cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Wickham
Tom Dickinson RIP
Wickham (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 19:04
Tom Dickinson, who played for Somerset a few times in the 1950s, passed away on Monday. Tom opened the bowling for Lancashire, while still at Manchester University, in partnership with the great fast bowler, Brian Statham. On moving to the West Country, Tom played occasionally for Somerset (taking 5 for 36 on his debut against Glamorgan), but prioritised his career as a school-teacher. Cricket's loss was his pupils' gain – as I can testify, being one of them. Tom was an excellent maths teacher – and, more generally, was firm, but fair, with a wry sense of humour.

While Tom was principally a right-handed fast bowler, he would sometimes switch to bowling slow left-arm in net practice. He could also bat with either hand and wasn't beyond exploiting this in a match, long before Pietersen came up with the switch-hit: Bill Andrews relates in his autobiography that Tom once came to the wicket in a Somerset Seconds match with four runs needed and two balls left – having taken up his stance as a right-hander, he switched to a left-hander's stance just before the bowler delivered the ball and pulled the resultant delivery for four.

Tom was a lovely man - he will be missed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 18:02 by Grockle.

Tom Seymour
Re: Tom Dickinson RIP
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 20:37
I too remember Tom Dickinson, who taught at Queen's College, Taunton for several decades.

R I P.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
01 July, 2018 21:00
I recall that my family and I thought of Tom D as some kind of miracle man. He didn't play very often but always seem to produce something spectacular when he did. We just wished he could have played more often.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 08:43
I saw Tom Dickinson play only once, in what I believe was his debut for Somerset at Weston - super - Mare in about 1957.

He and Bryan Lobb bowled virtually unchanged and took 5 wickets apiece v. Glamorgan.

Happy days!

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
02 July, 2018 10:48
I bet it wasn't a happy day for a certain Mr W.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

MisterMurph
MisterMurph (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 05:51
RIP Mr Dickinson. A great Maths teacher, and I couldn’t agree more with Wickham’s words about having a dry sense of humour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net