cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Moving from Muscat Minarets back to Bicknoller Towers for good in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

AG on apple
Re: Somerset Day. Ireland Day.........
AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 11:50
Tom Seymour - how do you know that Jamie is not available for selection?

It's now conceivable that he is both: a) fit and b) not selected.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:00
It sounds as though we've failed to bring our usual discipline to our bowling this morning? Too many four balls.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:07
Far too much in the 'short and wide,' or too straight categories at the moment.

One of our poorer bowling displays, as a unit, for a long time, I'd say.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:10
Time, soon, surely, to see if the spinners can provide rather more accuracy and discipline to proceedings.

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:10
Need to find some control - they're scoring at ~7 an over since the wicket went down

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:13
A good ball from Tom.............. *now* can they find the requisite discipline after the boost of a wicket?

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:31
Sadly, no signs of any turn at all for Leachy, thus far.

So we are likely to need a drastic improvement from our seamers before/after lunch or we may find ourselves in a very uncompetitive position in the match.

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:40
Well done Tom - main strike bowler!

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:40
Tom strikes again.

We've given away far too many runs BUT if we could get the prize wicket of Amla before lunch, then we'd take a lunchtime score of 125/4 or so, with Amla in the hutch.

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:55
Scoring has slowed to a snails pace. Another wicket now or straight after lunch will see us back in the frame

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 13:35
As predicted.....

Jamie in full bowling workout at lunch. Flying in come the end. I wouldnt fancy facing him!

No sign of you introducing yourself to him though Tom. Shame. I took a photo incase you missed it!

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 13:45
Well, I wonder if there's any chance of him playing at the Oval next week?

Under Maynard we seemed to rotate quite a bit in the 50 over stuff (bowling wise). Will Jason decide to continue in that vein?

With Lewis, Craig and Tim having played all four CC games to date then I'd have thought a case could be made for a bit of a rest, especially in the case of LG.

Watch this space..

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 13:54
Great wicket first ball after lunch but the 4's have started flowing again.
Come on Somerset - control, pressure, wickets please

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 13:59
Yep, nice present from Hash, but then some more poor short stuff.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 14:47
And a cricket brain (and the ability to execute like that) is precisely why room must always be found for one Dom Bess in the CC starting XI...

Great stuff, Dom.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 15:34
And if there were any lingering doubts about the wisdom of using Tom as fourth seamer (rather than a Davey or a Paul VM), to make certain that there is room for Dom in the team every time, then any such doubts are surely dissipating with each passing innings...

... There's no logical reason, really, to believe that either Josh or Paul would have produced better figures than Tom has today. I can see no reason to believe that Josh would have produced better figures than Tom did at Old Trafford and Paul, factually, did not do so.

That's not to say that Josh or Paul don't have a role to play, but I think it should be filling in for/rotating with the "3 main seamer" roles in the team.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 15:38
There was talk, during the last game, that Jason Kerr has been very much on Tom's case to make more of his bowling ... and doing so looks like it was a very good move on Jason's part and Tom has responded to his entreaties quite superbly, thus far.

Tom looks as though he has probably worked, extensively, on his bowling over the winter.. it's not just one yard but two that he seems to have put on.. and he may well have worked on swinging the ball, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 16:18 by AG on apple.

That Bloke With The Dog
11 May, 2018 15:52
This is essentially the dream bowling attack which AG called for after Abell revealed himself to be a front-line bowler against Worcestershire:
Gregory, an Overton, Groenewald and Abell, plus both Leach and Bess.

It's a huge bonus, having six proper bowlers, with the captain always having the option of another, similar type of bowler to turn to if someone's not having a good spell. Which appeared to be happening quite a lot while I was there this morning.

I've seen too many games against Hants at Taunton where a procession of Hampshire strokemakers have feasted on an out-of-sorts attack. It's been such a relief to see a Somerset captain have the resources to nip that sort of thing in the bud today.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 16:17
So the fitness of Jamie at the moment is an irrelevance because until he shows some form he would not probably get into this side except as a rota bowler.

Sorry Tom the bait is starting to smell a bit and you mat have to hope for a purple patch in the 50 over stuff WSM

(Sm72)

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 16:38
I couldn't get to the ground today but from the scorecard we don't seem to be doing too badly even if the control was a bit dodgy at first, and Tom has certainly done us proud again. My impression in the Yorkshire game was that he was a lot quicker than when I last saw him and was swinging it more too. 9 wickets at 8.44 to date this season>

Unfortunately I very much doubt there'll be any more play today as where I am in West Devon it's being raining very steadily since lunch time (and poor Ireland, further west still, had their whole first day rained off), so it looks like there's a very solid, or rather liquid, belt of rain moving up from the West.

Forecast for tomorrow would appear to be dry if none too bright so hopefully there won't be too many hours lost.

Lancashire's decision to go to Trent Bridge with an all-seam attack and an extra batsman seems to have been pretty well vindicated, as does Alex Davies' decision to take the Renshaw route.

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 16:42
Tom Abell`s current 3-18 at Taunton has lifted him to the leading bowler in the land - or at least top of the Division One bowling average.

He has claimed nine wickets to date for 74 runs (average 8.2) and has moved above Yorkshire`s Steve Patterson.

