cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Grizzzly
Re: Hampshire Day 4
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 21:14
Whether extreme pace would have made any difference is debatable.

Fidel Edwards for Hants was steaming in yesterday to very little effect. I watched a few overs of his from the viewing area below the Press Box & he looked pretty lively !

I've no idea how much faster Jove would/could be ?

Grizzzly

Hants01
Hants01 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 21:14
This was a fixture Hampshire won last season and it's a measure of the struggles that we didn't look remotely like doing likewise this time. The injuries are mounting: Northeast, Crane, Dawson and now Abbott. I have never bought this hard luck story: good teams, as they say, make their own luck.

For once, Hampshire's feeble batting held firm. I suppose every dog has its day- no thanks to the openers' for their dismal dismissals. The pitch allied to some rare resolution conspired to snuff out Somerset.

I suspect Vince is safe for the First Test- some aren't so sure- but someone who can't average more than 30 in Division 1, is unlikely to average 40 in Test cricket.

Even with an embyonic table, it has an ominous look about it: Hants and Worcestershire propping it up.

Somerset can head into the Royal London Cup in good shape and spirits. (The RLC should be played on the Bank Holiday weekends with counties playing two fixtures each on them. The rest on other weekends.)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 22:02
It's great that we have these bunches of 'members' we meet at the ground with seemingly fundamental expertise about the future of fast bowlers there to act as expert witnesses and willing to solve all our problems by just telling us what the solution is during a chat.

And there you were Tom to report it to us in your usual ( it seems) 'objective' way.

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 22:19
I think, Grizzly, the answer is that Jamie cannot really bowl any quicker than Fidel Edwards. Of course, he's a different style of bowler though (high, over the top action from a tall man, vs skiddy/slingy action of Fidel).

I think the answer is that high pace, in and of itself, would not have been enough on this pudding of a pitch. To win on that, a team would need at least one world-class pace bowler and, very possibly, a world-class wrist-spinner to boot. If we'd had Joel Garner and Mushtaq, each at their best, there's every chance that we would have won. The only bowler currently on the county circuit (albeit yet to debut) that I think may have made a difference would have been Morne Morkel. Guys like him or his erstwhile teammate, Kagiso Rabada, or of course Dale Steyn at his best... to overcome a pitch like that you need both high speed AND very high skill level.

The vast majority of English pitches conspire against genuinely quick bowlers. North Marine Road (Scarborough) is one that often suits them. And Old Trafford certainly used to, but less so these days. Beyond that, it's slim pickings, it really is.

That Bloke With The Dog
14 May, 2018 22:50
Pitches have gone the same way all over the world. Fidel Edwards' Test debut was on a lightning surface at Sabina Park, where he took a five-for, with the W Indies crushing Sri Lanka. Unfortunately for Edwards, nobody in Jamaica could be bothered to preserve pitches like that, and his international career fell away (along with the W Indies as a force to be feared).

It's one reason I've loved watching Fiddy over the weekend, even on this dying wicket at Taunton: he's one of the last, tenuous links with a lost world. Brian Lara was his captain for that debut in Jamaica, with Chris Gayle opening the batting. In retrospect it turned out to be just about the very last sight of those great, exciting W Indies teams.

There was just a glimpse of that magic in his first over from the River End. Nothing had been happening for him from the Church End, and he'd been mooching around on the long leg boundary looking thoroughly miserable. Then suddenly there was that unplayable rocket to dismiss Byrom, the trademark "you-didn't-even-see-that-one" celebration, and an over of fire and ferocity. Great stuff.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 23:17
Well yes Grockle, when you attend the ground and do not have to rely on watching a streaming service from millions of miles away, you get the opportunity to discuss what is going on with other members.

Said member was expressing his opinion based on Overton, J's poor record of fitness as well you understand. In that the club cannot go on retaining the services of such an absentee ad nauseum, he should have to accept that his body is simply not up to the demands of a professional cricketer. Contract, or no contract, such a fate has befallen others in the past and it will again.

That should be easy enough for anyone to understand.

EDIT Removal of pointless quote from post two above. Please use the quote facility only if the post is on a different page or you want to selectively refer to a part of a quote from another poster. Just repeating the post in quotes simply increase the size of a thread and makes longer threads more difficult for mobile users to access.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2018 04:41 by Grockle.

