cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Current Page: 1 of 15
cricketjerry-mouse
Saucy Worcester
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 12:12
Moeen Ali, who captained Worcestershire for the first time in their seven-wicket 20/20 defeat at Durham last night, is back in the ranks against Somerset at Worcester tomorrow.

Brett D`Oliveira returns as captain and Australian Test player Travis Head makes his last appearance as overseas player, before being replaced by South African Wayne Parnell.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/07/2018 22:06 by Grockle.

AGod
Re: Saucy Worcester
AGod (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 12:40
Trevor Bayliss says that he expects Leachy to play the first Test (he said it in the ES yesterday), but, realistically, there may be a 3 way shoot out in this game at New Road.

The track used for the Lions' game seems to have done nada for spin, though, despite this being the driest start to a summer since the famous summer of 1976.

I shall be bitterly disappointed if there's also naff all turn in the track for this one.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 12:51
Ben Cox injured so young 2nd teamer Milton comes in, that can't hurt us......

Their seam attack appears to be from

Magoffin
Barnard
Pennington (u19)
Wood - on loan from Notts
Carter - left Notts a few years back, had reired in 2016

Spin from Moeen and D'Olivera.

Our team obvious to me but fear those in charge won't be as attacking & positive as me.
We WILL play 2 spinners so DO NOT need a 4th medium pacer in Josh.

So it's Tres Eddie Azhar James Tom SD LG Craig Dom Jamie Jack.

Jason Andy Tom dont get this one wrong please......

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 12:57
Playing two spinners is presumably dependent on the strip.

If it’s not spin friendly then I guess it would be TG (is he fit ?) or Josh in for either Dom or Jack.

Question- who is our first choice spinner these days ?!

Grizzzly

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 13:03
There is a 1st test match Aug 1st. Dom played the last 2 tests, Jack wants to play the next 1.
Will the ECB put pressure on to play both!?
We like playing both too.
Given all the dry weather and great forecast i'll be amazed if both dont play.

Timmy G has not played in weeks. Wasnt in 2nd team this or last week or in any of our T20 squads.
I have no inside knowledge but logic suggests he cant possibly be considered with no competitive bowling in weeks.

So really simple decision for 11th player Josh as a 4th medium pacer alongside 2 spinners.
OR
a 90mph option to bowl rapid spells if indeed the pitch is flat and unresponsive.
An absolute no brainer......

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 13:10
I am a great believer in picking your eleven best players. I would unhesitatingly go for WSM's XI (with minor twiddles to the batting order at 7-9, and considerable regrets for George Bartlett).

Cleavo
Cleavo (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 13:49
Taken from club website.

Somerset are still without Tim Groenewald (groin) but Azhar Ali is in line to make his debut. Marcus Trescothick is back in contention following his foot injury whilst Jack Leach and Dom Bess are also available again after returning from England Lions duty.

The Somerset squad for the match is as follows: Tom Abell, Azhar Ali, Dom Bess, Eddie Byrom, Josh Davey, Steve Davies, Lewis Gregory, James Hildreth, Jack Leach, Craig Overton, Jamie Overton, Marcus Trescothick and Max Waller.

A little surprised to see Max Waller in 13 man squad considering he hasn’t played much championship cricket. Useful 12th man to have in the field mind.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 14:02
Strongly suspect that it is nailed on that Max will be 12th man and the 13th person will be able to put their feet up.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 14:04
Very clever move i say.
Bat first, bat big.
Then Tres becomes "injured" and Max fields for their 2 innings, sorted.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 15:03
Or maybe there's a tiny, tiny chance that Worcs might have been ordered by the ECB to prepare a bunsen to ensure that Mo and our two get lots and lots and lots of bowling!?

After all, there's no chance that Trevor Bayliss wants to turn up to watch Steve Magoffin bowling 28 overs, Andy Carter 25 etc...

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 15:08
The thinking behind any such order could go something like this:

Jack Leach has had *one* game this season in which he has done much bowling (Old Trafford).

Dom Bess has had *one* game this season in which he has done much bowling (Chelmsford).

Moeen Ali has had *zero* games this season in which he has done much bowling.

And we have a Test series coming up against India when at least one (Oval) and maybe two (Edgbaston) of the tracks might be expected to turn square in this weather..

... If Old Trafford and Cardiff were also on the slate, then it would be an absolute spin bowling bonanza..

