cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10
Grockles.com
Somerset Day. Ireland Day.........
Grockles.com (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 10:45
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 10:46 by Grockle.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Somerset Day. Ireland Day.........
Grockle (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 11:16
Good to see that Dom has appeared and has replaced the Meerkat in the side. Shame we couldn't get them both in but a good decision I think.

(Sm72)

cricketjerry-mouse
Hampshire A-Head
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:08
Eddie Byrom isn`t being given an outing with Somerset Seconds against Glamorgan Seconds at Taunton Vale today, so it look as though he may not be fit enough yet to be considered for tomorrow`s championship match with Hampshire.

Dom Bess, who took wickets and scored runs against Surrey Seconds on Tuesday, isn`t included either, so he may be preparing in the nets at the County Ground.

Hampshire are giving late tests to wicket-keeper Lewis McManus and Liam Dawson, both of whom suffered thumb injuries against Notts at the weekend.

One of their `finds` from last season, all-rounder Ian Holland made his return from injury for Hampshire Seconds this week but didn`t bowl, while Italy ODI international Gareth Berg was also back in action.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 18:29 by Grockle.

AG on apple
Re: Hampshire A-Head
AG on apple (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:14
Gareth Berg is an Italian international!?

cricketjerry-mouse
10 May, 2018 13:48
Although born in South Africa, Gareth Berg qualifies for Italy through his parents and has played for them in T20s since 2011

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 15:48
Squad for the Hampshire game. Davey faces a fitness test.

Tom Abell (c), George Bartlett, Eddie Byrom, Josh Davey, Steve Davies, Lewis Gregory, Tim Groenewald, James Hildreth, Jack Leach, Craig Overton, Matt Renshaw, Paul van Meekeren.

The Somerset County Gazette has a free entry voucher to any one of the four days as part of Somerset Day celebrations. Looks to be as simple as cutting it out and taking it to the gate. Applies to the Hampshire game only.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 15:56
Dont tell Hampshire fans that. At £18 on gate could cost the club £100 or even £150 in lost ticket sales!

No Dom in the squad. Not in 2s either today, fishy!?

Any news on Dawson?

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 16:08
Quote:
Farmer White
Squad for the Hampshire game. Davey faces a fitness test.
Tom Abell (c), George Bartlett, Eddie Byrom, Josh Davey, Steve Davies, Lewis Gregory, Tim Groenewald, James Hildreth, Jack Leach, Craig Overton, Matt Renshaw, Paul van Meekeren.

The Somerset County Gazette has a free entry voucher to any one of the four days as part of Somerset Day celebrations. Looks to be as simple as cutting it out and taking it to the gate. Applies to the Hampshire game only.
Seems a little odd to me naming the squad with all our injuries and the seconds playing today where someone may shine and warrant late consideration. Also Bess not involved in either the squad or the seconds - injured?

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 16:08
Byrom's back quickly, and with no fitness test apparently...

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 16:18
Very disappointing if Dom is really not in the squad.

Then again, the website has form for getting this sort of stuff wrong - remember they didn't even have the correct starting XI listed at Old Trafford (even though Beeb, Cricinfo etc did have the correct information). There are also only twelve names listed - do we usually name only 12 in the squad?

Can't see Davey being worth the risk if his fitness is sufficiently in doubt as to merit a test of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 16:20 by AG on apple.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 16:21
Maybe just maybe the squad isnt concrete.....

Several times in past years players not named in the squad have made the match day XI.

I would be most unsurprised if the team see's Eddie in for Marcus & Dom in for Paul, lets see at 10.30am.

cricketjerry-mouse
10 May, 2018 16:31
Liam Dawson not fit for Hampshire, but `keeper Lewis McManus, who injured a thumb at Trent Bridge, is in their squad, as is Mason Crane and Gareth Berg.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 17:37
All a bit odd re Dom Bess.

Any news re Jamie Overton’s injury/recovery ?

Grizzzly

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 18:34
Jamie is fighting fit and will be fully involved in the 50 over campaign, this in spite of Mr Seymour having already binned him off for the season.....

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 20:02
Out of curiosity where do you get your info on Jamie? Or this is another case of something horrible happening if you spill the beans

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 20:06
Overton, J has another sick note I am led to believe. Not fit yet anyway. And if he were, would he be risked to play?

