cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
MESSAGES->author
Lewis Gregory
Grockle (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 13:00
This is clogging up a number of threads so lets get it isolated. George Dobell says he may go to Middlesex. Some say he should get some slack while others say commit or go. Your view?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/07/2018 15:30 by Grockle.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Lewis Gregory
Grockle (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 16:09
Re: 2018 SOMERSET RELATED NEWS
JuliaW (81.168.30.197)
27 June, 2018 12:02

From George Dobell on cricinfo -

'Meanwhile Somerset are understood to be pursuing Pakistan's Azhar Ali as an overseas player while, in domestic transfer news, Middlesex are emerging as favourites to sign Somerset all-rounder Lewis Gregory.'

Grockle (109.155.61.155)
27 June, 2018 12:31

If George is posting it, you ought to assume it is pretty solid.

Make yer mind up Lewis

Tom Seymour (31.50.119.86)
27 June, 2018 13:31

Just go Lewis, go!

If your heart and soul isn't in the club that helped to nurture and develop you, it is best for you to leave ASAP.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

chunkyinargyll (81.159.26.14)
27 June, 2018 13:33

Well, I'd be quite happy to have Gregory at the Middle.

Career bowling average of 28.34 perfectly acceptable, and any runs he can make will be gratefully received.

Grockle (109.155.61.155)
27 June, 2018 13:46

Reports tend to suggest this is location based primarily Chunky so don't get too excited. Hormones can make people irrational. Better hope they marry so his play becomes focussed.

You couldn't write it.

Shepton Paul 2 (95.146.151.141)
27 June, 2018 13:51

Maybe chap's in a genuine quandary and isn't sure what to do; many of us may have had similar job situations - I know I have. Cut him some slack, for goodness' sake.

Grockle (109.155.61.155)
27 June, 2018 13:57

Somerset could cut him that. I'm sure he is finding the decision difficult. Remove him from the captaincy of the T20 to take pressure off him.

Because that is front and centre so is Lewis. If it is affecting his play then cut him slack there until he commits or doesn't. But we are told nothing yet info is out there it seems.

Knowing when we would know would be something. Please remember the supporters did NOT create this situation and as usual no info from the centre creates speculation and polarisation. A lesson the club never learns.

Grockle (109.155.61.155)
27 June, 2018 13:59

Blast we are back on this general thread!! I'm going to start one please take this there!!

Loyal of Lhasa (5.80.213.156)
27 June, 2018 14:08

I don't know what "information from the centre" we have a right to receive. Surely, organisations and employees retain a right to respect confidentiality in such matters while decisions are still pending. In my working life I would have expected that.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

In this situation 'the centre' could take some action even if it is to say simply nothing has changed.

They could act to either support Lewis or take the pressure off Lewis.

It is the same with signings.

Silence is not always the way. Letting supporters know the club is aware by just reassuring people that things are moving/progressing would be better than nothing when sources elsewhere are telling the supporters things.

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/06/2018 16:27 by Grockle.

Ronniesabre
Ronniesabre (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 16:14
Agree. Just back from 2 days at Chelmsford. My view is his body language there says he doesn’t want to be st Somerset . Playing someone like that can be dangerous . Sort of changing my mind as to whether he should play now. Difficult one.

Andy Hurry has a lovely tan though so he will be happy

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 16:24
Here's Roger's Original post about the Dobell story

George Dobell on cricket info reporting that Middlesex are favourites to sign Lewis Gregory,

ESPN STORY.

And Liam Plunkett ( I realize not Somerset player but part of the report also)

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 17:57
Chunky - how many pacemen do Middx need/want? Surely somebody would have to leave (to fit in with Gus's salary restrictions if BOTH Gregory and Pudsey Bear were to sign?)

As for Gregory - I thought he looked like he was going through the motions with the ball vs Essex.... not bowling at anything like full tilt. Now, maybe that was due to hot weather, unresponsive pitch, worthless ball etc or maybe he doesn't want to play.

If he doesn't want to play? Drop him, simple as that.

He needs to realise, though, that if he tries to get released THIS season, then with Murtagh, Finn and Helm already there, he might not play every week.

And then NEXT season, if those three were there, plus TRJ and Plunkett?

Looking at that arithmetic he'd better be very confident in the durability of his current relationship because, if he walks, I certainly don't think we should agree to take him back in the event the relationship goes down the drain and he feels homesick.

chunkyinargyll
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 18:04
Fuller and Barber may be on their way out.

Barber doesn't look like he'll ever be accurate enough to make the grade. A fit Fuller is handy in white ball cricket, but he hasn't been fit half the time.

That leaves Harris, TRJ (out for season) Murtagh (37 in August) Finn, and Helm, so Murtagh could retire soon, so that would only leave four who you could pick with reasonable confidence, so we definitely need at least one of Gregory or Plunkett (and it looks like we're after both).

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 18:06
It will be readily apparent, I think, that Somerset are going to need to do some recruitment from a pace bowling point of view, with LG offski, most likely, and Jamie Overton unreliable , TG 34/5 or whatever he is etc etc. Craig Overton occasional England commitments. Leachy or Bess (rarely both at the same time) possible England commitments

Green and Sale are pulling up no bowling trees in the seconds.

The other options are Davey and Van Meekeren.