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 18:07
If this is the case (which tbh, I doubt) I'm glad the match is at Worcester, rather than Taunton, where the ground staff are already preparing wickets with the threat of a points deduction following a below par pitch assessment in the final match of last season.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 20:00
Max, surely, is nailed-on 12th man ensuring a more than adequate fielding substitute should anyone (perish the thought) be forced to leave the field. Josh Davey, useful cricketer as he undoubtedly is, surely should be the other non-selection barring last-minute problems.

Can the ECB actually ORDER county groundsmen to prepare (or do their best to prepare, not being magic-users) tracks to a given specification, regardless of the home county's own preferences or the inherent qualities of the soil?

No doubt they would like to be able to - no doubt they think they should - but is it actually enshrined or even implied anywhere?

I would love to see a Bunsen at Worcester on which to unleash our top-class spinners against their reasonably good ones, but despite being a keen supporter of conspiracy theories myself I suspect AG may be entering the realms of fantasy here, Jones.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 20:14
They can't officially make any such order. But who would trust the ECB not to use every possible means of 'influence,' to achieve an outcome that they wanted?

Anyway, I'm not saying I think that's what will happen, just that I wouldn't be shocked if it did happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/07/2018 23:21 by AGod.

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 22:42
Have tickets for the first test. Seeing one Somerset spin bowler in action with the Edgbaston crowd singing him along would just be amazing. As for both, bowling in tandem, well it's interesting times. And we really do need to get the pear against Worcestershire

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 23:54
I expect Max and Josh to miss out. I hope Marcus is 100%, if not get George back in.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 05:56
We all seem to be in agreement on team selection then!

Josh had a decent start to the season and in April May conditions did a job for us.
Given the forecast this week (25c plus every day) i dont see we need a 4th medium pace option when we are clearly going to bowl plenty of spin.

Tom has proved himself capable of that 4th seamer role and if it does go flat it will be great to have that 90mph pace option.
I'm convinced we would have beaten Hampshire with Jamie playing, we had so long to bowl them out he would have made things happen.

A welcome return to proper cricket today, HUGE toss to win, have to bat and bat big.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/07/2018 06:24 by wsm fan.

hantssabre
hantssabre (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 09:43
Worcs win toss and field. No Dom or Max

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/07/2018 09:44 by hantssabre.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 09:47
Toss was pointless, then.

Why bother with it?

Why not Tom: "We'd like to bat."

Worcs Skipper: "Cool, we want to bowl anyway."

Both: "Let's get on with it."

However, WSM was right about team selection and I fear that Andy and Jason have cocked it up if Davey really has been preferred to Dom.

I hope I'm wrong but I wonder if J I D Kerr has a kind of unconscious bias in favour of medium-fast bowlers, having been one?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/07/2018 10:08 by AGod.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 09:57
Live view - [www.wccc.co.uk]

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 09:58
Not only is Dom Bess a better cricketer than Josh Davey in almost every circumstance (save a pitch knee deep in green grass), but, of course, he would have been chomping at the bit to play here, with the Test around the corner. I don't know if there is such a thing as a transfer request in cricket? If there is, I think Dom may well put one in after this.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 09:58
Thanks, Mike!!

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 10:01
But what an abject view it is - awful.

Radio may be needed!

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 10:06
That is bad, I thought they were going to switch to another camera.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 10:20
... and could someone persuade the radio commentators to turn the effects mike down, please.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 10:25
Somebody's ;istening to the listeners! Thanks.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 10:25
They have just said they couldn't turn it down any further, it is thankfully turned off.

chunkyinargyll
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 10:39
AGod- Maybe it has dawned on the Somerset hierachy that if it looks like spin won't play a part there is no earthly point in picking two spinners just for the sake of it.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 10:51
It's forecast to be a hot, sunny match. Okay, there's early life at the moment, but it's very, very hard to believe that the ball is at all liable to zip around throughout.

The track will most likely just be flat. In which case you pick the better bowler, rather than worrying about the type of bowler.

Note: IF we really thought the track would do a lot then we, surely to goodness, would have sent the Pears into bat...

Batting first suggests to me that we expect a good batting deck... in which case Dom should definitely have been the pick (logically).

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 11:00
It was overcast in Wales at 8am but warm and sunny by Worcester. The pitch is dry and Magoffin is being his usual self and probably should have another one. I got in as Eddie left the field - people think he probably didn't touch it.

Marcus sounded pretty plumb people reckon he was out. James has had a few little scares.

(Sm72)

Current Page: 1 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net