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Cleavo
Cleavo (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 20:37
Any proof Tom Seymour or just another case where you are looking for a response?

Also, WSM fan surely Jamie will have to prove his fitness in the 2nds before he is considered for first team selection in 50 over competition. Don’t want to be rushing him back at the risk of him breaking down again.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 21:45
Take it or leave it Cleavo, and if I were "looking for a response" I got one from you didn't I?

Overton, J "breaking down again", where's your faith Cleavo? People tell me he is going to be a World beater!

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 22:19
Anyway... Another vague weather forecast for this weekend, band of rain about 5pm tomorrow might not amount to much, then showers possible sat and sun.

Cleavo
Cleavo (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 22:30
Simple question to your first post really Tom, which I got no answer to. Any proof? Reliable source?

Never mind all irrelevant really as club physio and management will make their own assessment.

The “breaking down again” comment was some words of caution from myself given Jamie’s injury and fitness record.

Anyway back on thread here’s hoping for a good 4 days v Kolpakshire/South Africa B weather permitting before the first break for white ball cricket.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 22:37
Lalala, WSM is a hotbed of information!
Quite often bowlers not playing are out practicing at the lunch and tea interval.
I assume you will be there all match Tom so maybe you could ask Jamie or one if his team mates (Craig!?) in person.
In my experience none of our players bite and are all extremely friendly if you are polite to them and ask questions. Same goes for Andrew Andy & Jason.
I am nobody important but do my research and obtain facts not wild speculation and false rumours.

Whoever your source is that suggests Jamie is injured again i suggest you serve him his P45.

If you all search hard enough you may just find his playing comeback has already begun.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 00:29 by wsm fan.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 07:02
Unfortunately, he will already have missed 28.5% of the CC season by the time the Hants game is done with.

That leaves him a maximum of 10 CC matches left to play this season. And, really, the smart money would be on him playing no more than the 6-7 games a season which has been his recent average. After all, even IF Jamie is fit for all ten games, it would seem highly unlikely that it would be prudent (given his history of back problems and role of bowling fast) to just pick him for game after game, given that they are packed in tightly, with little rest in between.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 07:35 by AGod.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 07:12
The next 5 are very spread out!
The last 6 are packed in but after 3 months knocking county batters heads off he will be flying......

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 07:23
If he is fit, he is a variation. I have no problem with using him sparingly as a shock and awe option.

It's when he's most effective and given Tom A's new job we don't have to bowl him to death.

I'm up to adding something else to turn to.

(Sm72)

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 08:46
Quote:
wsm fan
I am nobody important but do my research and obtain facts not wild speculation and false rumours.

Whoever your source is that suggests Jamie is injured again i suggest you serve him his P45.

If you all search hard enough you may just find his playing comeback has already begun.....

If he were not injured then he would be available for selection which he is not. Simple! Simple!

So disclose your facts. If you can't let it rest.

Cleavo says "The “breaking down again” comment was some words of caution from myself given Jamie’s injury and fitness record."

Surely that is a contradiction coming from you Cleavo.

And no, I won't be there for all 4 days, wsm. Tomorrow I shall be watching Somerset but at Rugby Union. Rejoice!

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:10
Yes he has been injured as reported but is now fit. You said he was reinjured which is as usual false.

Aa i say ask him or his brother today and im sure they will update you in person. But then why let facts spoil a false rumour hey!

Anyway onto Hampshire, hopefully yet another good day & as such you wont have any need to comment on yet another positive day as deserved praise is no fun.....

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 11:26
Bit of an odd decision to field given team selection, no?

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 11:42
True - unless they expect to only bat once? More confidence than I have if that is their thinking.

(Sm72)

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 11:45
Poor drop by Renshaw - Tres would have snaffled it

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 11:49
Personally, Nailsea, I agree with both aspects of the 'pick two spinners and bowl first decision.'

More often than not, Taunton gets flatter and there's often little or nothing there for the bowlers on day four. So it's usually better to get all of your bowling done within the first three days, IMO. Will this track follow that pattern? Who knows?

It does sound deliciously dry, this surface, which I'm delighted to hear.

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net