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 00:25
It was such a sad sight yesterday watching Jamie going around the ground in his wheelchair, I really hope he's at least able to walk properly soon.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 05:41
Tom

As the topic was about the 'objectivity' of reports about a player who, please correct me if I'm wrong. hasn't bowled a ball in anger in a game at Taunton during this season, I am wondering how my location has anything to do with it.

Most of us take your point about Jamie's injury record (though we may post it in less aggressive tones rather than as if it was the player's fault) and again, I am not sure what a Botham Stand supporting resident has relating to the long term issue (due to their attendance at games in 2018) that anyone else would not have. We are all a 'million miles... away' from it if we don't have facts.

But you go further than that and give us the member's assessment of the present situation 'body not up to the demands of professional cricket' as if that's it and the solution is get rid of Jamie Overton.

That's not 'objective'. That is a subjective opinion by a person I assume is NOT an expert on the 'demands of professional cricket' or what Jamie's body is 'up to' and who does not have access to any more information than the rest, present or virtual.

I have been away a while but I doubt the club have set up a 'medical expert think tank' in the Botham Stand and given membership to people capable of having professional opinions on the situation while I've been away.

So the 'I've had a chat with a member and the solution is.....' stance is not objective posting.

We all talk in this virtual Taunton. We have had our virtual experience enhanced this year by some visuals but that does not provide off field info (can't even see the boundary). However we can talk to people on the boundary and get their subjective input and we can all get facts that offer objective slants to the subject matter. So your 'you're not here so you don't know' view is less and less valid year by year and irrelevant to this present issue.

And as far as I am aware there is nowhere in the supporting sections of the County Ground where the 'font of all knowledge' has been set up and I am damn sure it is not within 20 feet of where you watch from Thomas.

Please post your opinions and that of others but don't spout how you always post 'objectively' and then give us this guff. It's a personal opinion of someone you talked to and unless you can relate it to observable and verifiable fact that is all it is.

As far as I know, Jamie is bowling, as far as I know he is being considered for a comeback during the one day games, as far as I know he is fit. I think some of that can be verified from sources in the know but I can't be sure so it is still my assessment and nothing more than that.

See how it is done?

You are right when you say it should be easy for anyone to understand.

Why don't you seem to understand it then?

This isn't the first time we have had this conversation and the difference between 'subjectivity and'objectivity' still seems to elude you.

Ahh well 'you can take the horse to water but you can't...' (Sm11)

(Sm72)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2018 06:32 by Grockle.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 07:00
Bloke with Dog - I agree completely about Fidel - I really enjoyed watching him perform.

Gibson gave out the stat (given to him by somebody else), that Fidel has a career CC strike rate of 36, which is incredible, and the best figure for any bowler this century in the CC... and even somebody with that record managed a grand total of two wickets.... which tells you most of what you need to know about that surface...

Ronniesabre
Ronniesabre (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 08:31
Attended all 4 days in good weather . Met some good people and some good cricket too.

Some thoughts.

1 . We gave up the ghost at 3.30 when Byrom came on . I get why we did that as we probably didn’t want to over bowl the bowlers this early in season and wicket was dead. So Kerr saying boys have given everything is only true to a point .

2. Last hour will drive people away from the game . Bartlett’ s 2 Beamers say it all . Hurry etc need to look at that type of wicket as I think we need to win 2 more home games and 3 away to have a realistic chance. Did anyone think that Bartlett actually got Vince out caught by abell but it was a no ball ? Or was it bump ball . Thought by Bartlett’s reaction it was a catch.

3. Some here know the wicket and predicted a draw. Well done to them . Others? well........

Overall a good start but we need freshened up and trego myburgh vdm etc will give us that at the weekend!!! Hopefully we keep good run going.

That Bloke With The Dog
15 May, 2018 10:01
Whose clever idea was it for Leach to be practising his batting instead of his bowling yesterday morning? He wasn't going to bat under any circumstances yeaterday, and he had a whole month free to practise it before it would be required again by Somerset.

From The Times:

Leach was practising his batting in the Taunton nets before the start of the final day of Somerset’s match against Hampshire when he was hit by a ball bowled with a sidearm ball-thrower by the Somerset head coach Jason Kerr.

