave a thumbs-up.

I do hope that meant he was ok.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 19:38
Since Jamie and/or the club (the suspicion seems to be that it needed Chris Rogers to point out what nonsense this policy had been) finally twigged viz a viz pitching the ball up (over the past two seasons), his strike-rate has unsurprisingly improved significantly - to around 50 in limited action over the past couple of seasons, compared to a dismal 61 or 62 when he and/or those in charge of him still thought, wrongly, that the way to go was to bowl short on a regular basis.

We have no idea whether his pace is intact following his injury (last year's one, I mean) but we do know that he's found it enormously difficult to stay fit bowling at his old pace/with his old action.

I feel that, as he edges his way back from injury, he would be wise to focus on trying to get more movement, rather than relying on pure pace.

I think that many successful fast bowlers don't really bowl flat out all the time (the better to preserve themselves, fitness wise) - more often they bowl within themselves and slip themselves only when the situation demands. But if you're going to do that, you need to get a good deal of movement whilst bowling within yourself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2018 19:42 by AGod.

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 22:03
Wickham, that is truly dreadful. I love it.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 10:11
Whoever said that puns are the lowest form of wit had a puny sense of humour, which tempts me to ask whether one twin COVEts the other's pace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 11:30 by Loyal of Lhasa.

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 13:48
By Jove, Devon knows when we can dodge over these jammie jokes

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 18:01
Bowling today

6 overs 3-19.

Batting - scored 27

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 19:04
Against whom WSM?

You carry a torch for him, I don't!

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 19:27
I support all our players Tom and want them all to do equally well.
I have no agenda against any of them.....

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 19:29
Pre match club email says he will be playing tomorrow so you can look forward to seeing him too!

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 19:46
I'm not so sure you don't 'hold a torch' yourself Tom.

You seem to appear when anyone posts about him. I suppose it hits the nerve you are after maybe?

But good luck.to him tomorrow. He plays well we play well.

(Sm72)

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 21:12
But I repeat my question, who was he playing against today?

A simple one to answer I would have thought.

I shall be at the ground tomorrow to see him play then.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 21:25
Yes Tom a very simple answer for anyone with access to google, Bradninch cc for his home club side North Devon.

Lets be honest whoever it was your next post will be your normal dig at him.

I'll be there supporting all our XI whoever is selected. Fingers crossed for a similar performance to yesterday and the subsequent absence of certain posters afterwards.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2018 21:42 by wsm fan.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 22:46
Your paranoia re Jamie Overton knows no bounds, WSM. You are best left to wallow in it at your leisure.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 00:55
Then why don't you do that Tom? Then people may stop wondering about the motives behind your own obsession as well.

Let's see what the man can do on the pitch before we laud him or criticise him perhaps?

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 00:58
No pressure Jove.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 03:29
Yep. Tom and WSM expect..... 'The Verdict' by 8pm on this channel.

(Sm72)

Clarence Parker
20 May, 2018 10:27
Yes, I expect as well, so roll on 8pm when we can realistically debate.

Not a lot I should make clear.

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 10:45
So Jamie in the squad but not the eleven.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 12:13
Yep. Not going to happen today boys.

(Sm72)

Clarence Parker
20 May, 2018 18:52
Despite being named for today's game v. Glamorgan, I am not convinced that Jamie Overton was ever seriously in contention.

A quote from one of today's regional newspapers ('Sunday Independent') states "While the 24 year old pace bowler is unlikely to play, it is an indication he is close to a full recovery from the side strain that caused him to miss the start of the season.

"Head coach Jason Kerr said: "We have recalled Jamie to the squad because it is important for him to feel involved. He is progressing well but needs some cricket.

"The plan is for him to play in a 3 - day 2nd XI match against Glamorgam at Newport, starting on Tuesday, after which it is hoped he will be ready for first team selection again."

And so it continues.

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 19:03
Well he threw himself about in the field today or was i seeing things.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 19:15
Clarence is probably convinced that you were Nailsea

(Sm72)

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 19:33
He fielded for all 50 overs and was 100% commited as usual diving around. Hit the stumps from about 60 yards with a bullet throw too.
Davey went off after his spell & was flexing his leg between overs.
He did come back to field but dont be surprised if Jamie plays Tuesday.
We are playing so well its nice to have lots of options and maybe even rest Craig or Tim at some point having played every game so far this season.
Roll on Tuesday, we are FLYING!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/05/2018 20:41 by wsm fan.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 19:36
Yes Josh looked very tentative at the end of his spell so you may be right that he may not be playing on Tuesday.

(Sm72)

Ronniesabre
Ronniesabre (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 19:45
If these quotes from Kerr are correct Gregory comes back in Tuesday for Davey and then Overton comes in Friday . There is nothing to the contrary to suggest otherwise. Unless Gregory is also injured too in which case Overton has to come in . After Friday then we can look at rotating a bit more assuming Davey is going to be ok later in the week. Great start with 2 thumping wins !!!!

The Cake Taster
Botham (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 19:57
Very amusing incident today. Someone was moving behind the bowler's arm. There was a short delay while they worked out who and where it was, then Jove shouted, "he's behind The Old Man', much to everyone's amusement! At least I think that is what he said!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net