Whilst Somerset have, in one sense, done well to retain CC1 status for so long, I've also long thought that, as one of the top paying counties, then our failure to win anything since Langer took us to the CC2 title, implies that we have invested our resources less wisely than some other counties.

If we need to sign new pace bowling resources for next season - and I think we surely do, then we may need to free up more budget than simply that which will be freed up if LG is no longer on the payroll - for example, can we really justify retaining Max Waller to play such limited cricket?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/06/2018 18:22 by AGod.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 19:06
Has Harris left Middlesex?

LoL

chunkyinargyll
27 June, 2018 19:15
Nope.

Loyal of Lhasa
27 June, 2018 19:22
My mistake; he WAS mentioned above.

LoL

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 19:30
I wonder if Lewis knows he can get career and relationship advice on this site. No wonder he's having a little difficulty making his next move.

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 19:40
Presumably his power of negotiation will depend on taking more wickets and scoring plentifully. So until Gregory has an offer that he can't refuse, he has an incentive to carry on. It's in his interests to delay signing for another county after which he will just be making up the numbers if selected by Somerset for the rest of the season

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/06/2018 19:57 by Somerset LaLaLa.

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 20:06
That would be my view to, SLala, but we have been told he's not trying when selected and doesn't want to play. Doesn't say much for the selection committee.

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 20:09
I hope Lewis G goes on being as unmotivated as he has clearly (not) been today.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 20:23
It must have just happened then because he certainly wasn't unmotivated against Notts

(Sm72)

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 20:29
Think I've said more than enough already on this subject.

Self imposed gag order for a while !

Grizzzly

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 20:30
Has had three unproductive innings on the bounce since the first innings vs Notts when the ball happened to swing (for the only innings in that game) - the follow on vs Notts (wicketless), the large Surrey total, the large Essex total. To me he looked well below full pace against both Surrey and Essex. No doubt, the prospect of bowling on a white pitch, with an orange ball (and it really is orange, IMO), in blazing sunshine wasn't a great one, but still.

Loyal of Lhasa
27 June, 2018 20:32
I am not sure anybody would want to play for Middlesex after their performance against Kent.

LoL

chunkyinargyll
27 June, 2018 20:41
Now, now Loyal.

These things are cyclical.

Middlesex at the bottom of their fortunes at the moment, but it won't last forever.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 07:54
There is no getting away from it, Lewis Gregory is Somerset's top CC wicket taker.

His batting is a disappointing ave. @11.18, it would be great to see his batting improve but if I had a choice I would take his bowling every time.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 08:03
I agree with SP, LoL and Bobstan (among others). I see no objection to his exploring his options (especially since a move may suit his personal circumstances). Regardless of the outcome, an effective management (and Andy Hurry has shown himself to fit that description) would want to keep him motivated for the remainder of the season.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 10:20
Nailsea Fizz, you say that "we have been told he's not trying when selected and doesn't want to play" - unless I'm mistaken, we haven't been told that by anyone within the dressing room, officially from the club, or by anyone in a position to know to such things. At Guildford, I saw no sign that he wasn't trying or didn't want to play; I think that's just guesswork by some who don't know but are merely speculating.

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 11:42
What was also interesting at Guildford was the way Tom Abell and Lewis Gregory seemed to huddle at key points in the day, as if the captain was seeking the more experienced player`s advice. This was particulalry so when Lewis was fielding in the slips.

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 12:50
SP. Sorry that was my point really, made with obviously a very poor attempt at sarcasm. Posters have been giving Gregory lots of advice both personal and career and often stated their own view as as fact without a shred of evidence.

He seems to be the latest scapegoat, all a bit harsh when he's just exploring options.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 13:03
Lewis staying out to bowl and practice his slip catching whilst rest of team goes back to dressing room before start of play.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2018 15:13
Nailsea: I thought that was probably the case, I just wanted to make the point anyway. 👍

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 00:38
Not much evidence of not trying anymore from Lewis Gregory at Chelmsford today.

Keeping his captain company for an hour and a half in deteriorating light, scoring 19 off 90 balls to save the match (and keep Somerset third in the table with a game in hand over some counties), when defeat was a real possibility after a brave opening shot at getting the victory runs.

If that is disinterest, long may he remain disinterested.

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 06:18
Would be nice to add "T20 Winning Captain" to the Cv

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
29 June, 2018 09:57
This is what I find frustrating in all this.

We have a professional who is an important component of our setup, seen as a sounding board by his captain, one of the leaders of the bowling attack, a batsman who can do nothing but benefit from playing and training with Hildreth, Trescothick, Davies and Trego but is considering moving to a county who with all respect are presently in seeming disarray.

I'm all for the love of a good woman but he chose a job where being away from family in the season is a pre-requisite.

Is London so far away? Are the London clubs really offering you more than the county who worked with you and for you to put you here making this decision?

Is it really so hard? The decision seems to be in Lewis' hands and while I appreciate how hard it might be I wish he'd appreciate the uncertainty it must be causing in the dressing room (unless they know more than we do) and make up his mind.

(Sm72)

chunkyinargyll
29 June, 2018 13:08
I was sorely tempted to post a link to Bucks Fizz 'Making your mind up', but it was an irritating song 30 plus years ago, and still is today, but if you google the lyrics there is some good advice for Mr Gregory.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net