Barmy.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 10:32
Yes. Insane.

I'd have offered odds of Headingley vs the Aussies proportions (500/1) against Jack being forced to bat for SCCC yesterday.

sfwithers
sfwithers (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 10:41
Hants01, I'd say that Worcestershire are propping up the table. The gap between Hampshire in 7th and 4th placed Essex is just eight points. I realise that you're not very optimistic about your team this year (echoing my feelings about my beloved Somerset last year!) but it's too early to start hammering the nails in the coffin. Amla is a class player and it's just possible that Vince could surprise you!!

As a Somerset fan I'm much more content than this time last year. We'd have all been happy with two wins, two draws at this stage, though the injuries to Davey, Tres and Leach are disappointing, especially how the last one happened.

As for the Taunton wicket, I suspect we're a little hamstrung by the worry of a points deduction after the events of last year. I'd love to see turning wickets, even with just Bess in the line-up.

The most pleasing thing is that all of our players have achieved something. Yes, we always want all our bowlers and batsmen to hit form at the same time, but our bowlers have worked well as a team, our top of order have hit centuries, and we have batted deep when called upon. The fact that our number 11 has a batting average of 18.7, and Overton, Bess and Leach can all bat is very reassuring. The days of rabbits like Allan Jones (average 5.39!) and Bob Clapp (4.45!!) for example, seem a lifetime ago. I suppose they are. But this is one way in which cricket has changed over the years.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 11:49
We need to find the testicular fortitude to not be scared off by a possible points deduction We must remind ourselves that only once in two years did we fall foul of a 'below average,' mark and that in a game where we probably pulled out extra stops to ensure that the track would turn.

Bottom line: We won't win any games on pitches like yesterday's unless there is very low cloud pretty much throughout (and perhaps not even then).

And we've not, generally, been particularly good at netting wins on our travels over recent years .. a few away wins spring to mind - Lord's with the Chawla ton and Meschede on fire, Trent Bridge, with Mybs hitting Tahir all over Nottingham, Edgbaston vs a poor Warks side last year, and North Marine Road, with Coverton extracting a ton of bounce (and Yorkshire losing two pacemen during the match). And one other win, at the Rose Bowl, with Cove again being the main man to do the damage. So that's five away wins that spring to my mind, but spread over 3-4 years. So they've not been a frequent occurrence.

Other than that?

When did we last win at the Oval? Old Trafford? Headingley? Not even sure I remember a win at New Road? Last win at Chelmsford? We won by a mile at Castle Park, Colchester some 8 years ago. Okay, this year we won't be playing at the Oval, but Guildford is scarcely a strong prospect for a win.

So............if we're going to win the CC, we'd better take a very heavy toll of our four remaining home games, IMO. I think we'd need to win three of them and pick up an away win somewhere to have any real shot at all at winning the CC (giving us six wins from 14 games). Even that would probably not be enough. But if we win, say, only one of our four remaining home games due their being played on flat tracks? We'd have no chance of winning the CC unless we were go on an uncharacteristic winning streak away from home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2018 15:15 by AG on apple.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 12:03
I Think that one of the problems with the Hants track is that too much grass was left on it - specifically that the grass was left on right up to a full (seamer's) length. What little turn there was on the first three days came from a very, very full length (from balls landing beyond the grass) and, even for a spinner, these balls were arguably slightly too full.

If they're going to leave lots of grass on next time, I think they need to end the grass covering just back of a good length for the seamer, such that a spinner will be able to land the ball on a grassless area, without it being slightly too full a delivery.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 13:12
Maybe Jack was having a batting net because he's a professional cricketer who knows all facets of the game matter if he's to get to the top, his batting is demonstrably important to Somerset, he might have been batting for Somerset or England a fair bit in the next week or two, etc etc...

Just because he wasn't likely to bat yesterday doesn't mean a net wouldn't be worthwhile for a serious professional. It's not like fingers break on a regular basis in the nets. Some of you probably wouldn't let them warm up or practice at all just in case something goes wrong.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 13:17
Yes, unfortunately accidents happen, as Glenn McGrath would no doubt confirm.

Grizzzly

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 13:25
pssst.... (it was me that put that ball there,) Grizz............

