cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Grockles.com
Royal London - a competition too far or THE 3rd Format?
Grockles.com (IP Logged)
04 June, 2018 13:40
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2018 21:51 by Grockle.

Shepton Paul 2
Re: Royal London - a competition too far or THE 3rd Format?
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 13:31
I've long said the 50-over tournament is my favourite format to watch, in that:

- you get 100 overs of cricket for your gate money (important if, like me, you have to travel a long way to see any live cricket);
- that's long enough for some ebb and flow, for teams' fortunes to change through the day;
- it's pretty close to proper cricket, rather than just a question of whether my big-money 'stars' can hit more 'sixers' or 'maximums' than yours, and there's a proper role for bowlers.

ECB, please keep, and boost, the 50-over cup.

cricketharris
cricketharris (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 15:12
The final is at Lord’s on 30th June, isn’t it?

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 18:32
I thought it was at Trent Bridge.... that was the original plan but they may have moved it under pressure. If they have that is very good news.

(Sm72)

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 18:36
This is the final year at Lord's, then to TB.

Would be nice to see us win the competition, but we'll have to up our game !

As for the longer term plans, can't help feeling that Budgie hit the nail on the head on the main site the other day.

What was wrong with a season long, one day competition played on Sundays ?

Grizzzly

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 18:43
Ahh. OK. Then this is probably the year to get there then because it certainly will be a step down to work hard and not even get your day at the home of cricket.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 21:04
For what it's worth, I used to rate the 40 over JPL as a bit of a knock around where anything could happen (albeit a league playing everyone), the 55 over B&H more serious with a great group stage at the start of the season and the 60 over Gillette/NatWest Cup as the real deal giving innings of sufficient length for the best team to shine

Hants01
Hants01 (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 21:18
The only thing wrong with this competition is the absurd scheduling of it. In each of the two Bank Holiday weekends in May the counties ought to play twice, once home and once away. What do we have? No cricket on at least one of the Bank Holiday Mondays. The excellent Edward Bevan tweeted that the crowds were good at the weekend at Swansea, Beckenham and Eastbourne. Excellent and it's an opportunity to take cricket to outgrounds.

Wasim Khan looking into the structuring of the game is a fan of bring in the Minor Counties. I would rather cut back T20 and have an FA Cup style knock-out: we used to have three one day competitions.

Next year will be the World Cup, based on 50 overs, I assume. So shouldn't we be basing our game on international needs?

I wouldn't mind mixing up the two groups in an open draw as we used to do. But the one change I would make would be to have the competition known as the Weekend Cup- with, as I say, four of the games played over those two Bank Holiday May weekends.

Since I have no confidence in the ECB, I expect this competition to be massacred or abolished.

Phrench Phil
Phrench Phil (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 21:49
Well said Shepton Paul and Somerset LaLaLa.
One of the best, riveting and most exciting matches I have ever watched was the Brian Rose, young Botham and Dashing Denning victory over Surrey (Geoff Arnold and Robin Jackman) back in the 1970s Gillette Cup.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
05 June, 2018 23:57
As the World Cup itself is not fit for purpose I doubt anything positive is going to come out of it but more money for the main nations and some self satisfied slaps on the back at the end if it for a job well done keeping it all in the cricketing family.

(Sm72)

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 08:34
Based on this fixture list, it seems the ECB have decided Kent & Essex are to be knocked out next week !

[www.ecb.co.uk]

Grizzzly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2018 08:35 by Grizzzly.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 08:39
Northern bias 😉

hantssabre
hantssabre (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 09:49
Very interesting Grizzly! Only the ECB could do that. Hampshire have ended up with the duff day as it clashes with England’s opening match in the football World Cup,

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 11:17
I am probably be a bit feeble but I have not succeeded in finding the current averages on the official site. I'd be particularly interested to see the figures for Hildreth and Trego, both of whom have done very well in this year's RLODC.

Information of this kind iught to be readily accessible on the SCCC site - and if it isn't why isn't it?

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 12:20
James Hildreth is at five, PT further down the list. [stats.espncricinfo.com]

cricketharris
cricketharris (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 12:45
More to the point , Grizzley, why have the ECB omitted to name Yorkshire and Notts. in the final. Yorkshire to win, of course. Competition over then for another year. Well done the Yorkies.

chunkyinargyll
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 13:04
Loyal-

Somerset Royal London averages-

[www.bbc.co.uk]

and if you scroll down you will get the championship averages too.

Loyal of Lhasa
08 June, 2018 15:16
Many thanks, [b][/b]Chunky.

Very impressive figures for Hildreth in both formats.

One wonders why these stats do not, as far as I can tell, appear on the SCCC site. I find them slightly more interesting than the appointment of a new member of the catering staff.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 15:38
How dare you, Fickle of Lhasa. Nothing can be more important than the catering. Far more significant than a few numbers.

Loyal of Lhasa
08 June, 2018 15:49
Clearly this site caters for all sorts of people, however extremist their views. This, it seems, I have failed tor recognise...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net