cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

AGod
SCCC 2018 white ball side?
AGod (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 12:24
As I understand it, Abell is Captain for 50 over this year? So he will therefore play.

I was thinking about our best side and I've decided that I think we should open with Mybs and Renshaw, rather than with SD and one of the other two.

Everybody knows about how beneficial a RHB/LHB combo can be in throwing off the line of opposing bowlers. Less often spoken about, but equally valid, IMO, is the value of a big man/little man tandem.... which forces bowlers to constantly adjust their length. A Myburgh/Renshaw tandem would be BOTH RHB/LHB and big small man/big man. A good length ball to Mybs, would be a virtual half-volley to Matt R. A back of a length ball to Matt R would be a near long-hop to Mybs.

Mybs
Renshaw
Davies
Hildreth
Abell
Trego (or possibly Banton?)
Roelof
Cove
Gregory
Dom
Timmy G

I guess the above is what we'll go with, but with the pace bowlers being rotated at least somewhat and the outside chance, should we encounter a very dry track, of either Max or Jack coming in as a third spinner instead one of the three main seamers (on the basis that we'd still have Pete and Tom to bowl seam, if needs be?)

MESSAGES->author
Re: SCCC 2018 white ball side?
Grockle (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 13:16
No plan to use the speed merchant then? Don't fancy a bit of shock and awe then?

(Sm72)

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 13:18
Eminently sound analysis AG. I think Jamie's part-time presence is covered by the comment on rotation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2018 13:20 by mikeindex.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 13:25
Yes, indeed, mikeindex.

I think it makes sense to rotate all of our fit (senior) pace bowlers - so the three above, the Flying Dutchman and, as and when they are fit, Jamie and Josh.

If we did get a really dry pitch and ended up bringing Max in, then that would give the delicious prospect of an off-side "ring," of Max, Tom and Dom.

I could imagine putting Max at a straight mid-off, Tom in his usual place in the covers and put Dom at point... good luck finding quick singles there!!! And, it being white ball stuff, we'd have sweepers back on the extra cover and point boundaries, so hitting it over our inner cordon would involve a level of risk that might be off-set by a lack of reward. In fact, we could even dispense with the extra cover sweeper and put Roelof in to save one in that ring, too - giving a ring of Max, Roelof, Tom and Dom in those dry track games..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2018 13:40 by AGod.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 14:05
Based on last year there is no issue about Mybs. Get him in as soon as you can and let him go!!

(Sm72)

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 23:24
Josh Davey is fit again (he was on the field a couple of times today as sub) and I would certainly have him reasonably prominently placed in our `quickies` rota.

He is a better white ball than red ball bowler, and was leading wicket-taker throughout the last World Cup, until Mitchell Johnson overtook him right at the end, when Australia had extra knockout matches to play and Scotland didnt.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 07:32
Paul Van Meekeren also made his reputation (and probably owes his SCCC move) to his prowess in white ball cricket (most especially T20 in his case).

However...........for balance of the side reasons, it might be that we want one of LG (albeit he has no batting form anyway) or Craig O in the side each time - for example Davey, Van Meekeren and one of the others that isn't Cove or LG would, on paper, leave the batting down the order potentially a little light.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 07:51
With the bowlers also have to think where they are best suited to bowling - Josh is excellent at the start of the innings but probably not ideal those last death overs. Lewis has generally been good at the end of the innings (would love to see some of those rapid yorkers of his early pre-injury career) but this is an area we really miss Thomas. Last thing we need to do is have bowlers who are tight at the top, spinners that frustrate in the middle overs, then get tonked for 100 off the last 10.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 09:32
Yeah, well I imagine the Oval will be flat and dry so I think it'll be difficult for everyone up top. But on greener surfaces then Josh might be the right shout first up. The Oval could be the sort of surface where our tallest bowlers will be of most use as there's sometimes extra bounce - so two Overtons and the Dutchman might be the go there. I think you'd expect to get 20 overs of spin in at the Oval, more often than not.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net