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 14:51
SP.. plenty of time for Jack to practice his batting at other times.. to me it would make sense for most practice to take place in between matches (or at least prior to the toss on day one)... that way, should anybody suffer any kind of injury during the practice, the team wouldn't lose a batsman or bowler *during* a match (wouldn't be reduced to ten men for all purposes other than fielding). This would also mean that the much loved (presumably) by players footy warm-up would have to be a day one, pre-toss activity only.

Obviously some limbering up for the bowlers before they take the field (to reduce the risk of injury whilst on the field) makes clear sense and if some batsman (who is likely to have to bat in the match) desperately wants a hit, before the day's play, or whilst waiting to go in etc than so be it.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:41
Damn. If you'd only told them this before they started. I blame you for the injury!!! Becauae you are obviously looking to blame someone.

(Sm72)

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:01
I take full responsibility.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:07
Well done that man.

(Sm72)

Farmer White
Re: Somerset Day. Ireland Day.........
Farmer White (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 17:45
Commitments since the end of the Hampshire match have precluded me from posting until now but for anyone still interested here are my thoughts on that match and where it leaves the team:

“Well, what are you going to find to write about that,” I was asked two or three overs from the end. What indeed. The game had long since died; a string of batsmen had turned their arm over; Bartlett had bowled two ‘beamers’, although the second looped six feet over the batsman’s head and reached the keeper running on empty; and the Hampshire batsmen, Vince in particular in reaching 200, had helped themselves to some easy late runs.

The day was reminiscent of those interminable fourth days in the Langer years when only two or three wickets falling on the final day of a Championship match was about par for the course. 24 fell, in total, on eight final days in 2009 and that included six in that unforgettable and successful run chase of 479 for 6 against Yorkshire. 18 in total in the other seven, all drawn, matches and none at all in a full final day against Lancashire, VVS Laxman being one of the batsmen. There were nine totals that season of over 500 including one of over 600 and one of over 700. Langer is alleged to have remarked that if Somerset wished to win the Championship something had to be done about the pitches.

Well, something was done. By 2011 things had changed. In that season there was one rain affected draw at Taunton and seven positive results with only one declaration in any innings by either side in the entire season and that with nine wickets down. Of the positive results three were completed inside three days and four in four. Somerset won four and lost three of those matches. Of the wickets taken by Somerset that season at Taunton 93 fell to the pace bowlers and 26 to spin so it seems unlikely the results were due to overly spin friendly pitches.

Now, I am not remotely suggesting the pitch for this match was comparable to the 2009 pitches. It was not. This pitch was much livelier on the first two and a half days of playing time, or thereabouts, than those of 2009. However, for the last day and a half it played like a throwback to those days. Too many pitches like it in the future and the Championship may remain a perpetual dream.

That said the reality is Somerset need to stay within ECB guidelines if they are to avoid a points deduction in 2018. There is, therefore, likely to be an understandable reluctance to produce overly spin friendly pitches. I have no expertise whatsoever where pitches are concerned. Apart from being green or not they all look the same to me. I would not therefore wish to underestimate in any way the complexities of the situation. However, I wonder if there would be some benefit, if records are kept that far back and if it has not already been done, in looking at exactly what went into pitch preparation in, and in the lead up to, 2011 and seeing if there is anything that can be replicated now.

As to that gruelling final day…

Before the day even started there was an unbearably cruel twist of fate when Jack Leach broke his thumb in pre-match practice on the eve of being selected for his second Test. Fragments of news spread around the ground as the day progressed, each being worse than the one before, until what had happened became clear. No-one I spoke to said much other than exchanging the news. There was really nothing that could be said in such circumstances. The extent to which people felt for Leach was clear in their faces.

At the start of the day I settled myself at the top of the Somerset Pavilion. It soon became apparent that Vince and Amla were settling themselves down too and were bent on survival. A glance early on from Vince off Groenewald evaded the diving glove of Davies by a foot or so. Amla edged just short of an imaginary line between slip and gully. And that was about it ahead of the new ball. Bess gently drifted the ball away from the right hander and just as gently turned it a seam’s width into the batsman. Concentration and a straight bat the only requirement to nullify any risk. Amla, whether by design or serendipity, brought up his hundred just before the new ball was due.