There are still four Surrey wickets for Patterson to take at The Oval, but as his figures are currently 2-61 he will struggle to switch places with Abell again. Not to mention, of course, that there are still two Hampshire wickets on line for Abell to snare.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 16:47
Yes, Notts, are in all sorts of trouble, so if we can wrap Hants up with some alacrity and then bat well..........

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 16:57
Strange we're off for rain, from the Taunton webcam it looks sunny.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 17:08
Only saw the morning session (plus Amla’s dismissal) today. Our bowling was somewhat mixed, albeit Tom’s continues to be a revelation.

Better not take too many more wickets Tom, you’ll get yourself on England’s radar !

Come to think of it, in a four day game, I reckon SCCC would I give England some pretty stiff competition right now.

Grizzzly

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 17:26
The word is Jamie Overton will be playing in the seconds match next week, ready for when the fifty over cricket start.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 17:42
Dont believe it Mike, all lies! Tom has already written him off for the season!
He looked remarkably fit to me for a crocked injury prone liability who is unlikely to play again this season but hey what do i know.

Test squad announced on Tuesday so every chance Craig & Jack will be in a 13/14 at least.
There will be spaces up for grabs and indeed likely rotation in the 50s as i believe the 8 matches come in 19 days so with Jamie Josh & Davey to mix in we look to have plenty of options and the chance to rest Tim & Lewis if we wish too.

As for today, not our greatest biwling display, but no luck either. Renshaw dropped a sitter off Timmy G. Lewis had a muscue land just over slip cordon, numerous play & misses and a few leading edges off spinners. All out 170 wouldnt have flattered us despite not being as tight as we normally are.

Roll on 11am for a nicer day for batting and no spinner in Hampshires 4 man attack.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 18:49
Bright sun now in Tavistock, so hopefully the belt of rain is fairly narrow and we can get going again at 11 without having to wait for the outfield to dry. Looking forward to some good stuff when I get back on Sunday, and maybe even Monday (if not wrapped up by then).

8.2 quite right CJM, not 8.4, I miscounted.

If Jamie is close to match fitness that is excellent news. I'd give him a run or two in the 50-over competition, but certainly wouldn't see any need to play him throughout as this is surely the form of the game where he is least liable to be effective.

Not to mention that the Championship is the one we most want to win.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 19:07
Yes, wsm, I did see Overton, J having a workout at lunchtime today. If he is fit, and more importantly fully match fit, good luck to Somerset in selecting their next team. I am not sure they will risk him too soon.

It was an interesting day's play. Gregory was poor to begin with and Overton looked anything but an England player or contender, bowling too much short pitched dross and giving away what seemed to be too many fours. But the team stuck at it and thanks to Abell got their fair reward.

Very bad miss in the slips from Renshaw. Could be an interesting days play tomorrow. Won't be there to see it, so I look forward to a series of true and, more importantly, objective reports.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

RRANDREWS
Old Boy! (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 20:00
Great start by Somerset. Someone has already said it, but the selected eleven is IMO our best starting eleven.

I have always been a two spinner advocate, and particularly because our two are, possibly the best pair in the country, they would be the first two names on my team sheet, followed by the skipper. His antics with his little seamers reminds of the days when we could call on similar type bowlers - Bill Alley, Tom Cartwright, Budgie Burgess, Keith Parsons and probably others I have forgotten.

As the fourth seamer Tom fills an important gap and makes it easier to always play two spinners. Of course we won't know how good Hampshire's score is until we have had our turn. The new management team are certainly hitting all the right buttons at present.

Reading between the lines, it appears the England selectors may be tempted to row back from major changes - still pushing for Ali rather than Jack? IMO the major threat to Ali's spot could be Dom eventually.

Old Boy!

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 20:34
The last county match for a while started today, with both captains getting what they wanted, Somerset wanted to field and Hampshire wanted to bat, I wonder if the Hampshire captain may be thinking Somerset knows their pitches better than we do.

I didn't think we bowled as well as we could have done at the start, too many balls off line, in saying that there were good balls from all bowlers some of them should have got wickets.

No dramatic photos today, so I have picked some of the best.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Kyle%20Abbot%204%20runs.jpg

Kyle Abbot decided to attack Jack Leach by going down the pitch to hit four runs.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Lewis%20McManus%206%20runs%20off%20Dom%20Bess.jpg

Lewis McManus also decided to attack by stepping down the pitch to Dom Bess to hit this six runs.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Hashim%20Amla%20ct%20Steve%20Davies%20bld%20Tim%20Groenewald.jpg

Hashim Amla could only watch the ball being caught by Steve Davies off the bowling of Tim Groenewald

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/James%20Vince%20ct%20Steve%20Davies%20bld%20Tom%20Abell.jpg

People are beginning to ask who is this bowler called Tom Abell, James Vince must be asking the same question after getting an edge to the wicketkeeper Steve Davies.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Joe%20Weatherley%20dropped%20by%20Matt%20Renshaw.jpg

A bit of luck went Hampshire's way when Joe Weatherley was dropped by Matt Renshaw (I have forgot the bowler)

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Jimmy%20Adams.jpg

Jimmy Adams can only watch a good bit of fielding stopping him from getting runs.

Hampshire also had more luck when uncontrolled balls were hit in the air and landed safe between fielders.

Finish Hampshire off in the morning around 200, and pass their score by mid-afternoon.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net