The new ball brought little change. Amla edged short of gully and was the subject of a huge lbw appeal from Overton but that was the sum total of hope in the first half dozen overs. Overton and Gregory seemed to be getting no movement from the ball or life from the pitch. After half an hour of receding hope it became clear that the pitch would offer the bowlers no help. I decided to embark on a circumnavigation of the ground, the last resort of the desperate supporter when wickets are needed and do not come.

I ambled, via several dalliances to peek at the cricket through gaps between the stands, to the spot where the old scoreboard used to be and stopped for a longer look at the cricket. Gregory dropped one short and wide and Amla, of all people, chased it into Davies gloves. 233 for 3. Hampshire 42 behind. I stopped again between the Trescothick and Somerset Stands to see if I could do any good there. An edge just short of and through where third slip would have been the most I could manage. I was more successful at the gap between the Somerset Stand and Gimblett’s Hill. Alsop pulled Groenewald limply to mid wicket where stood Hildreth. Hildreth does not make mistakes with those. 256 for 4. 19 behind.

That was the limit of my, and Somerset’s, success. As the day wore on, and I spoke to people, it became apparent that I was far from being the only one who had been perambulating the ground with the same intent. In fact, the route around the boundary began to look like a circular seafront promenade on a sunny bank holiday Monday. None of us believes for a moment that such things make the slightest difference but we do it anyway. Just as on the second day I found myself rooted to the seat I had intended to borrow for just a few minutes on Gimblett’s Hill when Overton’s score started to mount. Superstition may be a nonsense but it is a powerful nonsense.

Back at the top of the Somerset Pavilion after Lunch it became apparent that Gregory and Groenewald had started to get appreciable movement. There seemed real hope at last. That small voice within was more doubtful, not at all certain Somerset could pull this off on such a pitch. It had been here too many times before. Hope, though, springs eternal and so I watched intently. Rossouw in particular was troubled, especially by Groenewald. A few went so close to the defensive edge they elicited gasps from the crowd, one just evading a Rossouw cut. Rossouw also edged a drive against Overton, when he returned, wide of second slip. After that the moment and the movement passed with Vince and Rossouw still there with Hampshire on 302 for 4. 27 ahead and the remaining overs starting to shrink.

And there the pair of them remained, virtually untroubled, until the occasional bowlers took the match into that surreal stage of the dead draw where the game is played with no competitive edge but the niceties are observed to a fault. Not least that removal of Bartlett from the attack after his second, looping, ‘beamer’ which would have been of more danger to a passing aircraft than it was to the batsman. By then there were not many there to witness the disintegration of the match as a contest. Perhaps a thousand or so had started the day. To my eye less than 300 ended it and most of those, I imagine, might have been heard put to explain why they were still there.

Something should be said about the innings of Vince and Rossouw. By the time they batted the pitch was probably among the least demanding they have ever or will ever face. However, they both batted against their natural aggressive risk-taking instincts. It was, apparently, the longest innings of Vince’s career and it suited Hampshire’s needs admirably. It must, even on that pitch, have been a monumental effort of concentration both to stay focused for so long and to so successfully contain his natural instincts. Given his England record he probably has little cause for complaint about being dropped from the squad for the first Test. However, given the likely reasons, it is a little ironic that the selectors chose to do so after an innings such as this.

And so to Dom Bess. I cannot let this post pass without a reference to his being called up to the England Test squad following such a meteoric start to his first-class career. Another irony emanating from this match that he has essentially been called up to replace the injured Jack Leach. It is also a comment on Somerset’s player development and recruitment that England have been able to replace one Somerset spinner with another and Somerset still have a more than useful replacement available in Roelof van de Merwe. As I have said before Dom Bess marches towards the sound of gunfire for Somerset. I imagine he will do the same for England.

And finally, where does this all leave Somerset. Second in the championship, just seven points behind the leaders, with a game in hand over them and most of the rest of the table. A start that could only be dreamed off after four games in any other year since their return to the First Division a decade ago. A considerable amount of preparatory work must have taken place in the winter to bring about such a fundamentally different start to the season and its effects may continue to be felt through the season.

There are though, to use the modern parlance, challenges ahead. Winning more games on the Taunton pitch this year, now that April has gone, may be one of them if the pitch for this match were to be typical of what is to come. Whether it is possible to produce result pitches towards the end of the season, when three of Somerset’s remaining four home matches take place, and remain safely within ECB pitch guidelines may determine whether Somerset can sustain a Championship challenge this year.

The Championship table looks healthy at present from a Somerset perspective and the team have had an outstanding start. However, the challenges ahead may be greater than those behind. The four teams Somerset have played are currently in the bottom four places in the table, albeit partly in two cases because of defeats by Somerset. The teams still to be played for the first time are currently, with Somerset, in the top four places. They include Surrey, the only team over whom Somerset do not have a game in hand, only two points behind Somerset.

As the season progresses however depth of squads may play a role in the outcome of the season and Somerset are in a stronger position here than they have been at any time since their return to the First Division. When Somerset challenged for the Championship in 2010 the pace attack was largely carried by three players, Willoughby, Thomas and Trego who missed only one Championship game between them. Kartik, Somerset’s main spin threat that year, played only eight games.

The strength of the 2018 squad has been evidenced by the fact that four injuries have been sustained over the first four games without exposing the team on the field too heavily. The ability levels within the squad too are improving year on year. After Lord’s on Tuesday the squad will probably contain four players who have played for England compared with one a year ago. That is testament to the success of Somerset having the skill and the patience to develop players internally; only recruiting externally selectively and adroitly. Further testament to, and an immense benefit of, that policy must be the cohesiveness and intensity of the team spirit shown on the field this season and at the end of last. That can play a large part in winning a Championship as Essex showed in 2017.

There is much to hope and play for this season. The road to the Championship may be, as it should be, a tough one but there is no doubt that the wherewithal necessary to travel that road is coming together now for Somerset.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 17:55 by Farmer White.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 12:08
From a Somerset perspective, perhaps the best thing about the final day was FW's excellent (as always) report. I especially enjoyed the idea of Bartlett's inadvertent lob reaching the keeper "running on empty".

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 12:23
"That said the reality is Somerset need to stay within ECB guidelines if they are to avoid a points deduction in 2018. There is, therefore, likely to be an understandable reluctance to produce overly spin friendly pitches. I have no expertise whatsoever where pitches are concerned. Apart from being green or not they all look the same to me. I would not therefore wish to underestimate in any way the complexities of the situation. However, I wonder if there would be some benefit, if records are kept that far back and if it has not already been done, in looking at exactly what went into pitch preparation in, and in the lead up to, 2011 and seeing if there is anything that can be replicated now."

I think the point remains that two years of trying to produce turning tracks showed us that it's actually rather easy to produce turning tracks, whilst remaining within the guidelines. No previous track that turned prodigiously was assessed as 'below average.'

Even if I'm wrong about that, I think we come back to 'nothing ventured, nothing gained.'

It will be obvious, as you yourself said, that we're not going to win the CC on tracks like the one present on the final day here (in truth I think it did very little on day three too and I thought most of the assistance on the first two days came through the air).

I maintain that, on tracks that seam a lot, Somerset are a 50:50 proposition to win, at best. Okay, we happen to be 2-0 this season but I didn't think we out-bowled Worcs but rather we won because we out-caught them. Had both sides been equally good (or equally bad) at catching, I think we would probably have lost. We've had many, many bad batting performances on seaming tracks away from home - one thinks particularly of horror shows at New Road and Headingley during the 2016 season. Also near constant defeats at CLS. We don't have an advantage, relative to most CC1 sides, in seam bowling resources.

I think if we look at the home games over the past 2 years where there has been significant turn, we'd find that our record is better than 50:50 - probably significantly so because we have a, frankly, overwhelming cumulative advantage in spin bowling resources compared to your average CC1 side.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 14:48
"I have no expertise whatsoever where pitches are concerned. Apart from being green or not they all look the same to me."

To what do we owe this sudden outpouring of modesty, AGod?

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 15:11
A question best directed, I think, to Farmer White, given that he originally wrote it. I was simply replying to his comments.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2018 15:13 by AG on apple.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 15:22
Indeed AG and Tom it was my comment in my Day 4 match report.

I claim no modesty where my lack of knowledge of pitches is comcerned. Just honesty. They are a total mystery to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2018 16:18 by Farmer White.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net